2010 California Won't turn over | FerrariChat

2010 California Won't turn over

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by jatkinson, Dec 27, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jatkinson

jatkinson Rookie

Nov 28, 2023
    California
    Full Name:
    Jeffery Lane Atkinson
    Just drove my car two days ago with no issues, but now it won't even try to turn over. I turn the key, go through the system check, and when I hit the start I just get a click. Battery is brand new (Nov 2023) and tested at 12.6V. Checked fuses on battery and all checked out ok. Thinking it might be a starter???

2. Willl

Willl Karting

Oct 8, 2022
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Will
    Most likely your battery, how long since it has been on a tender?

LARRYH likes this.
  3. jatkinson

jatkinson Rookie

Nov 28, 2023
    California
    Full Name:
    Jeffery Lane Atkinson
    Battery is brand new Nov 2023, and it was on a tender the two days that I didn't drive it for.

4. Willl

Willl Karting

Oct 8, 2022
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Will
    If your tender can bring your battery to full charge then the next step would be to have the battery load tested then move on to trouble shooting the rest of the Starting Circuit

Having a dead/bad battery after one month of ownership is not uncommon, bad battery from the factory or a vehicles with high parasitic draw

A side note, on another post you made, you added a new Head Unit etc. in the car, this might or might not be adding to your parasitic draw, you could look this up online, will probable be listed in milliamps.

jatkinson likes this.
  5. Gabmar

Gabmar Rookie

May 11, 2014
    Ontario
    I am not a mechanic, but check to make sure battery terminals are still on tight.

alex and Willl like this.
  6. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Is your tender ok? The Ferrari original is crap

7. jatkinson

jatkinson Rookie

Nov 28, 2023
    California
    Full Name:
    Jeffery Lane Atkinson
    I just tried a 1250amp boost to try and start the car and still got nothing. Checked the fuses and relays for the starter and they all look good. I will say that the brake pedal before had a little bit of give to it when trying to start and now it seems stiff all the time.

8. jatkinson

jatkinson Rookie

Nov 28, 2023
    California
    Full Name:
    Jeffery Lane Atkinson
    I read this thread before, and that's why I got the booster for the battery, yet it didn't do anything. I still think it could be the brake sensor, or maybe I need to buy a new battery even though I did that a month ago.

9. Willl

Willl Karting

Oct 8, 2022
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Will
    Your brake booster is out of boost/air
    You will need to press a little harder on the brake pedal to activate the brake pedal safety switch to start the car

10. jatkinson

jatkinson Rookie

Nov 28, 2023
    California
    Full Name:
    Jeffery Lane Atkinson
    Dealer said try a new battery so I did that, and still no turn over. Tried extra pressure on the brake pedal and still nothing. Even tried pumping the brakes and a little harder pressure and still nothing. Do you happen to know where this safety switch is located?

11. Willl

Willl Karting

Oct 8, 2022
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Will
    Having never stuck my head up the pedal box of my California I looked it up in the California Shop Manual, roughly starting on page 618, section D3.09
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/wsm-workshop-manual-ferrari-california.624481/page-4

From what I can see in the Manual it looks like the safety switch and brake light switch are one in the same
    The switch in question appears to be at the top of the brake pedal

Ferrari says to disconnect the battery and remove the dash to to adjust or replace the brake light switch

jatkinson likes this.
  12. Willl

Willl Karting

Oct 8, 2022
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Will
    If can get your brake lights to light up while hitting the Start Button, you can more than likely rule out the brake light switch as a problem

Carbon Bits likes this.
  13. jatkinson

jatkinson Rookie

Nov 28, 2023
    California
    Full Name:
    Jeffery Lane Atkinson
    The brake lights do come on when I press the brake pedal and try to start, and if I don't press the brake pedal I get the warning on the dash to press the brake pedal. Not sure it's a bad brake switch.

14. Willl

Willl Karting

Oct 8, 2022
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Will
    Sounds like your brake switch is working as it should

Check Fuses (the Cal. T has 8 fuses associated in the Ignition System)
    Check Battery/Starter connections
    Check Starter Switch
    OBD II scan

That's it for the easy stuff I can think of

jatkinson likes this.
  15. jatkinson

jatkinson Rookie

Nov 28, 2023
    California
    Full Name:
    Jeffery Lane Atkinson
    I finally got my car into a dealer, and it turned out to be a loose connection at the starter motor. Thankfully the dealer only charged me for the diagnostic fee ($400).

Willl likes this.
  16. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
    This whole thread, from the helpful-nonjudgmental advice, to the dealer doing the right thing, restored my faith in chat groups.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app