2010 California Yellow Tach Not Backlit | FerrariChat

2010 California Yellow Tach Not Backlit

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Matt Fussell, Jan 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matt Fussell

Matt Fussell Rookie

Jan 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matt Fussell
    Just brought home a 2010 California. It's incredible, but I noticed that at night only the horse and the center ring is lit. The numbers are not lit at all. Is this normal? I have the yellow tach and read somewhere else that it's not backlit, but it's quite the black hole there in the dark. Could it be a fuse or something more sinister lurking?

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
  3. Matt Fussell

Matt Fussell Rookie

Jan 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matt Fussell
    Thanks for this. Something must not be right. The numbers are not lit on mine.

4. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    HI Matt,
    My tach is also yellow and illuminates when it feels like sometimes its on from initial start up then turn the engine off then back on it will be unlit, its not a lose wire as it does not flicker or goff or on over a bump.
    I asked my local Ferrari dealer to take a look and he said how deep are your pockets? He said it would probably be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
    I have the solution and its a very direct cheap quick fix, i will whilst i refit my dashboard after my radio install retro fit a direct wired bulb (same type inserted into the holder) to the ignition switched wire on the hazard warning switch - probably a 30 minute job

Cheers

Andrew

5. Matt Fussell

Matt Fussell Rookie

Jan 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matt Fussell
    Just for anyone else that may come across this...The number lights started to flicker a little at start after driving a little. Plugged the battery tender and hope that this will do the trick. This car has very low miles and I suspect it hasn't seen much action over the last few months. Hoping that this is it. The flicker, I think, is reassuring - may not be the instrument panel - just a low battery. Fingers crossed.

tomc likes this.
  6. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Some of the coloured tachometers light up at night but not during the day. This is to preserve the legibility of the tach numbers in the daylight where the contrast of the black/red numbers is better against a pale background than if they were lit. Our yellow tach on the Cali and white tach on the FF behave this way.

7. Breitling

Breitling Rookie

Aug 15, 2020
    I have the same issue. Did the battery tender trick solved the issue? Is this really a low battery problem?

Mine keep dark and sometimes it flicker a bit, and once after a few minute of flicker then the number light goes back on. It stay on after a week then it go blackout again. It remains flicker sometimes.

8. Matt Fussell

Matt Fussell Rookie

Jan 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matt Fussell
    Unfortunately not. They had to send the tachometer away and I was without the car for 3 weeks. It was fixed by the dealer though at no cost since I had just purchased the car.

9. Breitling

Breitling Rookie

Aug 15, 2020
    Did the dealer tell you what the problem was?

10. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #10 Bill Phillips, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    I changed the tach face plate on my 2013 Cali 30 about a month ago because I wanted a yellow one. I bought a (relatively) inexpensive instrument cluster module on eBay. It had been removed from a salvage car and had a terribly deteriorated (sticky) black surround. I disassembled it to remove the yellow face and found two illuminating rings (the pink ones) under the face plate, one for the center of the tach and a larger diameter one for the outer area. They are attached with stickem and can be carefully pried up and pressed back when finished. These rings are flexible and have two lead wires each which plug into the base unit. If either of those leads pop out of place that ring will go dark. It’s very delicate work but nothing I felt I couldn’t handle by being extremely careful. I kept a detailed list of step by step instructions as I went along. Here are the pictures...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Breitling and vjd3 like this.
  11. Bill Phillips

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
  12. Breitling

Breitling Rookie

Aug 15, 2020
    Thanks for the details Bill, I just don’t have the guts to do it myself but with yours photos see if I can find some technician to fix the light ring for me. Great help

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bill Phillips likes this.
  13. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    When replacing the instrument, was the milage odo meter showing the same value as before?

14. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    How exactly did you manage to unplug thesetwo connectors in the back of the instrument? Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Bill Phillips

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this post of yours. Yes, the mileage remained the same.

16. Bill Phillips

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That rectangular thing on the top of each plug is a bayonet fitting, ie there is a ‘tongue’ which must be depressed while pulling on the plug housing in order to release the catch.

17. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Could you press that tounge just with the finger or is a small tool needed i.e. a flat screw driver?

18. Bill Phillips

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I don’t remember exactly, but it wasn’t difficult.

19. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Ok, I tried a lot the other day with no success, therefor I thought it must be somkind of trick.

20. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson