2010 Ferrari California Brakes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2010 Ferrari California Brakes

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by computersystems, Jan 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. computersystems

Jan 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Thank you. Pads have been replaced once. They are needed a second time, I know for sure pads are due. I just wasn’t sure about rotors. I do in fact think the dealer is taking advantage, as I had earlier realized with another post. Someone said the dealer does best with someone who just asks for service and gives them the keys. That’s me. I have found a very good independent shop and am taking it to them. I think I will let them handle the car from now on.

I do appreciate all of the help. I am not necessarily as much an enthusiast as you all are, but I am hoping that I can learn a lot from you all on the forum, and have already. I would have given the dealer $30,000 if it weren’t for you. You guys practically paid for my outdoor kitchen to be built in time for spring. I’m hoping as I learn more about the cars I can help other members out as well.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #27 4th_gear, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    I believe pads need to be replaced when there is still a fair amount of pad material left (3 mm I believe but please don't assume my recollection is accurate) so the rotors should never show visual damage. For rotor wear, rotors actually must be actually removed from the car and weighed. It's the weight difference that indicates rotor wear. You do not measure their remaining thickness like metal rotors. Of course, if the rotors show physical damage that's a different matter, but they should never show visual damage if they are used correctly.

Always ask to have the replaced parts saved for you so you can inspect them. This is not necessarily to make sure the service shop is honest but for you to LEARN, to see with your own eyes what a defective, or worn or damaged part looks like and figure out how they got that way, so you can warn yourself when you check your car. Your car is only serviced once a year so for the rest of the year your eyes are the only ones that can reveal a problem developing before it worsens. It's like going to see a doctor - they see you for less than 5 minutes and then you may or may not end up in hell of a lot of trouble. That MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL but that is almost identical to car service and repairs. They make no sense at all. Doctors and many service shops expect their clients to be ignorant but that is to your disadvantage. I have spotted so many mistakes made by doctors and my claims were all verified later as correct by those same doctors and others. You always have to verify and to be able to verify you need to become an expert on your own (car and health) problems. That does not mean you can or should do the work yourself, only that you know what work is needed and how it is properly done. Inspection is what takes place when contracted work is completed for a business and it should be no different for yourself. You run your life as a business or you become a prime target for unscrupulous people. I see this happen to good trusting people all the time. You're the one living with and witnessing the symptoms from your car, your body 24/7, not the garage or doctors' clinics.

Educate yourself and shop around for honest, experienced and reputable service, check out the competitors, if you want proper service. Good luck.

3. computersystems

Jan 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I got a call from the independent. They did weigh them and front was 60% left and the rear was 70%, so good news for anyone planning to put high mileage on these cars. Pads were at 2.x mm so those are no good.

3 rotors have deep cracks/chips (both rears, passenger front). 80% of my commute has had heavy construction the past year, so it may be from rocks thrown up from construction trucks/all the gravel etc that has made its way onto the road. I have noticed rocks hitting my PP Film/wheels pretty hard. Windshield also had to be replaced a few months ago. I will get all 4 changed, do not want to take my chances if one shatters. I am going to have to find a new route to work.

I can keep my old rotors when it is done, so I can post pictures and try to figure out WTF happened. He said rotors also have a sandpaper like texture, but that happens over time and itself is not a problem. I won't be able to order from the eBay because of shipping time. I want to deal with parallel parking the Denali XL for as little time as possible. As far as the steel conversion, they have not done any/recommended against it. It will be around $17,000, 7.25% tax included, car will be done this week hopefully.

Raj

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's a stiff price, but if you're gonna keep driving the heck out of her, worth the investment. You need to post some pics of this "garage queen" Raj!
    T

5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Also think of how long those rotors really lasted. CCB doncost more but last way longer unless you track. I have a couple of buddies that track corvettes with CCB and they have to change them out quite a bit. Also doesn’t cost as much as a Ferrari either but also most corvettes usually see a lot more road time and way more are produced.

As to what 4th gear mentioned about salvage parts cars, a 2010 sold on Copart for close to 70k recently. I can’t believe it and mostly attribute that to the part recyclers driving price up because they will get significantly more then that back from the parts however this is only my opinion.

Finally I’m glad you were able to get the information you needed. That’s really what these forums are for. 4th gear probably has some of the most knowledge pertaining to the California, and it appears pretty good knowledge of the T’s as well. While I haven’t made a purchase yet (hopefully the real estate investments I made with my Ferrari fund pan out for one this year) I do rent one 2 or 3 times a year for a week at a time. Of all the exotics I have rented I like the Ferrari’s best. Of those I’ve rented I like the 812 best but realistically the California or California T is what I have my sights on (though the owner of the place I rent my cars from is really trying to get me to buy an FF).

Good luck with the repairs, and finding the new route to work and home. Hopefully you can seriously reduce the rock issues.

6. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I very much agree to retain the CCB but if the op had chosen to do a conversion to steel it would have been interesting to see the life span given the automated use of the brakes at each wheel due to the settings.

I could see where the op would consider a steel conversion given the cost estimate for CCB replacement and trade in value he received. But looks as though he has already decided to stick with CCB so no biggie. Luckily he decided to get on here for advice before spending 30k on a brake job.

7. computersystems

Jan 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Tom, I'll get some pictures this weekend when I go to pick it up. Temperature is supposed to be in the 50s, and sunny!

Azlin, good luck on your purchase! I have had an F430 and California. The F430 was an amazing car, and I wish I had held on when I sold it in 2014. It seems like the values have barely budged since then.

I am glad I could keep the Carbon Ceramics. It's just when you receive a bill as stupid as $30,000, and you know steels would have been $4,000, it really makes you think. I got so much life out of the Carbons that at the $17,000 I am spending, it honestly may end up being almost financially reasonable. If I keep the car for another 100,000 miles, which I intend to do unless I get the Portofino in 1-2 years, it will probably end up costing me less than $5000 to keep the factory spec over switching to steels. That being said, I'd like to see what happens as these cars age and get more miles. Hopefully the deep cracks and chips aren't a defect that many start seeing at higher mileage, when the life is still at 60-70%. If it was just a freak accident, that means most can get 200k+ out of these rotors, if it is street driven. That's insane!

tomc likes this.
  8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You've driven an 812?!? Did you post up your driving impressions on F-chat?
    T

9. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    No, and to be honest I should have never rented it. That car lit a fire in my soul that will never be tamed. Usually I’m not the kinda guy that dreams about the lottery or gambles much but I want one so bad I sure dream about winning a huge jackpot so I can buy one. The only thing that would be icing on the cake would be if it had a convertible top like the Cali or portofino.

If I could put it like this it would be it more or less defines the car I’ve always imagined I wanted.

computersystems and tomc like this.
  10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    599 will light the same fire in your soul and cost 1/3 now. There's nothing you can do at 800 horsepower that you can't do at 600 horsepower with a little more RPMs. I had an amazing 599 and I'm just sick that I let it go. The Cali is great but it's no V12 Ferrari.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.