2010 Reverse button receded in place! Help | FerrariChat

2010 Reverse button receded in place! Help

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mobinakhtar, Oct 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    I recently purchased a 10 Cali and while cleaning it found a Ferrari dealership service paper saying Reverse button pushed in place - Recommend replacing - Customer declined repair.

Then I noticed that R button has kind of sunken into its well - it still works and pushes fine - but has settled about 1mm into its well.

is this easy to remove? Any write-ups? suggestions? I am extremely handy and had a Maserati Coupes for 7 years. Have fixed micro switched to fallen down windows etc.

any removal instruction will be deeply appreciated. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Cml2116

Cml2116 Rookie

Nov 14, 2015
    Tri state area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would solicit the input from Sticky RX. Dave is an excellent resource and refinishes these buttons to a better than factory state. I would suspect he would have a good idea on what failed and if this is an easy fix.

3. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Took a better look today - button is not broken, its sitting at wrong angle in the hole its supposed to be in. If I can pull it out and reseat it - I think it should b same angle as the other two buttons. Cml2116 - thanks for input - I will go to their website and if they help - I will post it here so others can benefit.

4. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Here is Robbie's Reply from StickynoMore: We do not deal with the cars directly, just the parts. So I am not sure how to reseat it. Robbie

I understand what he is saying - Does anyone have a tech manual on the cali?

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    That switch is held in place by two screws to the inside of the carbon fiber panel. It looks like one of the brackets that one screw uses to retain the switch has broken off. This switch is only available with the other two switches (PS, Auto) and is over $1300 from Ricambi (more from the dealer), which is probably why the repair was declined. Perhaps it can be repaired? Someone will have to take the top of the console off and inspect what has happened to the switch.

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you, Chris.

When practical, we repair parts. In fact, we do repairs often. These buttons have some history in that 430's and 599's had rubber buttons that disintegrate. Your button should be hard plastic that is spring loaded. As Brian said, the back side mount my be the issue. Brian is also correct that the buttons are not sold separate. Here is a photo of a refinished set and you can see the housing tabs - if broken, we can fix it or you may certainly fix it yourself. We often bury metal rods in when we fix parts to keep them very strong. But gluing usually does not hold up. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Joshcruz713 likes this.
  7. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Dave - You Rock! Thanks - The picture is exactly what I needed to see. At this time, its purely cosmetic and does not hurt any operation so I will ignore it. In future I might brave myself to fix it. In my case, I an imagine the front screw hole to have broken off. Unlike other two buttons, R button does not appear to have additional plastic bracing hence the week link is the screw part - leading in failure to hold it in place.

For anyone interested - I saw On Ebay a complete set of three buttons for $500 buy-it-now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-California-F1-Reverse-Lever-Unit-Used-P-N-259587-/302324920091?epid=1554954385&hash=item4663f82f1b:g:KJwAAOSw-3FZIyjP&vxp=mtr

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'd highly suggest you fix it before it gets worst. Likely a very simple fix.

9. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The switches for the carbon fiber console have a different part number from the standard switches that you found on ebay and the huge price tag. I would repair it before the other tab breaks off of the switch and then you have a more difficult repair.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    (Not being able to reverse would be a complete pain)

11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    In the worst case , how deep would the switch sink down and would it still be operated?

12. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    I don't think it will sink any further as I am very careful with it. Worst case - in my opinion is if it breaks off completely, I will open it and put a piece of hard foam under it so it cannot sink again. There is not much room inside anyway for it to sink in and be lost. Like I noted before, its purely cosmetic. I didn't even notice it until I saw paperwork declining work for like $2100.

13. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    When the rest of the switch breaks off, It will cease to be what you call a "cosmetic" issue and become a functional issue. Not being able to engage reverse is a fairly important functional aspect of driving the car. The car is letting you know that it needs to be repaired. Now is the time to do it, before you end up having to spend $2100 on it.

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I agree with this assessment.
    Perhaps it can be done $1300 cheaper by repairing rather than replacing. I’m sure it’s a fixable issue. Carbon fiber is plastic which can be re glued by those who know something about polymers and LED curing .
    I’m not sure how difficult it is to take apart the bridge. I’ve done some interior switch repairs by myself. It takes some trial and error and some research. Im not sure if it is worth saving money on . Probably best handled by a Ferrari technician.

15. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    If I can figure out how to take apart my CF bridge, I am very confident that I can repair it. I have worked with similar switched in my Maserati before. Fortunately I had a service manual on it that showed how to disassemble different sections. Wish we can find something similar for our California's.