2010 Transmission seal | FerrariChat

2010 Transmission seal

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by CA1088, May 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CA1088

CA1088 Rookie

May 11, 2018
    Hi All - I hope some can shed some light on this question here.

I am very brand new to F cars. As a matter of fact I am about to pickup a 2010 California from a non-ferrari dealership. I had a PPI done today and a couple of things came up.

Power seats. He says it binds a little, when I test drove it, I did not see a problem as I was adjusting the seats. He says the cost to fix it is $1200 and he split half with me. Not a big deal at all.

Here's where I am concern:

Transmission seal has moisture on it. Not leaking. The techs saw it after putting it up on the lift. The dealership was very honest and told me about it, because honestly, I would never know. He told me that it can be lack of driving? Car has 16K miles (2010). At the moment he says it is not necessary to change, but if I did end up having to repair it, it would be a cost of about $5000. Tech says it might fix itself as I drive it more often and the seal expands, but who knows?
    The question: Have any of you had this diagnosis before and how did it turn out? Should I be very concerned or is the risk minimal and I should pick it up anyways. I have read horror stories on here (yes, I am a rookie that actually tried to search it prior to posting), about $29K transmission replacement.

Again it is a 2010 California, 16K miles. Non ferarri dealer. No warranty. I plan on driving maybe 5-7K miles (maybe less, I have 2 other commuter cars). This car is really to have for the few weekends I may have some free time.

Besides, these couple of problems, the car checked out perfectly. It is very nicely optioned, stitching, carbon wheel with led lights, etc. Plus the dealer was very nice (it's nerve wrecking to walk into a supercar dealership sometimes haha).

Thanks

2. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    The seal isn’t what causes the high dollar repair it’s the speed sensor and other gremlins internal to the DCT that cause the issue. Having given the car a proper once over and knowing that the major issues with early California cars is the DCT sensors, roof position sensors, and premature engine mount failure you know where you stand. The question is, is the car in the right price range for you, and does it check off all your must haves. I’d gamble that the deal will expand and if it doesn’t at least you know what the replacement costs upfront.

As far as the issues the early Californias have it’s not like any of them save a total DCT failure is really that big of a deal and while while transmissions have been needed in some cars most only require about an 8k repair to replace the speed sensor so the downfalls aren’t near as bad as they could be especially considering you’ll never have to replace the clutch as it is a life of the vehicle item. Good luck with your purchase should you choose to do so.

3. CA1088

CA1088 Rookie

May 11, 2018
    Azlin thanks for the input. It does checkoff all the boxes and then some. Car looks and sounds amazing. Price is in my price range. I think it’s a great entry car to the F world.

I have been searching to see if there are any signs to look for if the speed sensors or mounts problems, but from what I have searched here, it seems like it just happens. Kind of a risk I guess. But with any risk, we try to minimize them. I understand it’s a risk to drive and maintain these cars, but wanted to be some what prepared. Thanks again and if you have anymore input, I’m all ears!

4. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I purchased a 2010 in October and the F dealer went through it extensively. Nothing with the T seals though. Engine mounts were replaced and seem (from reading every thread in this forum prior to purchase!) to go around this mileage. I bought mine with 14k miles and just turned 16k last weekend....only driving it on occasional weekends locally...when I have time. You’ll find that you’ll want to make time!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If you wanted to purchase a Ferrari New Power warranty on the car, you can do so at any Ferrari dealership, provided it passes inspection and the maintenance is up to date. It's around $4500 a year. I'm not sure it would cover the seal on the transmission, though, if I remember correctly it excludes "leaks." But it would cover the top mechanism and the gearbox, as well as other major components.

6. CA1088

CA1088 Rookie

May 11, 2018
    I did not know this was an option, even if I bought it from outside from a non ferrari dealership? Interesting...thanks!