2011 458 Italia Gearbox Light | FerrariChat

2011 458 Italia Gearbox Light

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ggear, Sep 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ggear

Ggear Rookie

Aug 26, 2017
    On two seperate occassions, my 458 italia gearbox light lit up while driving. However, I could shift through all the gears (1-7, N, R) in both auto and manual. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary while driving. The light disappeared after I turned off the car, waited 5-10 seconds, and restarted it.
    Any idea what's wrong? Sensor problem maybe?

Thanks for your help, it's been a worry for me as I know gearboxes can cost around $20k out of warranty.

2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    How far apart were these two occasions (timing wise)?

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My suggestion is have the dealer pull the codes and go from there. It's hard to tell but whatever caused it should be revealed then.

4. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Certainly sounds like a sensor of some sort to me. Like a loose connection. Bring it in for sure.

5. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
    Was having the same gearbox problems.
    On my 2013 Italia. (7200 miles). The car was still in
    extended warranty. The light would come on usually in hotter weather. Would usually go
    out with a restart of the car.
    Sent to dealer and this is what they did to fix it:
    "Removed gearbox, Removed CCP and replaced sensors
    for odd and even clutches. After
    gearbox installation, set fluid levels, performed valve cleaning as directed and Test drove"
    No more gearbox lights.
    3,000 miles later with no problems.
    If you have any questions please feel free to call me. (913) 706-3608
    Good luck,
    Don

6. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Don - What was the cost to have this done?

7. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    damn.....so it happens even on newer models and low mileage cars...arrrrgggg

Labman likes this.
  8. Gofast430

Gofast430 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Don Dearmore
    It was under warranty.
    Sorry

9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    This. Also check if battery is holding its charge. Faulty/low voltage batteries tend to send erroneous codes of all sorts.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Yes .... it's Italian .... :(

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sensors fail. No car is immune.

12. Ggear

Ggear Rookie

Aug 26, 2017
    Wow, thanks for all your help. I'm betting it's a sensor issue at the moment. The weather is quite hot and humid in Hong Kong, so that may have caused the sensor to go crazy.

13. Ravers

Ravers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hinsdale Il
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Any idea of the cost to replace the sensor? I am hearing 6k in chicago

jbswiss likes this.
  14. Ravers

Ravers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hinsdale Il
    Full Name:
    Rick
    My ediff light is coming on at slow speeds and its 45 degrees outside.... Sensor?

15. Ggear

Ggear Rookie

Aug 26, 2017
    Not sure, I just left it as it very very very rarely comes on. Also, it goes away after a restart.

16. Ravers

Ravers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hinsdale Il
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Local Ferrari mechanic says that if your battery dips low it can present sensor lights to come on during a drive.
    My battery is new and I tested it sitting. 12.4 volts. Mechanic says that is too low and could be triggering faults. I guess the moral of the story is plug in the battery tender always

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Battery should give 13.2 volts imo, engine running 14.2 ... am I correct here ?

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  18. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I can confirm that's also about right on mine (2011 Italia).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

19. Ravers

Ravers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hinsdale Il
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I replaced my interstate Battery with another AGM. And gave it a full charge overnight. Hooked up the voltmeter and went for a drive. Voltmeter showing 14.1 approximately for most of the drive. Turn off the car come back 10 minutes later and the battery is showing 12.5 volts prior to start. Should I suspect there is a drain?

20. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    After a drive, the battery should have stayed at 12.8+ volts for a lot longer than ten minutes. Especially a brand new one.

Looks like you have either a bad battery or a bad current drain. I would look at the current drain first. Do you have any aftermarket electronic items (radios, trackers, radar detectors) installed?

21. Ravers

Ravers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hinsdale Il
    Full Name:
    Rick
    No accessories. It sits around 12.7 but once I open the door it dips to 12.4

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Imo, thats "normal" in a 458 ... :D

23. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    Oh, you didn't say you opened the door. When you open the door, you trigger a substantial current drain from the car electronics and various courtesy lights. It is normal for the battery to drop in voltage while the door is open. But it should recover back to 12.7 volts within a few minutes of closing the door.

24. Ravers

Ravers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hinsdale Il
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Cgear, I have replaced the battery with a new one and I have driven the car 15 times. The E diff light came on twice. Both while I was idling at a stop.
    One mechanic says idrive it, because it's been sitting on the floor for a year. The other mechanic says have the sensor pack replaced for 18000.
    Since the performance is not affected I tend to think I should just drive it. And hope it works itself out. Thoughts?

25. SDSferrari

SDSferrari Karting

Apr 2, 2014
    Southern California
    I have a 2010 458 and after 6 months of ownership in 2016 (approximately 12,000 miles), the E-Diff light started coming on. It didn't come on every drive, but I noticed it would come on on the longer drives consistently after 30 minutes or longer. There were no performance issues at all. The car drove normally and shifted normally. I too was told it might be the battery and that it might just clear itself over time. After a month of the E-Diff light continuing to come on, I took it to the Ferrari Dealer. It was diagnosed as having a faulty pressure sensor. At that time, the car was under New Power warranty and the complete gearbox was replaced. I have heard that now they are able to just replace the faulty sensor, without replacing the entire gearbox. I do not know if the fact that the car had a warranty, was why the gearbox was replaced rather than just the sensor, or if at that time, the was replacing just the sensor was not an option.