2011 458 Italia Gearbox Light | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2011 458 Italia Gearbox Light

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ggear, Sep 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ravers

Ravers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hinsdale Il
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thanks Cgear!
    Does anyone else know whether ferrari has found a way to deal with sensor pack issues without 18k charge? Is so, can you tell me which one? I will ship my car.
    I called two US dealers Yesterday and heard quotes from 5k out east, and 10-18k in the south.
    I realize a gearbox out issue isn't cheap, but my understanding from reading the forum, is that ferrari/getrag have found a workaround and more efficient repair. It's just a mystery finding someone to validate that..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #27 Melvok, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    How about Ferrari of America ?

They must be able to tell you all about it imo.

What can the guy "in the East" tell you ?

Our main dealer here has the equipment and the specially trained staff to do it themselves.

They go for a testdrive with computer hooked on and try to locate signals.

GB comes off and they replace the faulty board(s). Job of about $ 5000

3. Ravers

Ravers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hinsdale Il
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Guys, I have narrowed down my yellow EDiff recovery light trigger. It only happens when the car is relatively cool(first 5 minutes or so), and only slowly(5mph or slower) approaching a stop with a rippled surface. Does this sound similar to your issues?

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hve you ever hooked up a OBDII sensor ?

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Faulty sensors are a known problem.
    Your car is a 2010 model. A question : what caused the sensor failure.

Was it due to a faulty design of the sensor or maybe they don’t last more than 7-8 years.. If so did Getrag improve the sensor so that the new box will be less likely to suffer the same problem again.

As far as having the box replaced vs having it repaired, I think you were better off having the entire box replaced. Why? Your entire box is now covered by a 2 year warranty for the part and labor. Even if your extended warranty runs out and you decided not to buy another year extension your DCT is covered by the new part warranty.

Please chime in if I’ve got this nuance wrong.

6. Ravers

Ravers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hinsdale Il
    Full Name:
    Rick
    No I have not but Ferrari has had it on their computers. Ferrari had them check the wiring before suggesting to take the transmission out, and replace sensor Pack & clutch basket.

7. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Thanks for your help, it's been a worry for me as I know gearboxes can cost around $20k out of warranty.[/QUOTE]

FYI. - Gear box is repairable - remove, strip, replace sensor, rebuild - circa 6k from dealership

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  8. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    FYI. - Gear box is repairable - remove, strip, replace sensor, rebuild - circa 6k from dealership

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

And they guarantee their work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Absolutely right. We should keep insisting upon informing this here on the forum, to debunk false gearbox myths. I know sometimes the truth doesn't hold up against one great horror story of 15, 20, 25k gearbox repairs, that's human nature. Nevertheless, we should keep the record straight and inform people that the gearbox is one of the greatest features of the 458 which, in turn, is one of the greatest Ferraris of all time. It's not a cronic disease nor a money pit. It's normal maintenance issues that every car may or may not encounter, let alone an italian exotic super sports car.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Baitschev likes this.
  10. SDSferrari

SDSferrari Karting

Apr 2, 2014
    Southern California
    I was not told the cause of the sensor failure. I have heard that the 2010 and 2011 models were more prone to gearbox issues than later models, so perhaps improvements were made to the gearbox. I agree that having the entire gearbox replaced was better for me, but was unaware that I the replacement gearbox would carry a 2 year warranty. I am not going to renew my Power Warranty this year as I have not had any issues on my 458 other than the gearbox sensor issue.

Labman likes this.
  11. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    #36 Tides, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FYI. - I believe that most problems with the gearbox were due to a speed sensor failure, as was the case with me. - the repaired box came with a 3 year guarantee from the dealership

Baitschev likes this.
  12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    GOOD INFO !

I still recall some posters who insisted that dealers were not able to repair for about K$ 6 or so as I indicated ...

Labman likes this.
  13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Your old box may have been harboring other 7 year old plastic sensors which were on their way to failure as well, but who knows!
    So with a brand new box and a 2 year warranty, it might not be a bad bet to save 5k and skip the extended warranty extension as you are considering.

But what about the following year? If you want to keep the car, Ferrari has introduced a new warranty program which can cover up to the 12th year and be implemented even if there has been a gap in the extended warranty coverage. I don’t know what it costs but sounds like a nice way to go.

Labman likes this.
  14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It's most probably not a new box but his own, refurbished.

Not that this matters much .... let the numbers (on the gb) speak ...

15. Redcarpet

Redcarpet Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login My 2013 spider with 35k km had the same e-diff light last month. Gearbox operates normally but e-diff orange light switch on at very low speed time to time. My dealer replaced the « ccp kit » in the gearbox under power guarantee. I didn’t found any reference to CCP in the technical documentation.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Great info, thanx for posting !

And ... is the light now gone forever ? (I hope) ... :D

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
  18. Redcarpet

Redcarpet Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    Interesting, thank you. My dealer should return my car mid January. Will ask more technical details.
    Btw: is the a way to download the whole part reference guide as one searchable PDF?

19. Redcarpet

Redcarpet Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    Interesting article regarding Ferrari clutch operation.
    https://www.google.fr/amp/s/aldousvoice.com/2014/08/07/ferrari-f1-clutch-operation/amp/

CCP is described as Self Calibrated Closed Clutch Position (CCP)

One of the most important parameters used during the clutch operation is the Self Calibrated Closed Clutch Position (CCP). This is the distance, in mm, of the release bearing from the flywheel when the clutch is fully closed. In order to open the clutch, the release bearing must move towards the flywheel (forward of the CCP) and act on the diaphragm.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The action of the release bearing between the Clutch Open Position and CCP is carefully controlled by the TCU and choreographed in conjunction with the torque output of the engine. The other important parameter is the Punto Incipiente Slittamento (PIS), slip beginning point in English. This is the distance from the CCP that the clutch first starts to bite on the flywheel. It is measured in mm.

20. Ravers

Ravers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hinsdale Il
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Great information bubbling up. It is apparent to me that Ferrari isn't certain what is causing the problem, or being completely open about it.
    I find my ediff light warning is sensitive to voltage changes. One of my theories, and I know it sounds crazy, is listening for the high speed readiator fan kick in when approaching a stop. That voltage surge on a cool engine and morning battery is enough to trip up my ediff gremlin.
    For some strange reason my fan kicks on during cold weather warm ups.
    This is just my latest Theory. I am told my ECU needs to be reprogrammed for proper radiator fan operation.

21. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Being that these gearbox lights can pop up in what seems any year 458, I think the title of this thread should be renamed “458 Italia Gearbox Light” so as not to taint the 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown

This information only pertains to the previous generation F1 gearboxes and has nothing to do with the DTC gearbox used in the 458/488 Italia. The amount of disinformation regarding DTC gearboxes in this thread is ludicrous.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  23. Redcarpet

Redcarpet Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    So what’s your analysis regarding ediff please? We are all here to learn and contribute as much as we can.

Ravers likes this.
  24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    This is a very interesting article about the 360 F1 dry clutch transmission.
    Obviously somewhere along the line someone got the info or was told the wrong reference information.

Since this thread is about the 458 gearbox, this article and diagram are irrelevant,

Having said that, since I enjoyed owning a 360 with the F1transmission, I would like to chime in about that dry clutch transmission.For whatever reason, I’ve always been keen on tpreserving the clutch in a car. So one of the things my service advisor suggested was to have the system calibrated for my driving style

My advisor was extremely experienced, spoke perfect Italian and English, and was on a racing team beforehand began his aftermarket service career. (I only mention his skills in Italian because the technical courses were conducted at the Factory and I imagine at that time a fluency in Italaian was advantageous to learning the technical details)

Anyway, to please me, he volunteered to ride along as I drove so he could observe my pedal and shifting inputs. Afterward I left the car so the F1 transmission could be evaluated and adjusted

With the F1transmission one can get a measurement of clutch wear without having to open the transmission. In my case, I found that the diagnostic was fairly accurate. I always asked for a print out of the diagnostic transmission report. On one occasion when the old read around 45;000 miles a warning light came up and I was unable to engage the clutch.The diagnostics revealed that a bad sensor was the culprit which necessitated opening the transmission. The diagnostic report said that my clutch had roughly 22% wear. In other words there 78% of meat left. He said that they would verify it when the box was opening and replace the clutch if it was worn in order to kill two birds with one stone.

When I picked up the car, he told me that the diagnostic was spot on and that my original clutch was only 25 % worn, so the diagnostic was accurate after all,

At the end of my ownership, my 360had logged close to 70K miles with the original factory clutch. The clutch readout was still good too.

One of the parameters which my mechanic had adjusted early in my ownership, was the PIS. If you have some experience driving with a manual, and if you are precise with the pedal play and are aware of the optimal sihift points, the F1transmission can be set up to last
    Nice article!

However different car!

I loved my 360!

PIS adjustment and knowing how to shift a manual were keys to making that clutch last. And it could. Mine lasted close to 70K!

25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    That may be your opinion, but there is also very good info on the 458 DCT here ..... at least for some of us ...