2011 Cali instrument panel frozen | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2011 Cali instrument panel frozen

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Stercrazy, Nov 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    Battery was replaced March 2015. So it’s 3 1/2 +years. I hope that it is the battery and nothing else. Should be able to answer that tomorrow.
    I see how finicky these high performance European cars are with electronics, I have an 06 Porsche that stays on a tender since I didn’t drive it for two or three weeks and the battery went flat.
    It’s crazy they do not have some on board real time analysis of the battery condition.
    Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Absolutely. Huge omission of an obviously critical subsystem. What the hell are car markers thinking???????????????

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Stercrazy...Do you have HELE (start -stop)? If so, you need a special AGM battery...T

4. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    I do not have HELE. Tech visit yesterday showed battery, 39 month old Interstate to be OK. Alternator may be sub optimal. Nothing conclusive. Driving every day to see if problems show up. Got 600 mile trip to FL planned on Friday, hasn’t failed me yet, plus Ferrari of Tampa bay about 10 minutes from my condo so I’m risking it.
    Wish me luck.
    And all the problem with the display was corrected, everything working normal. Car drives great.

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good luck. 600 miles in a Ferrari in the Florida sun? Oh yeah, that sounds like a chore!
    T

6. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    I just finished my 9 hour 10 minute 583 mile trip from NC to FL. No problems. I think the alternator may be getting weak but is borderline according to my voltage readings. If it breaks down here I’m only 10 min from the dealer. And I have the new power warranty.
    Am I an outlier? Just passed 10,000 miles in 13 months of ownership no repair expense other than oil changes and a brake flush which was probably not needed since I do not and will not track this car and boil the fluid.
    I want to thank all who responded to my Frozen Cali instrument Panel query. I learned a lot and learned I have a lot more to learn.

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^10 thousand miles in a little over a year. That is an outlier!
    T

8. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Love to drive that car. Didn’t buy it to look at. Even though I would have bought it if it had a 200hp engine in it. If it ain’t raining I drive it.

4th_gear, tomc, Avia11 and 1 other person like this.
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Don't blame you. That red interior against the white is super sharp looking...T

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I used to be completely anti red interior, but after renting the 488 spider that was white that had a red/black interior im not so anti red interior anymore.

11. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    4th_gear likes this.
  12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    LOL. Don't post that on a Porsche enthusiast forum!
    T

Miami4me likes this.
  13. Stano

Stano Rookie

Jan 12, 2022
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Stan Sarnowski
    Paul, I just purchase a 2013 Cali and am having the same issue you had - the cluster remains frozen even after turning the car off - all dash lights on. What was the fix? I'm freaking out, PLEASE HELP lol my email is [email protected] or you can call or text 407-929-8259

14. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Had it happen once years ago on my Cali. Dealer removed ground from battery for 10 min then put it back on and did the startup procedure for a new battery installation. Fine after that.

SV

15. Stano

Stano Rookie

Jan 12, 2022
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Stan Sarnowski
    Thanks SV. I’m probably the newest newbie not only to this forum but also to Ferrari ownership. In looking at the battery location, doesn’t seem the negative is very easy to get to? Was this a recurring problem for you? Any idea what the post dead battery startup procedure is?

the lights are now off so I guess the battery is dead. I ordered a battery tender and have a jump pack. Assume I can safely connect the pack to the positive and ground the negative vs connecting to negative on battery? Looks like there is a specific grounding location just above the battery.

Did dealer tell you what the cause of this was? Trying to convince myself it’s not a big deal but all the what ifs keep popping into my head. Anxiety. Thanks so much for your response and help.

16. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Bad software. May have only seen it once IIRC.

You can check to make sure the infotainment and dash display software are up to date.

As I recall the technician was able to liberate the ground without too much difficulty.

SV

17. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    These cars are extremely sensitive to battery condition and the slightest degradation, even if testing shows the battery to be good, will cause all sorts of problems. Do yourself a big favor and install a new high quality battery. Here are two threads with everything you need to know to install a new battery.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/changing-battery-on-california.643788/#post-147961056

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/diy-battery-replacement-in-2014-california-non-hele.632052/#post-147943443

18. Stano

Stano Rookie

Jan 12, 2022
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Stan Sarnowski
    Thanks all for the feedback. Update here, I let the battery run out completely and recharged - issue fixed. Sort of a reset if you will. As a note, on restart the radio was dead. Took it to my local Ferrari shop who did a static reboot and all is well. I’ve since bought a ctek charger and the car sits on that whenever not in use.

Bill Phillips likes this.
  19. Mcnett

Mcnett Rookie

Aug 7, 2022
    Motob Stercrazy, and 4th gear,
    THANK YOU!
    I had the exact same thing happen and I just fixed it…..and ordered a new battery.
    You guys are awesome!