2011 GP of Japan -Race - *Spoilers* | Page 11 | FerrariChat

2011 GP of Japan -Race - *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'F1' started by Etcetera, Oct 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    With 4 races left to go.

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Interesting thing is LH saying to the BBC post race that he needs to find some pace somewhere. That is something one rarely hears from him. Jenson is making this car work better in a race vs qualy. Thats the difference isn't it!! The RACE!

3. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #253 kraftwerk, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
    I reckon its quite simply the fact Lewis eats his tyres up faster than Button, he is much harder on them with his style, he maybe faster at times but because he uses the grip up faster it is Button that wins out in the end.

Button has the car and tyres suiting his style at the min, plus the fact he is smoother and less aggressive.

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Button also hits fewer cars.;)

Sorry Ian. Call it the Pabst syndrome.
    Appollogies to SNL

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

If true the LH should and must adjust at some-point? Im a bit perplexed. He is a gifted racer and I do not think he lacks intelligence about his sport. Something is just not right or its just a streak that should end. I for one will not be counting him out of the fight for another win or title anytime soon! LH is a gifted racer and still quite young!

6. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well he hit Lewis..;)

7. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Lewis was askin fer it.
    ;)

8. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yer dead right D.

IMO Some of the other drivers have been giving him a hard time, as well.

The Mclaren car IMO has been around 2nd most of the year, Ferrari nearly matched it a couple of times.

I just think LH felt he was the only one that could possibly catch Vettel up, but the lap of the gods always seemed to put him on his back foot, and in pure frustration he tended to make matters worse, like trying to overtake in Monaco, his car was capable of giving Vettel a run for his money, he knew that, the other drivers knew that, and were not happy about the manner he was doing it.

The problem he has is his enemies on track, I can't see that changing any time soon though.

9. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Lewis' problem is not his "enemies" but his attitude.
    If he had half of Jensen's patience he'd have twice his results.

10. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Probably,your right, but how can he endear (for want of a better word) himself now, he is a racer and wants to beat everyone and everything in front of him, it has been his achilles heel weakness, from the get go.

When he first entered F1 he caught everyone out, now everyone has wised up to his diving see a gap overtaking style.

His enemies shut the door pronto, MS has proved that.

11. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    As with all of us his strengths and his weaknesses are two sides of the same coin.
    As far as how he's being treated on track, turnabout is fair play ay wot?
    :)

12. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    True enough, but I really don't care for ganging up on any driver though.

13. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Neither do I but they seem to be doing it one at a time.
    :)

There is an unofficial code of conduct in most sports policed from within. That may be what we're seeing here.

14. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hahaha thats ok then..:eek:

15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    +1 on all points.

I think he has more enemies than just Massa and Schu (although they are his main adversaries). Like we've discussed, there is probably some unofficial "edict" out to make all races as difficult as possible for him.

I don't know that he'll ever repair the bad relationships. He's going to have to figure out how to beat them without crashing out all of the time.

16. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Call it the "Jordan rules"....

Agree with this whole discussion. Lewis' style is what it is, but he has to deal with the consequences now. I personally like his aggressive passes and balls-to-the-wall driving style, but he's got to know how to make that work while respecting the fact that cooperation with other drivers is still required for wins.

17. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Be still my heart. I thought all drivers were happy except Rubens.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #268 PSk, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
    I don't think I said the same thing, as Button was never managed from the age of 11 like LH has been. The point I was making with LH though is that he has been clearly beaten by his team mate, he is hated on the grid, he is no longer the English fan club poster boy because they have a better driver to support. He is always in trouble with the FIA, his father hates his current manager and he is not winning ... the wheels are falling off, and I bet this has never happened to young LH before because somebody was always there to make things right. Now for the first time probably in his life the only thing that can make LH better in HIS racing career is LH.

Note I also posted in this thread: Button better than given credit for
    So I admit that I called it wrong regarding Button. Give him a good car and he will do a good job, but give him a not so good car and it will perform not so good.

LH on the other hand might be able to lift a not so good car for a few laps, but in the end because he attacks every lap like a qualifying lap his results will always be worse. He needs to differentiate.
    Pete

19. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    This guy, LOL! You're too much.

Still hung up on old Rubens. Nice race the biggest whiner on the grid had on Sunday. (Again, for the millionth time since you're too slow to understand, all F1 drivers whine, but Rubens is in a league of his own...now you can stop with the little quips). Hopefully he can stop pay-driver Maldonado from kicking his ass for the last few races of his career and save a little face before Williams gives him the boot (hopefully for Kimi).

You catch MS's race? Great drive.

20. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    That's the point of maturation, right? Even Alonso made that comment about Lewis' driving (more out of support for his one-time foe than him piling on). That's just one of those things about youth. I mean, we saw Vettel trying to take the race to Alonso yesterday when he has already clinched the WDC. He wanted to win the title from the top step of the podium.

I think Lewis will lose the "I'm the next Senna", music-industry friends and a few-times-around-the-block girlfriend and rededicate himself in the off-season. As you pointed out, this is the first time he's faced adversity. I'm certain it's given him pause to reflect on how to regain his form.

21. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Too late I think, maybe whitmarsh will swap him with diresta or sutil, to make him learn how to drive tactically.... That would be so funny, watching Lewis in a force India while trying to maintain his , it's not Bruno, it's me that's the next ayrton, attitude

22. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Not at all. Lewis is a great talent that will bounce back. He just needs to gain a little humility and things will fall into proper perspective. I think being surpassed by Jensen will be just what the doctor ordered.

23. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
  24. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If you title it something like:

The 2011 F1 Season * SPOILERS *

Then go for it. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

25. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well I'am more referring to the fact you think LH is finished, in melt down.

He is still very young and was thrown in the lime light early on and still is, as every thread seems to end up discussing him whether good or bad.

Ok fair enough on Button.

I will mark this thread for a return.