2011 GP of Japan -Race - *Spoilers* | Page 8 | FerrariChat

2011 GP of Japan -Race - *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'F1' started by Etcetera, Oct 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    button is getting better and better beating hamilton flat in this closing season

applause as well to alonzo taking 2nd in a race ferrari look far behind rivals

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    HUGE difference between giving someone the bird and spearing them with your car because your panties are on three sizes too tight.

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Poor Webs is having an off year. Can't wrap his head around the tires mebbe? 194 points so far is nothing to sniff at, but he's been virtually invisible all year with respect to last year.

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hero to zero mate, F1 fans are fickle, put Ham in Vets car vice versa you get similar results.

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 great race. Vettel got payback from Button about the start. Top race! Well done to FA and Vettel. Good race as predicted.

JB in the driver's seat compared to LH at Mclaren. I honestly never thought JB would outclass him. He does on and off the track it seems.

6. superbike81

superbike81 Karting

Sep 15, 2011
    #181 superbike81, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
    Was glad to see Button win, although I was hoping Alonso was going to close that gap in the last 5 or 6 laps. Watching the timing on my Android F1 app it looked like they were trading off faster sectors tit for tat.

Hamilton and Massa collided right in front of our seats! Wish I would have got video of it, even though it was minor it was really cool to see right there. I wanted to jump the fence and pocket the piece of the wing that broke off, but didn't feel like getting arrested, haha. Took them a while to get the safety car out for it, people were dodging it for a good 3 or 4 laps before it went yellow.

Overall a great weekend for my wife, son, and I. Beautiful weather, Vettel locked up the championship but DIDN'T win, which I was happy about, and Ferrari picked up 2nd place! Only disappointment was Kobayashi, just not quite his race today I guess. The train ride back to the hotel wasn't bad, but on the way there we were packed in like sardines, it was ridiculous. I had the most fun I've had for my birthday (10/8) in a long time, normally I don't do anything at all, this was a great present from my wife. :)

7. superbike81

superbike81 Karting

Sep 15, 2011
    Oh and slightly off topic, it's been about 5-6 years since I've seen a 360 in the flesh (seen others here in Japan, F40, Enzo, F430, etc) and it still amazes me. Saw one as we were headed for the train, had what sounded like Tubi exhaust, low pitched rumble. It amazes me how exotic and modern that car still looks even after being on the market for ~11 years. Absolutely beautiful car, and IMO, the best bargain on the market as far as exotics go.

Sorry for the off topic, was just really excited to see one again.

8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Definitely - it was a great race. :cool:

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Just finished the race on DVR... Pretty dull for a Japanese GP.

10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Very dull Japanese GP indeed. That being said, I will go and eat my humble pie for stating Mclaren's car is better at this track than RB and favored this race having not only won the race but also having the quickest lap times by a good healthy margin. Congrats to Jenson. Great drive there and well deserved.

Schumacher once again declared his dominance to his teammate in race-form. Schu was just infinitely quicker on both tire compounds even when Nico had free air to run. Same in Singapore. Great form Schu.

HUGE congrats to Vettel. Could not have happened to a nicer and more talented guy. I love that guy. Nando and Jenson are nothing short of incredibly classy fellows and I wish them the best for their careers. Great guys indeed. Nando has really turned it around compared to even last season. Maybe it's all the ping pong with the engineers?

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Boring race. Glad I taped it so I could fast forward through it.

Looking fwd to Korea now.

12. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Great race for Jensen....Lewis who?? Schumi looking solid, let's hope Merc has a more capable car in 2012. Props to FA for always being fast no matter what he's in, and not complaining.

13. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Agreed with Schumi outpacing Rosberg again. Actually Schumi did a way better job coming from dead last at Belguim than Rosberg did at Suzuka. Schumi did pass Rosberg for fifth at Belgium, whereas Rosberg could barely get into the points.

14. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    True, but it cannot go unmentioned that passing at Suzuka is very difficult and I believe Nico made the most out of it. Nico had tons and tons of slower traffic trains slowing him up. Still, his lap times were hugely slower than Michael's when Nico and Michael were both in clear air.

15. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Part of me is thinking Webber will start magically performing better now that Vettel has everything locked up. ;)

16. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #191 GuyIncognito, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Anyone notice ham wasn't in the Mclaren team pics after th race, always was before I think, team or his decision?

18. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Great post, so true on all counts, congrats to Jenson and Button. Was hoping for Alonso though.

19. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I loved the photo of Jenson spraying Button with champagne on the podium! ;) :D

20. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    In retrospect it's clear that RB has, at least temporarily, lost it's lead. Seb poled by the skin of his teeth and had to make a desperation move on Button off the line to lead at turn 1.
    Not that he was able to maintain it for long.
    Not to take anything away from RB. No one stays on top for ever and Seb's WDC is well earned. As will RB's inevitable WCC.

Congratulations to Jensen. The only driver in the prerace show who seemed to be enjoying himself.

The less said about Lewis the better.

21. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    #196 ricksb, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
    Don't completely agree. I think this track has only one real "technical" phase through the esses and the rest is mostly long straights or low speed chicanes/curves. Just a case of cars with more high speed being able to negate RBR's aero advantages.

I think Fernando showed why I think he is the best driver on the grid again. He was able to completely control Vettel in a faster car.

Button seemed focused from the start of the weekend to the finish. If McLaren has chosen to hitch their wagons to him, I can understand why. Still, I don't think they're foolish enough to let a young Hamilton go to another team, but Button is CLEARLY the calming influence on McLaren. Hamilton will benefit from a trying season like this one and focus more on his racing craft. I agree with those who say he got caught up in the "star" lifestyle and hanging out with the young, rich and famous. Time to ditch all of that crap and take his privilege as an F1 driver more seriously. He's fast, but reading one's press clippings can be deceptive (especially with a bunch of hip groupies telling you what you want to hear all the time).

I think he's probably gotten enough of a ride out of Nicole also...

22. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I'm not ready to read too much into todays result. Vettel had no reason to fight for anything more than 1 point. Had he challenged Alonso and gone off, what would the pundits be saying?

I think Vettel acted like a mature double-WDC today. Let's see what next week brings before making to broad a conclusion...

23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Seb was getting frustrated and making mistakes until the team backed him off. I think he wanted to win the WDC on top of the podium...youthful exuberance and all.

24. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Bingo!!! I thought I was the only one thinking that..

25. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    He looks like he's using his catheter. :D