2012 FF vs. 2008 599GTB | FerrariChat

2012 FF vs. 2008 599GTB

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Scout123, Dec 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Okay, I wrote a similar post on the 599 page. I am first time Ferrari buyer. I am not ready to spend 458 money yet. That said, I want a V-12 to be my first Ferrari experience. All the reading I have done on this great cite reflects the FFs as being pretty bullet proof, and in my opinion probably the best Ferrari bang for buck right now. The 599 is gorgeous in my opinion. I know they are two different cars for sure. This will be one of two cars I own. I won't call my Ferrari a 2nd car, because I will drive this thing 3-4 days a week year round. So, 599 folks say go for 599. What say you? I will only be buying a CPO. I have found prices for 12 FF and 08 599 to be in my 140k-150 neighborhood with 10-15k miles. Here are factors in play for me:

- fun to drive. F1 vs DCT
    - retaining value if I re-sell 3+ years down the road.
    - over all reliability.
    - valet power
    - service costs, more complicated systems in FF vs. 599?
    - GT cruising (car will make some cross state trips)

I will be test driving both models back to back next month at Denver Ferrari on way to ski trip. People do say FF looks better in person - not that I think it is bad looking, but compared to 599 .....

2. Magnani

Magnani Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I drive an FF, so I’m biased. I’m not sure you can get the same 12 years of extended warranty on the 599? I think 599 is better looking, but the F1 transmission is aging fast. After having a dct, the F1 feels painfully slow unless in race mode at full throttle. And in auto mode it almost feels like something is broken. FF is much better (imo) for driving more frequently, an s-class when you want it, with 599 speed and some practicality. I think they are fairly similar quickness, 599 lighter, but 4wd and dct in FF even things out. I think the 599 will hold value better than the FF. I think driving both will give you your answer.

timjen88 likes this.
  3. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    They are pretty similar in the sense they both would be great cars to drive and own. A 2 seater has a certain intimacy in the cabin that a 2+2 doesn't. It seems like you want to get the gtb so get that as after it you can say to yourself I owned what I wanted not what was recommended to me. It's like deciding between two beautiful supermodels, they will have their certain quirks but both are beautiful and spectacular in their own way. You can't go wrong either way.

It will probably come down to finding the right spec in terms of colours and trim if you are so inclined and that picking that one.

The gtb seems to be holding much their values better in the long term but not by much as an ff is great value for money as it won't fall more than a 612 or 456 and 456s and 575s are pretty crazy money in the Oz market considering you can buy a 612 or ff for not that much more considering what you get.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010
    As a second car the 599GTB is a better choice, a beautiful pure berlinetta that is very much respected and holds a firm position in Ferrari history. The FF is great but I would buy one as a second more usable Ferrari, not as my first.
    Good luck to you!

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Valet power?

G. Pepper likes this.
  6. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Having had both 599 HGTE and still owning an FF, here are my thoughts: no doubt the 599 looks better to my eye, but that is where its benefit over and FF ends. FF drives so much better, faster and better shifts, you cant compare with the old gearbox which has really aged, much sharper steering, much better suspension, point to point much faster in the real world due to the four wheel drive system, with winter tires on it will go anywhere. Much more practical doe to four real seats and large trunk. It drives in a very similar fashion to an F12 which I have also owned. The FF is a real beast and at brices where they are an incredible bargain. No contest imho...

of2worlds, colamclean and timjen88 like this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    bigtime. all day 24/7 365

of2worlds likes this.
  8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    If you're going to drive the car as much as you say you are, the FF is the logical choice, but I don't buy Ferraris based on logic alone. You probably won't either.

The 599 can be sorted out into a reliable car, but it may take some persistence and cash (Or you could get lucky).

The FF can still be had with a warranty, so much less to worry about.

FWIW, I would choose the FF over a 599.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I can only comment on looks which is subjective: 599

10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 599 is fantastic but begins to be outdated; as stated before the FF is more modern. The FF is still a recent used car (with all the benefits of up-to-date technology) while the 599 is becoming a classic, so it really depends on what you are looking for. If you decide carefully, weighting your expectations you cannot be wrong :)

of2worlds and x599 like this.
  11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Wondering about the same thing, too.

12. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks for all the input and advice. I think after seeing and driving both back to back, I will know. Something you can't explain, but know it when you experience/see it.

I call it valet power, but it refers to pulling up to valet, and they are like, no worries, you park it right here and it won't move until you come out. Wow factor.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Both look great. Both are CPOd. Interior nicer on the FF IMO. Drive both, then you'll know...T

14. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    I almost bought that FF about 8 months ago from them. Depends on the use in my opinion, I eventually went for an FF from a different dealer in the end for trips into the mountains here in Colorado with the entire family. FBLOD is my home dealership and they are great on the service side if you are local. Good luck and can't wait to hear which way you go.

15. Cqivchan

Cqivchan Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    I went through a similar process earlier in the year. I had a 575M, and was considering moving to the 599 as a logical next step. Decided to study and drive the FF and Lusso as well. To make a long story short, ended up buying the FF. I am delighted with the versatility it provides. It is by far the most usable supercar I have owned. A great treat to drive, as aggressively or benignly as you choose. Finally, and this surprised me a bit, it is the first exotic I have owned that my bride is truly excited about being in on a regular basis. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #17 Caeruleus11, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    I've had both. I'll try to answer you questions:

- fun to drive. F1 vs DCT
    FF is way more advanced. It was a new platform over the 599. Its a stiffer frame to hang a suspension off. The FF has later generation magnetic shocks and much more advanced handling systems. It also has the 4RM. However, the 599 was Maranello's V12 2 seat sporting GT whereas the FF was their true GT 2+2. So both cars with V12 power but with different missions. I did not care for the FF because at the time I wanted the car to be fun to drive when you really drive it, and at least mine wasn't as much fun as my 599. It Keep in mind "fun" is a subjective word. The FF just always felt big and I could feel the 4RM system working- in a kind of on/off effect. It was annoying- and it felt to me like a first-gen effort. Whilst the DCT is faster shifting going up, the slightly more GT calibration of the system didn't feel any faster than the 599 when on full attack and it actually felt slower and more like a clunky automatic when downshifting. To be sure, the 599 could also be clunky, but single clutch "F1" transmission clunky- if that makes any sense. The 599 also felt big to drive, but really hustle it and it would shrink around me more than the FF. At the time I wanted the FF to be more of a sports car than it was. My other issue was the rudimentary Nav and controls vs my daily driver. So for me the FF wasn't sporty nor GT enough. I was thinking to replace two cars in one. These days, I would feel differently, as I'd look at a car like this as addition. But on pure fun, I would give the nod to the 599. However, if you live in an area with low traction, you might find the 599's difficulty in putting down the power to be frustrating and thus, you might appreciate the trick AWD system on the FF. Finally, I would get out of the 599 and look back and say- wow, thats great looking.... the FF, not so much...

- retaining value if I re-sell 3+ years down the road.
    I suspect they will be similar, and the biggest factor would be the price you pay. But, I have a theory that says there is a demarkation point beginning with the DCT cars (458/FF)- where the DCT makes these cars more desirable to the market than their single clutch forebears. If I am correct, then the FF would likely hold up better. My gut feeling says its close between these two.

- over all reliability.
    I think the FF will be more reliable- its just a newer platform and it doesn't have the clutch wear issues the single clutch in the 599 does. However, with any Ferrari, you need to be prepared to fix items you might not find issues with in other cars. A recent example is on my 458, a steering wheel module which controls the turn signal buttons failed. So I could not use the turn signals. It cost me $2k to replace. It's just part of the deal. On the 599 watch out for the shocks- make sure they are not leaking- and also the F1 clutch. On the FF I would be really worried about the trick 4RM system- if it has any issues, I just get the feeling it would be expensive. I don't know how robust it is, but it is the first production Ferrari with this system....

- valet power
    I take it, you mean which car would get parked up front? In that case, they have the same valet power. These are older designs, but still Ferraris. I wouldn't pull up to a trendy venue and expect to get the prime spot. More important to this - for me anyway- is which one would you rather look at sitting in your garage?

- service costs, more complicated systems in FF vs. 599?
    Addressed above. Though I will say while the Navi in the FF is newer than the 599, thus supposed to be better, I found it pretty crummy and a disappointment. The 599's is just old.

- GT cruising (car will make some cross state trips)
    I think the 599 is a great highway car, but I think the FF likely even better. Its from the longer wheel base and also the dual layer windows etc.

You say you will drive the car year round. I think it comes down to objectivity (FF) vs subjectivity (599, if you prefer the looks).

Mars2k and of2worlds like this.
  17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    When I spoke to FBLOD earlier this year, I was told whether or not it is CPO'ed depends on the final agreed price...even though listed as CPO. You will want to double check that with them.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    Agreed, I talked to them about two different FF's, CPO'ed and then when we talked price, it was another $8.5k on top for the CPO. There service department has always impressed me, not so much on the sales side of the business.

19. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I can definitely see FoD's service department being impressive. Two of the best independent Ferrari mechanics used to work at FoD (Scuderia Rampante and Maranello Motorworks), thus making Colorado one of the best states to own Ferrari if services are needed.

I agree. Maybe it's their sales tactic. IMO, if it is not CPO'ed, it probably shouldn't be advertised as such.

of2worlds and timjen88 like this.
  20. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    Correct. My understanding is that CPO status only makes you eligible to buy the Ferrari backed warranty on that car.

21. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    It’s variable. I believe the correct label is Ferrari Approved. That lets you buy the CPO. Some are added at “no cost” to push the sale.