2012 NY-Tri-State Spotters Thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

2012 NY-Tri-State Spotters Thread

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Ashman, Jan 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    A gray 430 Spyder merged onto Route 1 South, by the carwash outside Greenwich, around 6:45PM. Sounded great!

Further up the block, at the new McLaren dealership, we saw an MP4 in what looked like McLaren orange (harsh lighting in that place.)

A silver FF, a gorgeous shade of green California, and a red 458 adorned Miller's windows.

That's too much in just five minutes . . .

2. lberrier

lberrier Rookie

Jan 19, 2010
    Saw a pristine F40 up on jacks tonight at a small workshop on the corner of Moonachie and Hackensack in Wood-Bridge, NJ. A wonderful spotting by my wife

Does anyone know the name of the shop? Also, the garage guys said it was owned by a local collector with over 200 cars, anyone know the owner?

(there was also a very rough Lamborghini Espada being worked on as well)

3. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    #128 er72, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Saw a Carrera GT passing 458 Italia on Searingtown Road in Manhasset, NY today. The 458 made a turn before I was able to get my camera out
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. BlackonBlack

BlackonBlack Formula Junior

May 30, 2010
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Guess no-one saw the "Death Race 2012" as it's been dubbed on the GSP round end of March.
    Never even got to see the You Tube before it got yanked.

5. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Shouldn't we be blocking the license plates of cars we post here?

6. Sherm

Sherm Karting

Jul 7, 2005
    Central Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tom
    silver Mclaren MP4-12c this morning in the rain going west over the Newark Bay extention of the turnpike (Exit 14-a-b-c).

7. gtbfever

gtbfever Rookie

Jul 4, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Why does everyone care about blocking out plates??

8. smglop

smglop Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2005
    I believe the wrong type of person could perhaps use the plate to find out who the owner is, where he lives, and possibly where the car is sleeping when not being used. I could be wrong though.

9. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    If you have access to name and address info on registrations, wouldn't you also likely have access to make and model?

10. smglop

smglop Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2005
    I can't tell if you think it's a good thing or bad thing. Could you clarify your point a little more? Thanks!

11. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Because the avalanche of information that's easy to get with someone's plate is the property of the citizen -- not the State's, the Public's, etc.

Want the info? Negotiate for the owner's consent.

(There's no freedom without individual sanctity.)

12. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Granted plates can be seen on public roads & all that.

But as a courtesy, most folks blank plates on this site. It's just being nice.

13. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    My point is that posting the picture inclusive of the plate provides one thing only, and that is to tie the plate to the car make and model. If someone has the ability to tie the plate to the owner, then they likely can already tie the plate to the make and model. Hence the pic provides no additional help or information to the unsavory dregs of society. I don't think it's a privacy violation.

However, I agree with ClydeM in that I'd blank out the plate anyway out of pure courtesy.

As an aside... to me, any discussion regarding privacy should start with the question of whether registration should be required, or a State function in the first place.

14. smglop

smglop Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2005
    Understood.

15. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    The privacy violation comes from the idea that because government issues plates, the name and address that goes with a set of plates can be ascertained by anyone -- from there, a whole bunch of personal data that should be private can be gathered.

Knowing that this is the case, posting the license plates of others erodes their privacy even more than this policy already does.

Anyway . . .

Nice car, one that seems destined to go down as the last "analog" hypercar.

16. smglop

smglop Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2005
    Well said. And also the fact that driving around town is one thing, but the car with plates on the internet can be seen worldwide. Much bigger audience.

17. gtbfever

gtbfever Rookie

Jul 4, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Oops!! Sorry, I think I hi-jacked this thread! Will not do it again!!!! :)

18. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Saw a orangish red BMW M1 on the Henry Hudson Parkway this afternoon. Sounded great!

I don't think I have ever seen one being driven on the road before, or at speed at least.

I think the owner is on the board too. Glad to see the car out being enjoyed.

19. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    I am very sorry for posting a picture with the license plates. For some reason I am unable to edit the post or delete the picture. Does anyone know how to do this?

20. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    I'm sure I've never seen an M1 on the road. Also, don't think I've seen one in pictures that wasn't white. Great spot!

Speaking of never seen before: Citroen GS 1200 Club parked in Chelsea last night.

21. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Once the editing window has passed, the only thing that I can think of is to drop a pm to one of the mods and ask them to take care of it. I don't know if they have the ability or the time to block off the plate or they just may delete the post.

22. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    How does one block out the plate when posting in the first place ?

23. ratso70

ratso70 Karting

Jun 1, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Saw a grey McLaren mp4-12c with orange front splitter in Brooklyn Heights this morning. Sounded awesome and didn't hurt the image that there was a girl behind the wheel...

24. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I think I have seen a Citroen like that cruising around. Was it brown/ green?

I think this is the M1, and yes they're almost always white or black.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141197045&postcount=168

25. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    Yellow 355 spider on 27 heading west by yapank.