2012 vs 2016 FF | FerrariChat

2012 vs 2016 FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Kaspars Upmanis, Dec 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kaspars Upmanis

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Casper Smith
    When considering a low mileage FF, the price for early vs late model year is quite different.

E.g. a 2012 FF with 15k miles is about 150k EUR while a late model with the same mileage is about 190k EUR.

Is the extra 40k EUR (45K USD) worth it to get a bit "earlier" car?
    (Prices in Europe)

2. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Hard to say. The 2012 car is at risk from brittle tie wraps and won’t have a pano roof or CarPlay or 2 years left on the service pack. If those sorts of things matter to you then the 2012 is a non starter and you’ll have to pay the price for the 2016.
    It’s also possible that a 2012 car could be immaculate and garaged and the 2016 could be in terrible condition and left outside.

But if they’re the same mileage, the 2016 has done almost double the mileage per year than the 2012 and that’s ‘a good thing’.

vraa and Loxo like this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    All else being equal, I am pretty sure they make incremental improvements to these cars and a later build year is generally preferable.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

luvair, Loxo, Outrun and 1 other person like this.
  4. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    While Ferrari do make running changes during production and these are well documented on other models, it seems that we have yet to discover what the changes were to the FF other than the obvious ones noted above. In addition, production volumes are heavily weighted to the early years of the FF’s production. Of the c.2,850 FFs produced, more than half (55%) of them were made in 2011/12 so there was little incentive to improve production with running changes after that. This relative abundance of early models might explain the price gap between them and late model FFs.

The biggest running change was the switch to the Lusso in 2016 ;) If the OP is looking at 2016 FFs (which are rare beasts with an estimated 130 produced in that year) and worried about value then maybe stretching to a higher mileage Lusso for the same price could be a better bet.

5. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Excellent points. But, to add, perhaps some less sexy changes ended up in the Lusso. I would still look for a later build, that’s just me. Happy New Year friends

Loxo, RamsHmb, ANOpax and 1 other person like this.
  6. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I had a 2013 for 5 years and no issues. I do know there is a history if ptu failures. Not sure if that is consistent over the entire run or if later cars were/are stronger.

7. Outrun

Outrun Karting

When I bought mine, the dealer was adamant that they made some substantial (and unreported) changes in 2014. It makes sense that they improved bits and pieces throughout production as the best way to learn what's going to break is to sell a few and then see what happens.

I drove 2 earlier cars and found that the 4wd system felt more obvious and mechanical on them than on my late 2014 car. I'm sure it wasn't me dreaming, the earlier cars felt more like and early 4wd 911 like a 993 where I could really fell when the front wheels where gripping. My car is much more seemless than that and doesn't really feel like the 4wd is there.

If you look at the main dealer market, as you mention, you will see a price hike on post 2014 cars. I think it's partly, at least, because they know the cars are stronger. I have no way to substantiate that other than the dealership i deal with being pretty vocal about it when i was buying.

Caeruleus11 and Kaspars Upmanis like this.
  8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    2016 FF has pana roof installed as free options.

Caeruleus11, Carl A and andyrichter like this.
  9. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I have a 2015 'Tailor Made' FF with 7000kms. And I love the fact it is a later and as such much more rare car. Most of the FF's offered are 2012/2013 cars with lots of miles on them. Someone who ordered a later FF was not the type "I want the newest the first and drive the hell out of it"...I believe they were the more 'purist/enthousiast' type of buyer.

IloveGT likes this.
  10. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What year did they change the satnav? 2014?

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    better off getting a car with old nav and replacing it with a pioneer doubl din, my 2 cents

IloveGT, Caeruleus11 and Carl A like this.
  12. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I now have 50k miles on my 2012. I bought it in May 2019 with 28k miles. Most 2012 cars were fully loaded. They made customers buy them if they wanted to get an order position for an F12. The msrp on my car was $375k. I still purchase the annual powertrain warranty. I smile every time I start it and every time I put my foot into it

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

PTC and plastique999 like this.
  13. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
    Second this, the newer system is not that much better

14. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    #14 ScottS, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    I had a 2012 which I loved. Put a bunch of miles. It started to feel Old and maybe have little things go ina shorter timeframe which became annoying.
    At that time in the old market with 20k miles and another issue which I’ve described. Score (not related to the cars performance per se ), it approached what I thought was the cliff of depreciation point. So I looked in 2018-2019 for a 2016 and in the US they were rarely on sale. I looked for 8 months before going to a Lusso12.

The major electronics were updated after 2014. The comp options were 2016. They were other changes after 2014.

I preferred the FF for looks sound and feel but wanted lower miles and the updated electronics such as satnav the Plano roof and the clandestinely updated mechanicals. The closest I could come at that time was a TM Rosso F1 owned by a dealer principle in the Midwest for a princely sum. Nice car but not a good buy for what it was - a lot of personal choices I wouldn’t have made and did not value.

For a little more I went with the Lusso and got all of my wants with the compromise on looks and sound. I am glad I did and will keep this one for the long haul. It’s more resistant to me feeling like it dated at this point. It still feels modern and nothing makes me want to switch. I rotate with the 812, and others F8, 16m, 360 etc when I want a sports car experience but for a daily the Lusso is baller enough for me.

The market has jumped on the FF and a lot of the early cars still have a premium for things which are not as valuable or useful ten years in. It’s not an economic analysis for a depreciable asset but it’s not a completely not economic one either.

The 2016 cars were ordered by specific owners with high options and nice specs when they come up. These cars as you see carry a premium and maybe worth it in the future but to drive and use , I think they push one towards the early Lusso at this point in this market. The early FF is now a different buy - a middle aged exotic with a lot of potentially expensive and time consuming mechanicals at risk.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Did you find any documentation that shows what the electronic updates were, or was it from talking to dealers?
    Not arguing, just curious for my own knowledge.

16. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    @ScottS - I also think as new cars get even quieter and more advanced suspensions that allow a greater degree of both comfort and control the Lusso will feel that much more special and loud and connected. Also if you wanted it, you could always put an exhaust and or springs etc. You can definitely tweak the personality of these cars. The end of an era.

ScottS likes this.
  17. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    #17 ScottS, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Can argue. I wouldn’t win. This is some documentation. A lot came from conversations with the dealer who owned the 2016 FF and the service manager who serviced my 2012 FF.

Much of our information is oral history since Ferrari is so tight lipped

@Caeruleus11 thinking about it but I’m really a stock guy. I do love the platform FF/Lussso. Nothing like it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfr456 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. dipakp

dipakp Rookie

Nov 29, 2008
    Have had both and still currently have the 2016 production run immediately prior to Lusso changeover. IMO, go as new as you can. Some features
    You may want may have been more available in later runs or executed better (I wanted the electrochromatic glass roof). The 2016 just feels a bit “tighter” plus failing “wear” items will be lessened.
    If you can, buy newer and right the first time- whatever that may mean in terms of your ultimate budget. Also, budget in for things you might want/need behind the direct vehicle like the extended power warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. PTC

PTC Karting

Mar 30, 2010
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Peter Timan Clark
    Read the full thread; it's a neat debate / can't really disagree with anything, and as with all cars younger is better as far as plastics, definitely.
    Gotta wonder whether Kaspars (Original Post) ever found what he was looking for.
    IMHO it's an opportunistic event. I initially hated the look of the FF, but something happened.
    I knew 3 years ago, it was what I wanted when I drove one in TDF.
    I lost out on that one (Jan2020), but never stopped looking. Every day for a year. And in Dec 2020 found one in Rubino Micalizzato 324 over Cuoio. Done.
    Same as 1st Ferrari which was 1999 456MGT-6 speed. Rosso Barchetta 320. Over Cuoio Daytona w/Ruby piping. Done.
    You kind of know it when you see it.
    Or for some of us, it knows us when it see us
    In the end, if you pick your model, you pick your color. And the year is what it is.
    2 Year anniversary for the FF comes up in December.
    Not looking back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21ATS, papou, SVCalifornia and 3 others like this.
  20. dipakp

dipakp Rookie

Nov 29, 2008
    Like others on the thread, I would suggest getting the newest MY that you can afford. I have had both a 2012 and 2016 and , besides the subtle improvements to the interior fit and finish in the later model, the 2016 has proven to be more dependable. This all being said, if the budget supports a 2012, I would not shy away from a vehicle with a solid service history that has been driven and well cared for. I would also be sure to get a ppo and, if possible, pursue purchase at an authorized dealer that knows the vehicle. Ensure all campaigns have been completed. In the best case scenario, you may even be able to secure Warranty coverage as part of the deal. Best of luck, it’s a great vehicle - one of Ferrari’s best IMO. Get one. You will not be sorry.

21. Kaspars Upmanis

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Casper Smith
    Thanks everyone, this turned out to be a nice thread!

For me I went with FF in the end. The very last 2016/2017 model, with satin black wrap, big rims and Capristo. An absolute monster and I love it!
    Sometimes throws some Christmas lights but nothing that can't be fixed by turning it on & off :)

The best engine I've ever driven and almost the best car I've ever driven!

otakki, PTC and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations!

Enzo Ferrari used to say he sells you an engine, and throws in the car for free!

(An especially fitting quote since he loved his 4 seaters and the engine in the FF is a variation of that found in the car bearing his name)

Bamsefar and ttforcefed like this.
  23. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Well, for what ever reason: I know there are changes, since I decided to invest (questionable argument here, but stay with me...) in retrofit the display in front of the passenger, since well it is available. NOT. Not for my very late '16 FF - they change the wiring harness somehow, so on my FF I simply can't retrofit the display...

And as noted, new improved NAV unit - although one could ask for more. More than one time have I been in the state of replacing the head unit with something else - and yet again stumble on my FF's "new" cable harness - I wonder what they done with that harness...... and why it stops me all the time ;-)

Anyway, there are changes for sure, just not documented - like why is the turning circle on FF and GTC4 Lusso not a public available number?