2013 458 or 2015 458 | FerrariChat

2013 458 or 2015 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Mario Italia 458, Jun 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mario Italia 458

Jun 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    John
    Hello everyone
    New here and would like some advice.
    I have the opportunity to purchase a 2013 458 with 32k miles for 156k or a 2015 458 with 26k for 170k
    Which is the better deal in terms of depreciation and prospective maintenance issues.
    Are the older 458’s equal to the newer ones ?
    Can you Daily drive these cars?
    What are usual maintenance requirements for the vehicles ?

Thanks in advance
    Mario

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    usually each year of model production accounts for about $5000 to $7500 +/- in value in my experience. So identical 2013 vs 2015 would be about $10K or so in price difference. Same with miles. 10K miles probably knocks the price down almost $10K in asking price. These aren't hard fast rules, but rough estimates. The 458 I just sold was a 2013 and I felt that was a very good year for the car. Anything before 2012 was off my shopping list, simply because early cars seemed to have DCT issues here and there.

I drove mine daily and loved it. Never had any issues. Almost 15K miles when I traded it in on a 488. Outside of oil, filter and one alternator belt (per the service requirements), it never needed any sort of service. The 458 has a timing chain (not a belt like older cars), so that's a big savings as far as service issues on the car.

32K miles - in the world of Ferrari - is a lot. Buyers tend to start freaking out once you go past 15K miles on a Ferrari, which means you should be able to drive a much harder bargain on price with a car that has 32K miles, since most people aren't going to touch that car. The average "rich guy who wants a Ferrari" isn't going to be able to sleep at night with a Ferrari that has over 10K miles on it :) Only a true Ferrari gear head is going to be shopping for either of those cars you show there, so I think that greatly reduces the potential buyer list.

I think both the cars/prices you have listed there are about 10K over what you should really be able to purchase the car for... but I'm not the one writing the check or owning those specific cars, so just take my advice with a grain of salt.

What country are you in, by the way? That can have an impact.

Ray

AlfistaPortoghese and Hoboken like this.
  3. dubby

dubby Rookie

Aug 15, 2013
    Id love a 15 with 26k on it for $160k :)

SeaNile likes this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    One question is how long you intend to keep the car - typically the most recent car will depreciate more, but not that much over a short period (let's say one year or a little more), and you get the benefits (maintenance, condition, including the longer remaining time of the 7-year maintenance). In the long term though, there will not be a big value difference between a 2013 and a 2015 model, so that the initial price difference will be more or less completely lost.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Always buy the latest imo … reasons above ...

iloveferrari likes this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Get the one you like best, they are the same car with those miles.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Although I agree with Ray's excellent writeup, I must stress that I believe wholeheartedly that mileage isn't a great indicator as to how a car was used and what kind of shape it is in, unless you fully inspect it on your own before purchase.

I've seen Ferraris with 12.000km on them which had 2 new clutches fitted and gasket failures, and Ferraris with 60/70.000km + in perfect running order, smooth and reliable as a swiss watch. Mileage is a mere indicator and in my personal opinion, although something to take into account, it's not even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to car's history. It's just another number at the end of the day, a bit like statistics: the science that says that if you put your head in the oven and your feet in the freezer, your body temperature should achieve a perfect balance :D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Advice above is good, I would only add two things:
    1. Which one speaks to you? I had a similar situation when I bought my 458; I realized that if I had to think about which one I wanted, then neither was tugging at my heart enough, so I passed. A month later one came in that was absolutely THE one for me.
    2. If they are really that close, also in options, then get the one with the best history (i.e. the owner was personally known by the dealer).

iloveferrari likes this.
  9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't care about the year or mileage, I care about the spec. I'm going to put a lot of miles on it anyway, but I am 180 degrees different than most Ferrari owners in that regard.

There are several 458 owners in our FCA chapter, and zero complaints from any of them. You can drive them all you dare. :)