2013 Dodge Dart/Alfa-Romeo Bloodline | FerrariChat

2013 Dodge Dart/Alfa-Romeo Bloodline

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by pastmaster, Dec 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Infidel

Infidel Guest

Jan 19, 2011
    Southeast, USA
    Unfortunately, it looks like Fiat took an Alfa and turned it into a Dodge.

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #3 F1tommy, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    They even made it bigger for American's...oh joy. If they ruin the Alfa version too they might as well not even bring them in at all. FIAT seem to think bigger cars and an SUV will make Alfa's sell in the USA. I really hope they take a balanced approach. Alfa's should be light and nimble with ALLOY Italian motors.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2012-Chicago March

3. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Odd article, especially the 1968 slant six mention, the six was offered every year.

Increased size will undoubtedly add weight to an already underpowered car. Easy to believe then the car will be neck and neck with a base Jetta performance wise.

Has to be better than the agricultural Caliber, hope it can offer more than the Focus or Cruze/Verona. Tough market.

4. ronzalfa

ronzalfa Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    SW Washington
    Full Name:
    Ron Deaver
    Wonder who came up with the idea of resurrecting the Dart name? You don't normally hear that car referred to as in " I wish they still made Dodge Darts!" Nor is it normally heard in conversation with the words, exciting, desirable, great handling, high performance, etc. Add to that the bastardization of the Alfa bits, and you gotta think the FIAT boys must have one interesting marketing team. RIP Alfa's reputation once again in the USA....

5. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Maybe Dart means something different in Italian.LOL In any case the Italians have to be some of the worst marketers, most of their products sell themselves....

6. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Esp. the editor's note which further muddies the water. The writer obviously has no knowledge of his own regarding the subject.

Fiat may think they scooped a bargain at Daimler's fire sale but decisions like this assure they exit once more, tail between their legs to a chorus of "Fix it again, Tony".

7. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    +1
    To me the name Dart is in the same league as the Gremlin, the Pacer or even the Edsel.
    What possessed them to resurrect that infamous name??

8. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    ah... you forgot....

Dodge Dart Demon sporting a 340 c.i. moter with a six pak of carbs..... quite the car for those who wanted performance and the ponies and mid size muscle was just a bit out of reach.

If the new "Alfa" is to be called "Dart" for the masses, then I can't wait for them to bring out an Alfa based "Demon"!

JD

9. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The Demon wasn't a six pack car.
    The Dart was available as a 340, 383, 440, and 426 car. When factory built as a high performance car the Dart was a screamer!!! My favorite muscle car of all time....

10. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    #11 jeffdavison, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mr. Norm (Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago, my home town) built Dodge Dart Demons labled the "GSS" in 1971. Kind of like a COPO thing. He put the tri-carb stup from the Chalanger on the 340. Plymouth had a sister car called the Duster that was also available with the 340.
    Dodge from the factory had a "Scat-Pak" option... trim, axle, graphics, instruments, etc.

JD

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I too loved the old Dart Demon 340.

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    A friend had a '71 six pack 340 Demon back then, pretty sure it was factory original, he bought it brand new.
    I'm also pretty sure that 383 was the biggest regular production engine. In stock trim with better tires it would do a 14.0 quarter mile, small block cars would often outrun it though as the exhaust manifolds were horrible.
    Mr. Norm did 440 conversions(GSS) and of course the hemis were farmed out by the factory.

Norm Krause takes credit for showing Chrysler that a big block would fit, yeah right.
    I have some sentiment for the Dart name, it kills me to see it on a Fiat/Alpha.

13. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Nothing "infamous" about it about it at all. It was an economy car that enjoyed a very good reputation. Gremlin and Pacer were odd ducks but never regarded as bad cars either, Edsal was different.