2013 Mustang | Page 4 | FerrariChat

2013 Mustang

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by 4re Nut, Oct 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Fellow racers have experienced failures. Plural.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    what class(es)? am, pro/am, pro?

i.e. is it gearbox failures or knuckleheads who don't know how to shift.

3. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Apparently tranny issues from what I've read in the earlier Boss 302 thread. Start with this post and read forward from there for related posts: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294124&p=140867874

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Talked to service department today, they say the 2013 5.0 are also using the tremec. Can anyone else confirm ?

5. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I don't hang with the do-rifto kings.

6. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

You'd think this would be a selling point, right?

Well, there's absolutely nothing in their official specs or press materials beyond describing it as a manual.

Rick, as long as you're not tracking it, you'll be fine.

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    It's a hairdresser car ;)

Top down, wind in my bald hair, no worries about tracking it...the only tacking it will see is my track suits.

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    huh?

I thought b-mak loved doritos.

:confused:

9. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I forgot about your damned track suits!

I do love Doritos. Particularly the ones I find in the US. Good thing I travel.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    maybe we can start a Dorito for Cuban cigar black market exchange.

:D

11. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

We can do this.

12. Pantera1523

Pantera1523 Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    I'm hoping to pick up a 2013 Boss 302 sometime this summer. Debating between the "standard" Boss with Recaros and Torsen or the Laguna Seca. Mainly buying it as a track car but it will get see the track about 4-6 times a year. Most of the usage will be weekends around town, when I don't want to take one of my other toys...

I'm comfortable on the track but only have 4 track day sessions under my belt (all in the 360). My wife is actually suggesting the Boss as a track toy over the 360 after seeing her brother stuff his Z06 into a tire wall last year. I guess she figures (correctly) that a 360 would cost a lot more to repair than a Mustang. :)

So,any reason to insist on the LS? I'm not looking to set any lap records here, just to learn proper car control and how to drive fast. At this point I am leaning towards the regular Boss, but I guess time will tell.

13. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    The recaros and torsen are optional on the regular boss, and also, the suspension - shcoks, springs, sway bars, is a bit better on the LS. I've been told that shock setting 5 on the regular boss is equal to setting 2 on the LS. other than that, both cars are mechanically the same. Susposedly this equals about a 2 second difference on the track between the two.

Also, any need for a back seat? If not, get the LS.

14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Much as I like the mustang the Chinese made tranny is a deal breaker for me....

15. Pantera1523

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    No need for a back seat... I guess I will wait and see what is available when I am ready to purchase. If there is a ridiculous markup on the LS I am sure I will be happy with the regular boss... However if the market is soft by then, who knows. :)

Thanks for the input.

I'm not scared of the tranny, if it breaks I will see about upgrading it...

16. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Does color or the new dash features matter to you ?

If not, there are still some '12's left at good deals, for example, I paid sticker for my LS back in Oct., and just last month a friend of mine paid $1500 under sticker for his, and got the dealer to throw in the track key, which is another $302. (both out cars are silver/red)

17. Pantera1523

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    I see your point but I guess for me I kinda like the minor refinements to the 2013 model. I also think if I am going with a LS Schoolbus Yellow looks cool :).

But thanks for the input, I do understand your point. I'm still a few months out so I am betting the 2012s will be all spoken for anyway.

18. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Maybe, but I suspect a few pre-owned '12s will be on the market at a good discount as folks move on to the '13.

Decisions, decisions...either way keeps us informed and share the joy. :)

19. Pantera1523

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    Absolutely... I will be sure to post back here when I add mine to my stable. :)

20. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I've driven both versions of the Boss. Both are awesome.

Boss will be a little easier to handle than the LS due to the lower grip tires. LS was worth about 2 second a lap at LS.

I'd get a Laguna Seca because it scores higher on the cool scale.

As you stated, the diff and Recaros are must haves with the regular Boss.

21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #96 4re Nut, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/07/ford-racing-reveals-its-latest-mustang-project/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #97 4re Nut, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://www.insideline.com/ford/mustang/2013/roush-unveils-2013-stage-3-mustang.html

Looks subtle for a Roush; I guess Jack is getting conservative in his old age. :D

23. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
  24. YenkoYS100

YenkoYS100 Karting

Sep 9, 2004
    Payson, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Gloria McClurkan
    Just as an FYI............... while the Tremec may be assembled in Mexico, its gears come from................ wait for it................... wait for it.............. China.

The Tremecs in the Vettes, Camaros, GT500's, Vipers, etc have had their fair share of problems also.

I follow the Mustang and Ford boards. You hear very little about issues with the Getrag in the later Mustangs. Yes, the early ones had some issues with poor quality control.

25. Pantera1523

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    So in my quest for a Mustang track car I was wondering if a GT with Track Pack, Brembos, and Recaros seats would be an acceptable alternative to a Boss 302. Still thinking I'd rather have the Boss but the GT will have nicer equipment for off track use. Since all I care about is HPDE should I care if the GT is a little slower than a Boss?

I searched around and couldn't find any real lap times to compare a Boss to a GT with the track package. I see lots of dealers list 302s on order but haven't seen one show up yet. Is there a specific point that Ford will start 302 production? Or are they just built alongside the regular runs?