2014 Camaro Z/28 | FerrariChat

2014 Camaro Z/28

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by joker57676, Mar 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    2014 Chevy Camaro Z/28 is back! [w/video]

Depending on price, this might make a fun 3rd car. It still needs to lose some weight, but there's a whole ton of high end goodies in there I wouldn't have expected GM to throw in the Camaro such as carbon breaks, dry sump LS7 engine, and Recaros. GM is claiming 1.05Gs in the turns and 1.5Gs braking. Sounds pretty decent. I'm intrigued.

Mark

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I am curious about the HP and torque. Kind of dicey because of the new 2014 MPG flwwt atandards of 35 mpg.

Those ratings on tateral G's seem very high but anything is possible

Lee

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    2014 Camaro Z/28 arrives with new tail lights that look nothing like the 2014 Corvette tail lights...
    CH

4. RareAir23

RareAir23 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Awesome! Looks like a pretty capable package.

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    looks like they wound up using the European taillights :)

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think they gave the leftovers to the vette ;)

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    more like old Honda Prelude tail lights
    CH

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    gm does a great job tuning their existing cars. brakes, carbon, coolers, harness seats, etc are all great but unfortunately theyre starting with a bad platform. its way too heavy and flexible

is a cool track day alternative to porsche and nissan for 1/2 $ though. at least the domestics are trying

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Can't get into the cartoonish looks.

10. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    It's not bad, but it's not my favorite. I don't know why, but I really like the taillights, they look 1,000 times better than the ones they have currently, but it does lose the Camaro feel and it refers back to the mid 70s brick taillights.

But I do agree, it needs to shed a lot more weight, it still looks way too chunky.

11. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #11 JeremyJon, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    they look like a set from an old Honda integra? honestly, the pervious were better, maybe cartoonish to some, but more fitting IMO
    I like the front work, makes it tad more aggressive, similar to the changes made from Mays 2004 'stang when redesigned
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Saw a white ZL1 last week at a dealership. Saw a yellow one at the Detroit Auto Show.

Meh.......

Never was a fan of the Camaro anyways............but, this thing is the best of the bunch so far. However, I gotta side with the "cartoonish" comments to some degree, especially as it relates to those cheesy looking wheel flares. The rear tail lights are an improvement though.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Which suck

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Spot on.

Lets also not forget the hideous plastic fender flares, why did the bother with this. It's like the b team got let loose on the work of the a team.
    As good as the z28 is, the styling changes to the rear and sides indicate gm is still seriously dysfunctional.

Cool spec though.

15. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    It's the best looking Camaro to date... But I still am not sold. Cool to see the carbon brakes though. Looks like its aimed at the Boss but with more power and better brakes. See how it handles and what the price is.

16. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #16 JeremyJon, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    here's a pic of the back end ....those look like old integra tail lights from any angle, honestly ....did the design team just over react to the negative remarks made online about the original design??

I like the front, but the back is impala/honda/kia/other generics

and what are the carbon brakes option cost? much less replacement cost? cool yes, but yike$ !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I like the rear, maybe because its simpler, I don't know. The article says the carbon ceramics are standard. To compete with the Boss, this thing has to be under $50k I'd think?

Mark

18. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    I don't mind simpler, though saying that the quad tail lights is pretty simple too ....maybe is just the utility white?

I hadn't read all through ...i'm wondering more about the replacement/maintenance costs for them, can't just change pads with carbon-ceramic rotors, they wear as a pair, that might be a scary bill?

19. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    The 1LE demolishes a Boss.

a LSa is around11,200, whereas a LS7 is around 14,000

Carbon brake replacements are reasonable now, although still considerably more than Steel. I believe for new pads/rotors all around, you can do it for under 4,000 now. Maybe even under 2500 for rotors alone.

AC/rear seat/ radio delete will separate the men from the boys. I suspect most will still have AC installed.

20. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Rubber mats - last seen in a taxicab or street racer - 1st 427 Camaro in a while ...?

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Still has a cheapo-plastic fake defuser at the back.

22. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    ...and "snag on every hump in the road or curb" front splitter :)

23. GoonOnFire

GoonOnFire Karting

Feb 6, 2012
    I know you guys own some serious vehicles, a brand that everyone jokes about. "Well, it's no Ferrari", but I think the Camaro is amazing.

Sure it's not a 69 but wow. I'm assuming it will be priced in the middle. Correct me if I'm wrong. But wouldn't it go like Camaro SS, Z/28, Zl1.

My dad had 69 Z/28 and when I told him about this he could not believe it.

It just seems like the affordable car that describes one word - FUN.

Chevy may not be the best but it really seems like they are upping their game.

Man, if I had some money to blow I'd buy a 355 and this. That would be a nice garage, lol.

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    We can appreciate the numbers. I think we just don't like "fake" stuff on cars -- at least I don't.

25. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    I would think that the splitter would provide some front downforce. For the street I would take it off and drive without it as I don't like the looks of it. Cant see pics of the rear venturi well enough to see if it is functional or not. Don't like the rear wing as far as looks go.

Hood vent is gross. It is terrible as is the plastic window in the hood of the Vette ZR-1 or whatever the supercharged Vette is called.

The tail lights are very similar to the tail lights on the '69 Camaro. I don't like the change but I understand the inspiration.

I really want this car but would modify some of the body with bits and pieces from other variants.