2014 F1 SHELL BELGIAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 20 | FerrariChat

2014 F1 SHELL BELGIAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Aug 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Nico did what he had to do. In the end he has to show LH that he is not going to back off. Yes this cost them both a win but in these inter team battles it is vital that he did this otherwise LH will use Nico's weakness to his advantage.

We have seen others do this in the past and next time LH is in that same situation he will worry and likely give Nico more room.

Was it the right time to do that? ... probably not. I think he should have just followed LH for half the race staying right in his mirrors clearly saying to LH I'm faster than you, but he got the tow and he had a go.

As for Ferrari ... WTF were they doing on the grid that was so important?
    Pete

2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    ROFLMAO! I think racers have always been like wide receivers, mentality-wise. Narcissism and entitlement are essential elements to being a top driver, though the F1 guys seem far less personable than drivers in other series.

I can deal with that, but the politics, dirty driving and disrespect are a major turn off.

3. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    No.

You all blame hamilton for not thinking with his head and when he does you criticize him.

He said himself at the rate he was lapping even with a sc he would not have been able to pass anyone with his lack of downforce. He's the professional driver and knows what he is doing. Simply playing smart.

As for all this I'm hearing about nico admitting to doing it on ourpose: so angry right now I hope they disqualify him. Gonna read the rest of the posts in this thread first

4. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    And if you read what the article says it says nico analysed his data to seee how lewis was so fast to embarrass him by 20 secs in Malaysia and then that after bahrain lewis decided to do the same

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Yes But I just don't want the team sharing driver data after the race
    That would benefit Lewis in the long run- But ain't gonna happen

6. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Yeah I agree with you. Was saying that earlier in the season.

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    In case you missed FP, lewis was on the radio asking where Nico was faster.

I'm sure it goes both ways.

Who got pole? Nico was faster in the race too....Personally, I thought Lewis would start better and pull away. As it turned out, Lewis started better, but was holding Nico up.

Even now I still seem to underestimate Nico.

8. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    #483 gsjohnson, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    You may want to check your reading skills. It was a sarcastic response to another's defense of Hami's blocking techniques in the closing lap at Hungary...DS

9. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    I think Hami is probably a little quicker but falls short in race management skills...tire and brake management skills to be specific.

10. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    I missed fp3 but saw the others. I heard lewis asking. It does go both ways. Point is that OVERALL it favours nico more because he is the one usually asking. Especially earlier in the season. But not so much anymore given that his team mate is often at the back of the grid lol

Nico was holding lewis up?! oh pls. It was the second lap of the race and nico got a tow, of course he was gonna be right on his ass there.

Nico is scared whenver lewis is ahead.

11. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Holding up Nico? They'd just started lap 2. Nico had the advantage of the tow on the long straight, but that doesn't mean he was being held up. Fernando did that several times vs Magnussen but backed off when it was clear he couldn't make the pass.

Nico was only determined to force Ham to concede and that was it (per Toto Wolff below):

"What we saw there was that Nico was not prepared to take the exit, and that caused the collision.

"That is not something we want to happen.

"We had a collision that could have been avoided, a second-lap collision, it was Nico who attacked and he shouldn't have done it.

"It was also to show he was not prepared to give in.

"With hindsight, if he could turn back time, Nico would probably not do it again in the way he did."

12. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    The sarcasm was lost though, because I noted in my post that the rules change once two drivers are side-by-side. That's why Magnussen was punished...for forcing FA off while driving side-by-side. I thought IamRobG's response to your post clearly illustrated that addendum.

13. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    How do you know that??

NO...Lewis was holding up Nico.

Is that what Lewis told you, or were you hiding in Nico's confessional?

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    You're Wrong on Lewis holding up - If you're of that mind you must hate him really bad

15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't hate anyone. Get over yourself.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.......I expected Lewis to pull away, since he's such a genius driver, and all, but instead Nico easily caught him. I was surprised. No hatred involved at all.

16. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm sure it's been discussed, but Nico's smoking brakes following the race are a clear indication of how big a problem the Mercedes brake problem is.

17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Don't believe you

18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's your problem.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I was surprised too, but I think Nico was a little better through Eau Rouge as LH seemed to have to exit very wide.

Such a great track and went RB clever with their high speed setup ... somebody in that team has a brain because being slower on the other side is not such an issue because it is harder to pass on that side of the track.
    Pete

20. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Lame race as far as that incident between the two, although I am personally rooting for Lewis, it really looked too me like a Racing Incident. However, if anyone was going to win, I was very happy for Daniel, great job and what a terrific guy.

21. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    According to the team meeting, Nico caught Lewis buy going into the corner with too much speed to make the corner. So, if you consider entering a corner at crashing speed and hoping to bounce off your competitor... yes Nico caught up to Lewis ;)

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, that cannot be true because Nico did make the corner. He did not use the run off area as if he had then there would have been no contact. Your comment makes sense if he had gone up the inside but he didn't.

I imagine that a lot of BS was said in that team meeting due to blood pumping and emotions
    Pete

23. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Now if Nico is so bloody good at picking the exact point to hit the tyre and slice it then how come FA didn't slice SV's tyres when he slammed into him late in the race ??

We have these little touches ALL the time and we don't get 99GB of posts about them :confused:

24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 Dan is the class of the field

25. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I don't know why EJ is shielding Nico from the boos. Like i said..F1 drivers are spoilt brats these days. They can't even handle some boos. EJ should have just kept quiet.