2014 F1 SHELL BELGIAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 25 | FerrariChat

2014 F1 SHELL BELGIAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Aug 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Actually looking at that picture really does make Nico look like a loose cannon to me.

Danke Pete...;)

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's extremely unlikely, I agree...so was Kimi winning the title with 2 races to go and 17 points behind (back when there where only 10 pts for a race win)!

I know it's unlikely...but if it happens I want the world feed cameras all on the Merc big boy executive faces. We might just see Ricci's helmet explode from the grin inside.

3. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have not done the maths, not my strong suit but if it happens, I can honestly say I'd be chuffed, even though he is spoiling the Aussie image of coming over like a real nice geezer...;)

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No worries, the local residents do their best to keep the image alive.

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Don't let facts get in the way of such a superior emotional battle. Telemetry is the devil!

6. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL of that I have no doubt, but I'd feel so miserable without them, it's almost like having them here..;)

We can have are opinions along with the ones that paid to watch the podium ceremony, it does not necessarily mean they are wrong..

Lets not forget, it's all about the show, however -You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time..;)
    AB

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

That pretty much sums up my feelings too....

If nothing else this battle has at least somewhat silenced the "F1 is dead' brigade. ;)

They race hard, they're idiots.
    They don't race hard, they're idiots.

All depends on who's ox is being gored I guess. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

8. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As long as the axe swings both ways I'am happy, as RicksB has pointed out, it seems the trailing driver has more rights than I previously thought..;)

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Waiter I'll have the gored ox. Rare please.
    :)

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Oh yeah, that's right. ;)

Nico steals all Merhams setup data. I overlooked that. Sorry. :D

Cheers,
    Ian

11. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Typical, some puns are just to bad to T-Bone...

Anyway to match your meat with Lewis, when the steaks are high and the chips are down, he tends to shine in gravy, no roast dinner is complete without a jug of proper gravy ..;)

12. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Of course he does, every trick in the book is needed be it fair or foul..;)

13. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    haven't read the whole thread :(

Seems to me, the debate always continues ... how far "along side" must the inside driver be, to pose a sufficient challenge to the lead driver on the racing line so that the lead driver must yield the apex? Wasn't there a "new rule" in F1, maybe a year or two ago, that even a front wing along side the leader's rear tire poses a sufficient challenge, so that the leader must yield the apex and allow room for the inside driver to avoid a collision?

I'm quite sure this is the new rule in F1 (even though I don't agree with it). If so, Nico's actions are perfectly consistent with F1 rules (hence, no penalty).

As far as his post-race "confession", there's nothing to it. Seems he basically said that he had no intention of yielding, since (according to F1 rules, above) it was Hamilton's duty to yield. It was Hamilton who interpreted this statement as "intentionally causing the crash".

14. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
  15. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Yum. Joint of the day.

Still haven't seen the race so I have no informed comments. And unlike others I will let that stop me.
    ;)

16. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You raise a valid point about the actual point the leading driver must yield, and yes I would agree a front wing along side a rear wheel for a split second, is IMO a pathetic and more or less unenforceable ridiculous rule, from a drivers point of view taking into account they will be concentrating on getting around a corner.

So the things that occur to me are, Nico knowingly put his car into that position fully aware that Hamilton would not yield, that is a given in my book, Hamilton himself would not expect a move like that even from a driver from another team, let alone his team mate.

So it boils down to Nico making a point to Hamilton, well ok point made, but was it clever IMO no, was it wreckless IMO yes in risking the outcome ie damaging his own car, will Merc the team be hacked off with him attempting that move so early on, I'm sure they will.

So to summarize as a fan of F1, and my main gripe in the past has been about inconsistent grey area rulings, so as long as I do not hear a bleat out of anyone on here when Hamilton pulls the same trick and believe me he is more than capable of doing it, I will have no beef with them or the ruling bodies in F1.

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Here you go, from this years sporting regulations;

We may not agree with their definition of 'significant', but there it is.....

Cheers,
    Ian

18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Apparently it makes little difference whether one has seen the race or not: there are folks on here who watched it all and still seem to be blind to what unfolded

19. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Thank you Ian !!

20. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Actions speak louder than words, it doesn't take alot of working out does it :rolleyes:

LOL it's just as well mate ;)

21. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well Hamilton will and can have field day now, whatever was he thinking trying to tip toe his way from the back of the field, oh but I forgot he has done it numerous times, step up the aggression Lew game on ...;)

22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Its good to know that there are some things that one can rely on.
    :)

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Ox -> gored -> who's?......
    ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

24. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Why so much fuss about the Spa incident? Two guys with identical cars, similar speed, often running close and both are fighting for the championship: sooner or later it had to happen. At Hungaroring Hamilton slammed the door on Rosberg and nobody complained because Rosberg managed to avoid the crash. Here he didn`t or wasn´t willing to. So what: this kind of things happen almost at any race.

Now for Mercedes the important thing is to stop the escalation of violence. If they suceed then this will be just a racing incident like many others. Also I think that internal fight would be less convenient for Hamilton than for Rosberg so he should avoid confrontation.