2014 Rolex 24 at Daytona | Page 5 | FerrariChat

2014 Rolex 24 at Daytona

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Str8shooter, Jan 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    DP's were obviously way faster. The P2 cars are so elegant, almost fragile compared to their new classmates. WTF about "no passing" , that's ludicrous? IIRC 2-3 years ago they ran under yellow due to fog around 4 or 5am, but that was different.
    Great to be here, boy there were a lot of cars on track for night practice tonight.

2. lussuria

lussuria Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2007
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Heather Gambini
    nice pics! This is one of the RARE years that I have missed the Roar before and the 24 hour. Ill be at home nice and warm watching on tv!

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    does anyone have an accurate/updated scanner frequency list?

4. kurtbob

kurtbob Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    Augusta, GA
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Cars with the blue mirrors/numbers have a gentleman driver on the team (Pro/Am), the red numbered cars have only pros.

5. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I like the new LED position indicator too. That will make things simpler. I do tend to lose track of who is where.

6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Str8 you're work is gorgeous! I look forward to your pics. Stunning! Thanks for posting them. Wish I could be there.

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great shots!

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very nice shots. I like the new Vette alot. Good looking race car. The rear end almost looks like a TVR.

The best Daytona 24 in 15 years!!!

9. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Great pictures once again! I'd love to think the prototypes were just sandbagging it during qual and waiting for the race to whoop up on the dp's.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I would too but sadly I don't think that's reality.

P2 cars are going to have to rely on pit strategy, fuel economy and a lot of DP teams having trouble to win.

what would happen if the DeltaWing won?!?!?!?!

11. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    If it was the 1st version of the Delta wing I'd not look past the possibility of a high finish from what happened at petit '12. Now... not so much.

I'm moving this weekend so watching this will be a challenge.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It is really to bad they are trying to make the P2 cars second class to the DP cars. The nice part is the DP cars are starting to turn into real race cars.

This is the Daytona 24 so here is my prediction, all the P2 and DP cars will breakdown or have trouble thus allowing a GTLM car to win overall!!!

Delta Wing will crash coming off the banking into the infield!!

:) :) :)

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice predictions :)

actually the DP "preference" makes sense, for two reasons: first, it's the France family's baby, they build Grand Am around it, named them after their track; so of course it will get priority. second, there have traditionally been way more DP teams in GA than P2 teams in ALMS; so it makes sense to prefer the cars that result in the largest grid.

still, I'd like to see the P2 cars do well.

14. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    My intention is to capture the action as it happens in a realistic way ( shoot straight aka Str8shooter ) with a touch of artistry. Thank you for recognizing that :)

I really wanted to hit the track day at PBIR today but after a long day at Daytona yesterday I succumbed to the snooze alarm. :(

I wish they would make these events on different weekends.

Thanks!

BTW I stuck a tape in my camera bag just in case I saw you in the garage and you wanted to take some measurements to see how your tools, tires and a car will fit in 2015 :D

Thanks!

The new Vette looks awesome in person. Regardless of it's actual size, visually it looks really low and really wide. That angled black strip at the bottom really takes away that fat rear look which is clearly evident in the first pic I posted. On track it sounds great and spits fire. I love it!

Thanks!

While I'm sure NASCAR did everything possible to keep the P2 cars from having an advantage I really really really want to believe that they did their best to get the BOP as close as possible. I would think as smart as they are they would want to create a race so competitive it would capture positive results in the race world filling the other tracks for the rest of the season. The uproar it would create for them if they fixed it so the first ten cars across the finish line were DPs would be damaging to their pockets and I think the board of directors bottom line is about the dollar and not who's car comes in first.

Perhaps the fairness in me makes that a pipe dream but I really want this race to be a hit and move on to even a better race at Sebring.

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    another thing that would make this race a hit: a new distance/total laps record. which is entirely possible given an average race lap in the 1:40's. however NASCARIMSA will screw this up with long overnight yellow flags as they have the last few years.

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes, but correct me if I'm wrong, the DP can't run LeMans - right? A LMP2 car can (at least I think it still can...all the rules changes have me confused. Still don't know what the blue mirror / number prototype cars are in TUDOR...or whatever they call it).

That's myopic IMHO. Maybe it's a proverbial middle finger to the FIA / ACO...but why do that?

***EDIT - I got it, blue is "Pro-Am", red is "Pro". So pro classes are Prototype and GTLM.****

17. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G

My understanding us that the p2's must be back-converted to run LeMans and the dp's aren't eligible.

18. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
  19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    No, not yet. But when Brian France waved the green flag for Le Mans in 2013, it was clear where this was going...

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yep ;)

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Fair enough. If they are competitive, and someone fields an effort, then I can understand the push for DP.

23. John.D

John.D Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2009
    France
    Very nice pics !!

Have you more pics of the 458 GT from RISI ??