2015 Corvette Z06 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

2015 Corvette Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by kverges, Jan 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    It is confusing. There was also a Z07 option on the C6 Z06 which basically gave you the brakes and spoilers off the ZR1.

2. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Yes I agree the 458 time was a little too perfect. But look at the GTR's relative postion amonsgt the other cars.

And Randy Pobst is a pro driver.

3. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    No one has ever gotten ANY GT-R around ANY track as fast as Nissan seems to be able to. When this gen GT-R came out and posted their FIRST gaudy Nurburgring time, Sport Auto (with Horst driving) also tested an "off the showroom floor" GT-R and couldn't get within 20 seconds of Nissan's time. Just sayin'

Jimmy

4. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    As Mr. Gambini says in "My Cousin Vinny" - "Perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on the track when Nissan is racing their GT-R"

5. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I am just so glad it does not have that hideous hood window. If I had ZR1 I'd have to do something about that and the tacked-on crap and hood window is one reason I like my Z06 better, appearance-wise, than the ZR1.

But please let it not be a fatazz toad.

6. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I just read a letter to the editor in evo, where the writer claims that GT-Rs are always stalling a train of allegedly slower cars during track events.

7. F40org

F40org Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Munich / Ft. Myers(FL)
    Full Name:
    Rolando
  8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    saw a dark gray one in town. angular, sharp creases, large, big rear end. but i kinda liked it. had a presence.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #159 boxerman, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

I call BS on this. If you look at various magazine tests the GTR is always int he hunt with the best exotics.

At the track days I attend its a similar story. Normaly in my lotus pretty much everything with high hp is quicker down the straights, and usualy slower though the bends, often becuase power is a poor crutch, and powerful cars are bigger longer and heavier than a lotus elise.

From what i see a well driven GTr is fast on straights and bends. If there is a drawback, and its a serious one, the GTR's seem to wilt. If three show up only one or two make the drive home. Somethig always seems to go wrong, maybe because they are chipped too far. The other car that seems to wilt is an R8.

Maybe these awd monsters can turn a few greatl laps before it all gets too hot. But do not underestimate a GTR. Whatever the potential of something else, it will take an exceptional driver to be fatser in pretty much any other street car.

Yes a well driven strpped out track prepped e36 BMW will be faster still, but we are talking street cars here. Of course if you are talking consistent fast laps for a few a whole day at a track or even two days, the street cars I see holding up and doing the best times are z06's and Gt3's. Somehow I doubt the new GT3 will prove to be as duarabe as the last, and the vette will prbably hold up but at an alleged few hundred lbs more will the tires and brakes?

It seems to me that manufacturers are obsessed with nurberung lap times and maybe a best 3 lap average of some well known tracks, paper figures sell street cars. I am more intereted in a full day of lapping and a car needing not too many consumables over a season while also being robust. A heavier superchaged vette will have the paper figures, but will it last, will it eat tires and barkes, lets see. Perhapos there is still a lighter less powerful more robust vette to come after the Z06, imho porche has lost the plot, that is untill we see a cayman GT3 which is unlikely.

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    There is a reason for that beyond driver skill. Just like power is an advantage for the straights the light cars have the advantage in the turns.

If you take two cars with same power to weight ratio the lighter car will be faster in the turns. Everything is better when lighter Colin Chapman proved that decades ago.

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    whats the cost from chevy for a brake job with carbon ceramic brakes?
    i think the nissan gtr is approx 10k.

12. erikgj

erikgj Rookie

Nov 27, 2013
    It came out later that the GTR was not stock but tuned for the track attack. Changes were aerodynamics tuning, weight reduction, and suspension tuning, different dampers and brake pads, bucket seats that contributed to a significant 50kg weight saving and a new ECU map.

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    but that IS stock - for the track attack version which will be an option on nismo gtr

14. erikgj

erikgj Rookie

Nov 27, 2013
    I will believe when I can order one. I get skeptical when I hear about specific parts added for one track.

Nissan has a habit of stretching the definition of stock at the 'ring.

I prefer Jim Mero runs and Chevrolets brand of stock time attacks. Much closer to what I consider stock.

Not saying the GTR is less of a car.

Sent from SoCal

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mike Furman at Criswell Chevy in MD is taking orders now. $1000 refundable deposit selling at MSRP if anyone is interested. Probably the fastest way to get one.

16. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    How about Kerbeck. They have a boatload of Coupe's and Convertibles in stock right now.

Corvettes for Sale | Kerbeck Corvette New 2014 Corvette Inventory | Corvette Stingrays in Stock

Also a whole lot more inbound.

They are selling at MSRP. No deposit necessary. Pick your car and go get it or have them ship it to you. You can probably have them back out shipping cost so it totals back up to MSRP. They usually wheel and deal I'm told

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    We're talking Z06's which don't come out until the fall.

18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have had dealings with the Kerbeck brothers for years, they will do what they can to make things happen. My car will be coming from them.

19. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    When I inquired as to ordering a new 2015 Zo6 I was told by my dealer, Jon Hall Chevy in Daytona Beach Fl that although it was too early for them to take orders they would be selling them for OVER sticker due to limited availability.

20. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Go to another store. It's true you won't be able to order one yet but you should be able to put a deposit down to save a spot. 'Over sticker' ..... hahahaha.

21. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Your tax dollars at work lol.

22. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    aaaahhhh...thought you were talking standard coupe or convertible. Yeah...no Z06's at Kerbeck yet but they will probably get the biggest allocation by far of any dealer (or many combined dealers even)

I'm lucky since Kerbeck is just 2 hours from me. I can take a limo to Borgata, eat a great dinner, gamble, stay over, then drive home in a Z06 once they are in stock! Than again if I have a bad night at the tables....

23. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Like anything if you want to be first you will pay more. Me, I will wait.

24. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Corvette forum supporting dealers sell at MSRP.

Mike Criswald ( sp). Is highly recommended.

Order with confidence at MSRP.

He is a good guy.

You ca arrange a museum delivery at enjoy the experience of picking up at the museum as many do or just pick it up at the dealership. Either is a wonderful experience. Take that to the bank.

Good luck.

25. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    If you want an early Z06 .. I would highly recommend Kerbeck or Mike Furman at criswell. They are the largest volume dealers and WILL get the cars first .. and plentiful.. I have bought from both with good experiences ... I also cannot recommend high enough the Museum delivery program.. It is a lot of fun and a great way to drive your new car on a nice trip right of the bat.....