2015 Indy Car | Page 34 | FerrariChat

2015 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It has to be said that the casualty rate is higher in Indy car than in F1, for some time now.

I don't think this has anything to do with the cars now, but the tracks and the close racing.

High speed accidents are part-and-parcel of racing on oval, and many drivers see themselves involved in other people's mistakes. It's the same on street circuits.

From what I see on TV, Indy racing doesn't provide the same degree of safety than F1 with run-off areas, gravel traps, et... That is very difficult to accept to F1 drivers used to get away with off-track excursion without damage.

Having said that, the rescue service is probably better skilled in Indy than in F1.

Indy on modern road course should be as safe as F1

2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    At one time Indy Car did. The Horton Safety team was tops. Today...I couldn't say but based what I have seen.....not so sure of what the talent is. As for the cars....they are safe and that is part of the problem. People make dumb moves when they think they can walk away. It is one of the reasons the sport has problems Your not getting driving talent, your getting someone that can flip for the bill. And with it, the risk for accidents increases. While I think Milka Duno is hot, she would scare the crap out of me in regards to fielding a car. Too unpredictable and a hazard at speed. Makes for damaged cars and more. And she is just one of many. And with it, the sport sinks further.

3. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Anyone watch Indy Lights? There's some really great racing this season between the top 3 contenders: Pigot, Harvey, and Jones. Like last year, it looks like the championship will come down to the wire. Pigot is definitely someone to watch - a great talent I think.

Much more entertaining than IndyCar - and better looking too!

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Pigot is really good.

I love the new IndyLights car, I just wish the grid was more than 10-12 cars :(

5. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Not going to be many more considering the cost to run one.

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    they're actually pretty cheap when compared to European formula car feeder series (witness Carlin coming over from GP2), but when there's virtually ZERO exposure, audience, and therefore marketing budgets...

7. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    My beef is the cost of parts. They have to be purchased, not made in house. Profits seem to be more important than healthy fields. Only adds to the problems you mentioned

8. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Another Dale Coyne pit incident, another pit crew member leaving on a stretcher. This is becoming far too common.

9. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Oh Indy, you just can't stay away from drama.

It'll be VERY interesting to see how they handle this.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #835 GuyIncognito, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    exicitng race, but can't help but feel that we're lucky everyone survived it.

here's a still from a replay of Briscoe's crash at the end. his head is moved forward probably 9-12 inches and rotated 90 degrees to the left (that's his HANS device on the right). that could have been REALLY bad.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    I missed the race today but it's cool to have an Fchatter in victory lane!

12. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Every time there is this pack racing I have my heart in my throat. It does make F1 seem boring. It's a shame 200-300k probably seen this on tv, what a race and what balls these guys have.

I missed the last 25 laps due going out for dinner, but listened to the radio broadcast over my phone. Montoya said in the post race coverage that he was pissed on Barnhart because he asked him for mandatory 300 lbs less downforce after the first practice as he saw the potential danger.

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    So let me get this straight…

IndyCar didn't penalize Rahal during the race for unsafe pit release… but promised a post-race penalty.

Rahal wins the race with penalty promised and pending…

What a huge eff-up.

Should've issued penalty at the time. Drive thru,… stop and go,… timed penalty at next stop all would have been vibe options.

As an aside,… was anyone in the stands? Looked like there were more team members / support people than fans!

How many years does IndyCar have left?

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    per Robin Miller, 3,000 tickets sold.

amazing.

15. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    There are rumors that they'll give Graham the win, but dock him the winning points. I just don't understand why they don't have Emmo, Al Jr., Arie...you fill in the blank to be judge and jury on these rulings. And don't wait a few days on judgements, just do it during the race.

16. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    WOW! That's about the same as a high school theatre production.

17. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    That many!!! Hmmmmm........I guess I was wrong. Things really are getting better! :D

18. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Congratulations......you just described the current presentation called Indy Car.

19. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    TeamF1Jr is absolutely correct. Levy the damn penalty during the race & let the outcome be what it may. This BS about post-race penalties makes the result of this fantastic race a farce. Brave and astronomically skilled men (& Pippa!) busting their asses for a sham result is not what will grow the Indycar fan base. This is not meant to take anything away from Rahal, as he drove with determination and even brilliance.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Was there a race today? Indy promotion is just the worst.

21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    But, but they've got the Indy 500 and that gives the rest of the
    schedule gravitas!

So, to recap, F-1 (which is in an downward spiral of its own) drivers
    should be looking to extend their careers by joining Indy Car so they
    can put their necks on the line in front of 3,000 fans (half of which
    likely attended on comp'ed tickets) and what we imagine was a near
    non-existent TV audience.

Fortunately, Goodwood was on live streaming over the weekend
    and it was spectacular!

BHW

22. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: Road America officials could find out this week if the picturesque course is part of the Verizon IndyCar Series' 2016 schedule, track president George Bruggenthies said Sunday.

Road America, a stop on the defunct CART and Champ Car series, has been in the discussion for an IndyCar race for the better part of a decade. Although the track is popular among competitors, business factors have kept that from happening.

"We'll see if they ever make up their mind," Bruggenthies said near the end of his World Challenge weekend.

"We had reached an agreement on a date and time, and we'll see what happened. It's with the committee, which failed to meet Wednesday, so then they were supposed to meet at Fontana (Calif.).

"I need to know. I'll put my schedule together in the next week. I've got an idea, but we will keep going. I'm not waiting for them."

23. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Rules are rules. UNLESS you really need to have a Honda win, they are rumoured to be leaving, Miles has screwed this up WAY more than TG ever could have imagined.

Of course the thing to do would be stop paying these people out of season, we'll see how quickly they extend it when they are the ones laid off.

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to hear it - does it make a sound?

25. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    #850 RWatters, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Determination for sure, but to a degree that was pretty damn dangerous. He squeezed cars up to the wall, squeezed them below the white line, etc. He was in it to win it, but he was warned one or two times for his driving on top of the pit incident. His pit incident caused a caution on top of everything else as well.

He clearly did enough to win, but it would have been more deserved had he had to serve a penalty during the race. The second they said what they were going to do about the penalty I had a hunch he was going to win the race. I'm not saying they were making it happen so he would win, I just figured it would be more post-race Indy drama.