2015 Indy Car | Page 38 | FerrariChat

2015 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Early in 2014, after finishing perhaps the longest article I'd ever written about growing
    up in Sebring ("Sebring International Raceway: Evolution of a Tradition") which went into
    some detail about on and off track activities at Sebring circa 1968 to present, I was contacted
    by the PR department of Andretti Sports Marketing.

This, I thought, was to be about their Formula E event in Miami but this guy, Adam (think that
    was his name), to inquire if I could write a similar type piece about the history of the Milwaukee
    Mile for their official program.

All this, despite the fact I've never so much as been to Milwaukee. The piece that he wanted
    would be an encompassing history of the Milwaukee Mile (which has been pointed out is
    the oldest circuit in the country, 100 +/- years) so, no small project.

I listened to the request and told Adam that I'd get back to him as it would be an interesting
    project no doubt but something that would take tons of research, time, expense, etc. as I'd
    literally be operating from Square One, unlike the Sebring piece which was basically done
    out of my head with the cooperation of participants such as drivers and former promoters
    who agreed to provide quotes.

When we spoke next, my reply was I would do the piece if I got total cooperation in Milwaukee,
    access to archives and, of course and some mention of a fee for all the trouble.

His reply was that he thought that I'd be able to create recollections of the 100 year
    history of the Milwaukee Mile out of my head just as like my Sebring piece (which he'd
    evidently not completely read) and, of course, they wouldn't be able to pay for the piece
    but they'd be happy to provide free tickets to the race.

Hmmmm, what a tough decision.

I suggested that they'd really need to contact a Milwaukee Mile historian to do such a piece,
    someone with intimate, first hand knowledge of the facility, assuming that they had such a
    person there on staff but evidently not.

The point is, if promotional entities like Andretti Sports Marketing wants to take over these
    significant events, they need to stock their PR departments with knowledgeable racing people
    such as historians as the very foundation of racing is steeped in history. They don't realize
    this as we see time and again, the PR staffs within tracks and sanctioning bodies are filled
    with fresh faced college kids with brand new marketing degrees in their pockets and absolutely
    no knowledge about racing, its history or much else for that matter.

As long as these kids are good looking, have straight white teeth and their costumes fit, nothing
    else really seems to matter.

And, they wonder why racing is floundering.

BHW

2. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Thats interesting & bothersome Barton. I've been working with someone else from ASM. The 'polished' kids they have that I've communicated with really are clueless.

3. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Maybe if the shows presented were of a higher quality, then the track promoter would then invest as needed. You can not blame a track for not investing when they know that it will not bring one more person thru the gates. Again look at the product and the cost to present it vs the return. ICS simply does produce a profit for a track.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Do I understand correctly that the Milwaukee Indy Car race was a one day only
    event the way Formula E does?

BHW

5. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Yes except for the lone practice session Sat late afternoon for Indycar it was a single day event.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    500k viewers on NBCSN with that time slot so I guess it worked...

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I thought the whole Friday-Saturday-Sunday format was to get some local media
    coverage going on Friday and Saturday (newspapers and TV, such as they are) so that
    area residents get excited about it enough to go out and see the race in person.

With a virtual one day format, now it would seem that it's becoming a waste of time for
    the teams to even show up.

How many paying spectators is Milwaukee claiming were in attendance? Remembering
    the height of the CART days when those grandstands would be packed to lately when
    they've been virtually empty.

Do the Indy Car sponsors like Verizon think 500K TV viewers is a good enough audience
    for them to keep putting money into the series?

Reminds of the days of GrandAm's new "Man on the Street" fans and how they all
    stayed away from their marquis event by the droves.

BHW

8. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Yea.....1983 after Tom Sneva won the 500......the place was standing room only. As for Verizon.....my bet when the contract runs out.....so do they.

9. forzatifosi

forzatifosi Karting

Aug 30, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J
    i remember back in the 90s when Speedgear and all the other vendors would open on Thursday...it was a huge deal...almost had the atmosphere of a grand prix weekend...completely packed every year

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know.

An apt proverb for the leadership of this boondoggle.

11. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    The wealth of certain people clouds their eyes to the realities of what is about to happen. May the get taken down a notch when it does.

12. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Makes you wonder if the people advising them are just yes men or hell bent on total destruction. As much as I dislike the family for basically ruining American open wheel racing, I almost feel bad for the Hulman-George's.

They need to decouple their emotions from their decision making.

I was reading an article on Hemmings about the 1969 AAR "Santa Ana" chassis entered by Smokey Yunick, driven by Joe Leonard. Before my time, but the restored car is a work of art, beautiful in its simplicity and brutality (estimated at 800hp).

At that moment I realized how critical it is to return to a "run what ya brung" model. Some controls are necessary, but the relative innovations and creativity of guys like Gurney, Yunick, Chapman, Penske etc are what make the series exciting.

Honestly, at this incredibly low point in the series history, a risk like this might be just what they need.

13. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Thank you !!! At least one person gets it. I have tried to follow in those footsteps and emulate these people. Corporate America has effectively destroyed the sport. Greatness does not come from out dollaring everyone. It comes from taking a different view and making due with what you have. I met Smokey back in the 80's and had an all afternoon chat with him. We discussed thoughts and ideas. I left feeling that I was on the right road in racing. Today....all I see is the train wreck that greed, stupidity and arrogance has left. With it the sport will die. A shame to think of all those who want to walk in those footsteps but can not simply because of the arrogance of those in charge.

14. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #939 Whisky, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    It all comes back to the SAME THING.

Motorsports is pretty-much destroyed as we know it for many reasons.
    We grew up watching larger-than-life drivers compete, in SEVERAL series,
    and these guys raced for 25-30 years.
    We will never see what we grew up with: Andretti, Foyt, all the Unsers, Sneva, Rutherford, Johncock, Mears-types.

Boxing is almost the same way, it too has been destroyed, but mainly because of
    all the different sanctioning organizations.

The rise of the NFL and NBA helped kill it, too.

And it doesn't help when promoters want more-more-more, and we see
    less-less-less 'good' product. It all seems to be about the entertainment
    and less about ths sport.

Another thing to think about is when did motorsports start to slide in the USA?
    Funny - about the time 'all' motorsports were starting to get picked up by TV,
    specifically ESPN when they picked up nascar, gee, now we can race for a
    pittance and get national exposure for our sponsors. THEN racing started
    getting REAL expensive.

Yes, motorsports is doomed in the USA as we knew it, but so are a lot
    of things, and it also doesn't help that for the last 15 years we have
    switched to the digital age of instant satisfaction.

15. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great race in Iowa

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So, are we even still commenting on Indy Car here?

Admittedly, having missed the last 2/3rds of the season (including Indy), which doesn't
    seem to matter much, Indy Car just seems to have a talent for as this Autosport writer
    suggests "peeing in their own swimming pool" by announcing these new restrictive rules
    which are being interpreted as a gag order on drivers.

So, naturally, instead of looking in the mirror, Indy Car now blames their drivers for
    the mess they're in and look to further alienate the drivers from the media (such as it
    is) just at a time when they're CLAIMING increases in TV ratings (which I don't believe).

To wit:

Competitors must be respectful, professional, fair and courteous to others. At all times,
    Competitors must not, attempt to, or engage in conduct or statements that in the judgment
    of INDYCAR:

a) Threatens or denigrates any Official, fellow Competitor or the INDYCAR brand;
    b) Calls into question the integrity or legitimacy of the Rules or their application, construction or interpretation;
    c) Denigrates the IndyCar Series racing schedule or Event(s);
    d) Threatens or denigrates any INDYCAR business relationship, including those with sponsors or broadcasters;
    e) Otherwise threatens the integrity, reputation or public confidence of the sport, INDYCAR, or IndyCar Series.

Full article:

New driver conduct rule not a 'gag order' - IndyCar boss Mark Miles - IndyCar news - AUTOSPORT.com

Dunno guys, does anyone besides Robin Miller even care any more?

BHW

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    New driver conduct policy is idiotic. Under that policy, they can't even comment on the other drivers on the grid after a race. That is way more strict than the NFL conduct policy, as just one example - the most successful American sport commercially. They are going to kill rivalries.

Not only does Indycar management not appear to understand racing drivers, they don't appear to understand athletes in general or the fans. Pathetic.

"In the judgement of Indycar" - translation: unilateral determination without any representation or appeal process. Humans love being treated this way as we all know.

It's funny because F1 went through something similar this year with people complaining about various aspects of the sport. Guess what? A lot of it is changing for 2016/2017. What they didn't do is implement rules to try to gag people as if that changes reality. True racing fans are astute and they know what's going on. It's a reflection of how out of touch Indycar management is that they don't get this.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The only way Indy Car would be worth watching now is if there was a wholesale
    house cleaning, including sale of the series, and key positions being filled by real
    racing people (not tennis, rodeo or golf aficionados) or kids fresh out of college
    with shiny new marketing degrees.

They're so far off the beam now that its become a joke. They constantly seem to be
    on the back foot, constantly on the defensive. And, in the rare occasions they do seem
    to do something proactive, it's in the form of this new directive.

On the upside, just read earlier that there is a movement afoot to sell the series. This
    is the first I've seen of it and it wasn't much for details. Does anyone know more
    about this supposed sale?

If they'd just get the Indiana bumpkins out of the way, they may have a glimmer of
    a chance.

BHW

19. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Analogous to the government - unintended consequences. They mean well, but they are so far removed from the fan experience (their constituents) that the decision making is orthogonal to what's necessary.

A gag order on drivers, in a series that NEEDS drivers to be characters, is a death knell. As Barton says, a full house cleaning is in order.

Unfortunately, that won't happen until there is total and utter collapse. I don't think IndyCar is operating at a profit, but surely the Indy 500 / IMS is, so the Hulman-George family probably couldn't care less.

20. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I'm an older guy and I hate to see Indy go this way - makes me sad

21. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Foyt having to play fair? Bobby Unser not saying whats on his mind.......and what about Mario????

Good god......they are turng this into pee wee baseball. Soon everyone will be getting participation trophies. Next.......every driver will be required to pee sitting down. When will this madness end???

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    LOL!

Don't give them any ideas Turbo!

BHW

23. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    oh my.

what the hell is going on at IndyCar marketing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL80EOU-OE0[/ame]

24. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
  25. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That's just embarrassing.