2015 Porsche 911 GT3 | FerrariChat

2015 Porsche 911 GT3

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by rob lay, Dec 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Our first Porsche! It was on my short list of cars I wanted to try. Hank Carpenter and Ft. Lauderdale offered the most trade for Cali T and they had this car I really liked. Transaction was extremely easy. Had deal done within a day, they picked up Cali T few days later, and then I got the GT3 quickly today.

Only a little 15 mile drive including my local "city race track" course. Funny, but that road had two other Porsches hitting it hard too. Maybe it is true that the Porsche guys really do drive their cars. :) First impressions...

1) Great looks - the yellow and black trim out very striking. The big rear spoiler and front splitter make it as aggressive looking as it can be.

2) Good seating feel - I like the sport bucket seats and position. Feels ready to hit race track, but comfortable enough to tolerate in town.

3) Sounds great - What!?! I always thought 911's were quiet, this car sounds like a beast.

4) Linear Power - Love the consistent linear strong power in the NA engine compared to Cali T which seems disappointedly sluggish until the turbos hit.

5) Steering travel - Tons of steering wheel travel required for slow turns. I'm wondering if that is setup thing that gives it better feel at speed/track?

I will keep everyone updated my experience.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Yeah, but does Jennie like it? :D

3. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    rob lay likes this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jennie likes it and Mia really likes it, FYI she didn't like the Cali too much.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Rob, congrats on the trade! The GT3 is an amazing machine. I was reading your classified thread and it sounds like an interesting experience with Ferrari to say the least. I'm looking forward to your thread where you go more into details on that.

Enjoy the GT3 in good health!

rob lay likes this.
  6. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M

Agree. I put the Sharkworks exhaust on my GT3. Nice improvement. Compared to Fcar exhausts, pretty reasonably priced. Talk with Alex. He is a good guy.

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Enjoy, I would have a lot of fun taking that apart!

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Joined the PCA! :D $46 beats the FCA $150. Maverick region is one of largest with 2,000+ members. Our local FCA DFW with less than 200 members does just as many events, but some obvious differences! Both do similar amount of lunches, but PCA has them spread out around DFW more localized and open. The FCA lunches are pretty small just for board planning stuff although technically open to any member. Besides that FCA does hardly any rallies and zero track stuff. PCA's calendar is full of actually driving stuff rallies, autocrosses, drivers education, and own club racing series. They have the driving part covered! FCA is more social happy hours and dinners, I saw hardly any on the PCA calendar.

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I've never been a part of a PCA group that wasn't really active, and they're really driving/tracking oriented. I enjoyed being a part of it.

Plus most dealers give 10% discounts on parts/service with a PCA member card. pays for itself with an annual service.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The GT3 is a fantastic car and as a racer you will love it. I had my 2010 C4S at the track for a charity event and was given the keys to a GT3. The C4S is no slouch but it felt absolutely pedestrian compared to the GT3. In addition the PDK is just awesome. The shifting was so good that I just left it in automatic mode. Congratulations on the purchase.

rob lay likes this.
  12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Sounds like you're converting over to Pcars...can't blame you. ;)

Plus it looks like you have steel rotors on your GT3, which is great for track days. A lot cheaper and just as good as ceramics and no worries about a pebble getting stuck between the pad and rotor causing expensive damage...

13. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    Rob, great looking car! Bring it out to schnellfest at COTA. We have a spring and fall event, and the event two weeks ago had about ~80+ GT3/GT3RS in attendance along with another 150+ cars.

rob lay likes this.
  14. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Awesome!

Looks fantastic, enjoy it

rob lay likes this.
  15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Wow... that Lexus is homely... would never buy a car that looks like that.

rob lay likes this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    nah, Ferrari always, but wanted to play the field a little. Will try Lamborghini or McLaren next. :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Rob... Looks awesome in speed yellow. Enjoy it. And, get clear side markers before the PPP gets on your case. PCA has a monthly social, third Thursday of most months, excepting holiday season. Good mix of folks from racing enthusiasts to those, like me, who are all about styling & profiling in our P-cars!...T

PPP = Porsche Purists Police

Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  18. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Rob, if you get into the Porsche thing and join the PCA, they hold both an East Coast and West Coast technical session at the appropriate Porsche technical training centers. I just got back from my second west coast one (in the Ontario area on Saturday, tied with the LA auto show). I am anything but a Porsche fanboy (though I am enjoying my '13 C4S) but the daylong sessions are fantastic if you are into cars and/or into the brand and/or into technical details regarding autos. Being able to both sit in and crawl around an '18 GT2RS was a bonus. While Porsche's engineering obsession doesn't always translate into better cars, it is fascinating to glimpse.

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But, but, you have to hang with Porsche people. They like to argue over whether toilet paper should go over the top or come out the bottom.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    LOL, I saw my CPA is VP of the local chapter.

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

wow! Didnt know u liked cars so much;) u didnt keep the T for that long? Did you buy it unseen?
    Keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Trying to avoid the big depreciation hits on the T. Yes, got the GT3 unseen.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Thats why i bought a TR; shouldn’t lose too much. Thinking in 2024 for its 40 year anniversary it could be higher in value but wont likely have it by then;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    That confirms it then. Nerdville.

I once took a P-Bug to a PCA concours. One expert told me I had to line up my valve stems with the crest in the wheel caps.

LI2782 and rob lay like this.
  25. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I am a big Porsche fan, but have to say...

What is the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine?