2015 Porsche 911 GT3 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2015 Porsche 911 GT3

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by rob lay, Dec 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they both hurt when you hit them? :D OK, I'll stop being a prick. ;)

2. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    No, just get back inside the car. :p lol

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Haven't heard that old gem in a while...T

4. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Hope you enjoy it! I have 997.1 gt3 and love it, good buddy has 2015 gt3 — I get quite a bit of seat time in. I definitely recommend the sharkwerks or GMG center exhaust. I have sharkwerks, he has GMG. They both are intoxicating, but also no drone.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We really tested it out yesterday, 100 mile hard rally very curvey roads most of time triple digits. Then more interstate route home, but in pack doing 90+. We have also been staying in downtown Dallas, so city streets and parking garages (love the front end lift!).

I will start with negatives, not too many and pretty minor. Funny story first we had this awful vibration and cruise RPM's and thought it was the center dash clock. I was so mad as that clock is so useless anyway. Turns out it was just our garage door opener we clipped to sunvisor. :D

1. At idle car does sound like a VW bug, transmission clicks and clanks like a race car does with race clutch. Is that typical, I'm sure it does have a pretty aggressive clutch. It also gets off line and drives slow like car with race clutch you need to be either on it or off, doesn't like being babied.

2. Car as corner blind spots for slow turning around curbs in town, just need to assume extra room since you can't see anything. Rearview blocked by spoiler doesn't bother me you can still see enough.

3. Car really tracks and darts with the undelations in road. Gets your attention on rally 100 mph when car all of a sudden darts to side. You learn to trust it as dart is quick and then continues to track straight.

4. Wish it had 20 gallon tank, I believe it is around 14-15.

That is all the negatives, amazing car!

I'm starting to wonder in mine doesn't have some aftermarket exhaust work, it sounds great and LOUD! I saw option list it has Sport exhaust, but how loud is that? Any hints how I can see if aftermarket? Guess I can post pics.

The car is an absolute beast, but easy to drive! I love it so much coming out of Cali T. The power is linear and like a sports car should be you have all the feel you need to be in control, it isn't like the Cali and many modern "sports" cars that numb the experience and try to save you from yourself. You still have to drive the GT3 and it rewards you for it.

The biggest indicator of the performance is in the rally I was downshifting to 3rd corners like I would in any other car, but then I was always at redline. I had to start mentally overriding myself to only go to 4th because the car can really go through corners that fast. Amazing! 200 miles of very hard driving and never once did back end get out. The natural balance of the car is perfect, especially no understeer except in 2nd gear slow slow 90 degree corners, but this is not an autocross car!

Well, that rally is about as hard of a street test as I will do, next up the track!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Natkingcolebasket69 and LI2782 like this.
  6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice write up Rob! glad you're enjoying it.

re: fuel capacity, is it possible to retrofit the larger fuel tank? it's 26 gallons IIRC.

re: steering darting with road surface. my old GT3 (996) had either square or toe out on the front wheels for better turn in, from the factory. that seems to be a Porsche "GT" car trait. if it bothers you, have some toe in put into the alignment. it kinda freaked me out the first time I changed lanes on the freeway at 80+ but I got used to it pretty quickly.

rob lay likes this.
  7. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    So glad you like it. The GT3 is an amazingly capable car and under rated. IMHO I think it is a better car than the RS.

The transmission noise is normal. There is not much sound deadening material, so you hear everything. And the tranny is very much a race set up.

May want to have an alignment. Car should not dar or tram.

As you noted, the handling of this car is amazing. I never had the ear end get out on me ever. A lot of it is suspension. However, I think the biggest factor is the rear wheel steering. That and the PDK really makes this car.

rob lay likes this.
  8. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    1. Yes

The GT3's are pretty loud from factory.....but yes, take a pic of the exhaust, both center exhaust and sides as those are the typical modifications people do.

9. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I had the same GT3 experience. Putting some toe in back in the alignment does settle the trolly tracking down. It also makes it noticeable less fun on the track. I ended up just living with it.

GuyIncognito and rob lay like this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Had my detailer go through car today and he said in great condition.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So confirmed today a knowledgable Porsche friend plus and independent shop that I do have the Sharkworks muffler. Love the sound, not too loud around town, but when you get on it she screams.

Took it out to track first time today. It did a great job. Much more power than the 355 Challenge, but doesn't quite handle as well or brake as quick. They probably run near identical times as of now. Of course the 355 Challenge is tuned and prepared out where the GT3 could put slicks on and for less than $5k drop another 2-4 seconds.

Here is flying lap from today on the MSR Cresson 3.1. I was rusty plus learning the car, I have also only done a few sessions on the 3.1 as race organizations never use it.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    GuyIncognito likes this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    man, I'm really loving the car. even has me thinking about adding a roll bar for the track. more than just the safety I could add a safety harness. If I'm only going to keep car 6 months it probably isn't worth it. any others out there besides the Sharkwerks?

14. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Is that Jimpo's car out in the open? I thought it permanently resides in the Norwoods Shop :)

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, my 328 has taken the place of residing in Norwoods. :)

16. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Here are a couple popular options.

GMG https://shop.gmgracing.com/products/991-gt3-gt3rs-gmg-lms-harness-rollbar

BBI https://www.bbiautosport.com/products-1/porsche-991-gt3-gt3rs-streetcup-roll-bar?category=991.1%20GT3

rob lay likes this.
  17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Finlander likes this.
  18. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Congratulations! We got a GT3 earlier this year and I've been nothing but impressed. The car is fantastic.

rob lay likes this.
  19. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    I have the BBI in both my GT3 and GT3RS....get Jerry to add a bar on the front structure, but lower than the rear bar for the harnesses as it sits a tad bit too high.

I've had GMG products before, stay with the BBI bar. Competition motorsports has one too, thats also a great option.

rob lay likes this.
  20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so some will find this funny. after I took GT3 to track Saturday and made complimentary comment the GT3 could run similar laps as my 355 Challenge on the MSR 1.7 a Porsche diehard went ballistic how could a 22 year old car be fast as a street Porsche. In the Ferrari club there are no track arguments because no one tracks their car! ;) This certainly confirms negative Porsche stereotype of ******* engineer types with no personality or humor. :) He brought a knife to a gun fight though as I actually do have over decade of racing experience and especially the MSR 1.7. I'm throwing hard statistics lap times etc at the Porsche guy, so he's lost his own toolbox.

so far we have proof on the 355 Challenge I have run 1:18's, Rob Cohen has run 1:17's, and we think Jason Hart could run 1:16's. best times we've heard so far on GT3 is high 1:17's with Jason Hart driving (one of top 20-30 pros in country). Also heard someone else say 1:18's. so +/- a second my statement holds true a 355 Challenge and 100% street GT3 will run similar laps MSR 1.7. Of course HP tracks like COTA or TWS the GT3 would have advantage.

mclaudio, slm, Nuvolari and 1 other person like this.
  21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    a 22 year old car.....on slicks with racing springs, dampers, alignment, corner balanced, etc etc etc :rolleyes:

Sfumato and Texas Forever like this.
  22. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Porsche guys can get touchy when you challenge their performance figures. Good thing you had the sense to use a Ferrari as the yardstick. Had you used the 'lowly' Corvette things may have escalated :D

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  24. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Rob, you were being a real Internet bully. Those Porsche owners don't like people pissing in their Cheerios.

rob lay and Texas Forever like this.
  25. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Video unavailable :(