2016 California T | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2016 California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by bookem, Jun 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Drove my Cali T today for 5 hours and in the middle of the drive dang radio quit working.............
    No display, no sound, no audio, nothing. Freaking radio is dead.

I will check the radio and amplifier fuses tomorrow.

I've now read threads here so I will try to do a battery reset, push the on off button for 30 seconds, charge my iPhone fully to try and reset the head unit.

I hope the stereo system is covered by my 2 year New Power Warranty.

So frustrating..............
    For the amount of money they charge for these cars especially the Hi Fi option you think they can at least partner with Pioneer or Alpine and put a nicer sounding unit that has a good history of being reliable. And also make their cars user friendly that it would be easy for the owner to upgrade the head unit & speakers should they choose to.

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Sorry to hear, Dan ... let us know how you fare. I don't see the radio mentioned in the New Power brochure but Steve at Boardwalk Ferrari in Dallas is very responsive to questions about warranties ... his handle on here is SAFE4NOW.

It's possible that the selling dealer might exert a little leverage for you, as well, seeing as you just bought the car.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Vic,

Thanks for chiming in and info about Steve of Boardwalk Ferrari. I have read some of his posts on new power warranty. Great guy he is.

I read the details of my New Power Warranty this morning and no mention of the stereo system so most likely its not covered.

And yes, you are right, since I just bought the car a month ago most likely the selling dealer will work with me on my stereo system issue.
    My salesman there was the sales manager Tim Beers. Another great guy to work with.

The good news is - I just now got done doing a battery reset and the radio started working again. Interesting.........
    So Im good for now. Thanks again for chiming in.

But at some point in time I still plan on upgrading the head unit and speakers.
    Stereo is so muddy sounding at low level and harsh sounding at high level. Our cars deserve better.

I drove to a local park yesterday to relax and forget about the troubles our nation is facing right now (Covid, BLM protests), tried to listen to music and nothing works. Just so frustrating............

Here's a couple of photos for sharing.

Peace to all of you.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Drphilgood, Justicepool and vjd3 like this.
  4. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Dan I have decided to upgrade my head unit and speakers this summer. I haven't decided on the head unit yet, but I want to have wireless apple car play. I'll be going with Dynaudio speakers, likely a Morel 10" subwoofer and will keep it as simple, but upgraded, as possible.

John

whatheheck and BLAMPEE like this.
  5. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I did Focal Separates in my F355 Spider with an Alpine Digital Amp (very small and very little power draw) and it was great with the top down.

Justicepool likes this.
  6. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I do miss those few Sunny PNW days.......no better place in the world to be in July and August. :)

whatheheck and Justicepool like this.
  7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Awesome!

Kindle share info once your done John. Thanks!!!

Dan

Justicepool likes this.
  8. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Dynaudio tweeters upgraded in 911.2's make a massive difference. And that is just the tweeters.

Which head unit are your looking at? Which ones work with a 16-17 Cali T?

I don't use the radio/sound system enough to upgrade (prefer the engine sound) but I think you are making a great choice to go with Dynaudio speakers.

Good luck.

9. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.

Haven't settled on a head unit just yet. Will likely be a Kenwood or Pioneer unit with wireless apple car play. I don't remember when I first started using Dynaudio speakers. I think the mid 90's. It has been a long time. I have tried other speakers over the years (Focal, Morel), but keep coming back to Dynaudio. They just work for me.

John

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi John,

Do you plan on doing the work yourself or have a shop do it for you?

Dan

11. Justicepool

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Probably have a shop do the install. I will only keep the car for 1-3 years so I don't want to go overboard on $$$. We shall see. If it's too cost prohibitive I'll take the install on. I've done many installs over the years......

whatheheck likes this.
  12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Same here, I change cars every 3 years.

If its not too much of a challenge I prefer to do the work myself as no one cares more about our cars than us owners.

When I had my 360 Spider the previous owner proudly shared with me that the stereo has been upgraded and done by a professional shop.
    It looks great from the inside cabin. Once I checked the wire routing and workmanship I had to redo just about everything. I was extremely disappointed.

I found bad crimps, metal shavings, extra screws and washers, bare metal close to battery terminals that can cause a short, etc. Horrible job.
    And I also like to learn more about my cars so I do most of the work myself except when I determined its beyond my capabilities or like you said, they are asking too much for labor.

For stereo stuff I used to install car stereos when I was in college and have learned a lot.

Anyway, kindly share what you learn and what system you end up installing.

Thanks.

Dan

Justicepool likes this.