2016 Indy Car | Page 4 | FerrariChat

2016 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    More stupidity from the IndyCar star chamber. The main influencer was a coke user for goodness sake!!!

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #77 BartonWorkman, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah, $30M and this is what they came up with?

The other thing is the bit about that they had hoped to entice General Electric and
    Lockheed Aerospace. To do what?

GE and Lockheed have these enormous, bloated military contracts. Why in the world
    would they want to get involved with these Indy Car peons?

These guys are like the modern incarnation of "Mad Men" where they sit around their
    offices smoking, drinking and chasing secretaries all day and then come up with these
    half-baked schemes.

Remember the one where they had Gene Simmons come on board? WTF was that?

BHW
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Ahhhhhh...the smell of failure. It's like the smell of napalm in the morning!!!! 30 million for a utter failure. God do I love this. And the best part of all this nonsense was it was supposed to control cost!!! The brain dead will never understand that you can't control something that is out of control. Want to control cost Indy Car owners????? Try setting a maximum team budget and do not exceed it. Works for most companys. Budgets have a way of reeling in brain dead engineers hell bent on trying to re-invent the wheel. Spending millions to re-design a piston all in the effort to get more mileage out of an engine???? Try finding a way to lower the production costs of building engines in limited quanitity. Not a hard concept. It's called getting rid of dead wood and redundancy. These people need a trip to a company that manufacturers in a high tech enviroment. The the owners need to start sending people down the road. Costs decreases overnight.

Ahhhh yes Barton........Nigel Bennett's favorite flop!!!

:D

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    It would be interesting to know exactly what they spent $30M on.

We've now had no less than Scott Dixon (arguably the series best driver and reigning
    champion) along with team owners Michael Andretti and Sam Schmidt openly stating their
    displeasure wth these "aero kits".

We may only imagine what is being said privately been the rest of them.

BHW

5. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Can you imagine the amount of debris on the track once these POS start making
    contact with each other??

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    We saw a few instances of that last year as the "aero kits" started the season virtually
    untested and at the St. Petersburg opener, pieces of debris were all over the track, one
    of which got lifted into the air striking a woman on the head.

Indy Car responded by mandating that the "aero kit" wings, foils, tabs, fins, etc. be tethered
    to the cars which while making the cars safer, also makes them even less aesthetically pleasing
    (if that is at all possible).

BHW

7. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Season has been interesting so far. Some good racing going on...I just don't have enough time to invest in getting to know the drivers/teams like I do in F1.

One cool thing about this season is the number of rookies. Rossi, Daly, and Pigot. Watch out for Pigot - I think he'll take the rookie crown. I didn't see him at Long Beach - who drove the other Rahal Honda?

Also what happened to Gabby Chavez? Did he not secure a ride this season?

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's funny, I feel the opposite way-since nothing outside the top 3 teams matters in F1 I can't name half the grid. the last two or three F1 races I've watched there's been at least one driver on the grid I've never heard of.

Pigot is very good. IMO Daly shouldn't be considered a rookie.

Chavez got dumped in the Andretti/BHA/Rossi "merger" really late in the offseason (late Feb/early March IIRC) and all the full season rides are taken, unless he finds big $$$. I expect him to be in a car for the 500.

9. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    There's been a lot of turnover in the 2016 season. Some great talent coming up the ranks - like Pascal Wehrlein and Stoffel Vandoorne.

Agreed. I was surprised to see him listed as such. He's drive in the 500 before and quite a few other indy races, I believe.

Gotcha, thanks. Good luck to him.

10. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Has one considered that based upon the current number of cars that it cost approximately 1.1 million per car for aero only??? That is some cost control!!! Jim Hall's Chapparal 2K cost less than a 100k in its day, and broke record after record. Now we watch no new records and costs going thru the roof. God........this is so lame it isn't even funny!!

Bahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!! :D

11. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    They probably should ***** but personally I like Indy - problems aside

12. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Whatever you think of the management of the series, this has been one of the best seasons yet. Barber today was a fantastic race. The Rahal/Pagenaud battle was one of the most exciting on track battles I've seen in a while. Great racing!

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    hey now, none of that...can't say positive things on the Racing subforum on Fchat, you know.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Although I wasn't there today, I love the Barber track. And for anyone who says that it is difficult to pass there, I saw a lot more passing today than I had at Long Beach!

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Don't think anyone has complained about the actual racing itself which has been and
    is usually pretty good in Indy Car.

Actually got the live stream for a time yesterday. Then about a third of the way in, the
    stream inexplicably ended except for the audio. Oh well, shrug.

Read about the ending, sorry to have missed it.

BHW

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  17. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Sad to think a driver has to raise half a million in order to race. A while back all a good driver needed was a driver's suit and a helmet to get a ride. Sad to think it has gotten to this point.

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's true pretty much everywhere in motorsports now.

the true "hired gun" who just shows up and drives is pretty rare these days.

19. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #94 nathandarby67, Apr 27, 2016
    We had a great time at Barber, and the race itself was fantastic. Looking forward to watching the broadcast I DVR'd. I enjoyed the other races as well, especially PWC guys. We camped one night and had a grand time with that. Had a good time walking the paddock and my son was pumped about getting to sit in a few cars and meet some of the drivers. I loved the attention to detail and first class nature of everything in the Penske paddock, truly impressive the effort those guys put forth. I read where attendance was about 90K, so decent fan interest is there. If Indycar could just get their corporate/rules BS together we could really have something nice.

20. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Sad to think that "pay to play" is now the norm. Mediocre drivers and over-inflated costs simply force the rest of us to look away.

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Boston IndyCar race just went tits up.

nobody saw that coming :rolleyes:

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #97 BMW.SauberF1Team, Apr 29, 2016
    It was a lot of fun last weekend seeing it all in person.. He's my pic of Rahal with his broken wing holding onto first place in the back straight before being passed on the last turn of that same lap.

23. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  24. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

Sounds more like government drones in Boston didn't get the bribes they were looking for, and as a result didn't call off their enviro nazis.

Seriously, what the heck does it matter if race cars drive through the 100 year flood plain or not? I can not even fathom the need for "permits" for something like that. I'd move my race elsewhere as well rather than deal with crap like that. Surely there's another city more willing to work with them.

25. embraer

embraer Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2012
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Mike
    just saw this thread. got my tix for angie's list gp, the 500, and I would do the brickyard vintage invitational, but I'll be in Le Mans that weekend. pretty excited for the 500 this year.

side note, scott Dixon lives just down the street from me. ha!