2016 Indy Car | Page 5 | FerrariChat

2016 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The Boston Indy Car event was doomed from the beginning.

Too many obstacles to over come, an apathetic public that bugs out of the city on
    the holiday weekend, bureaucracy on a level not to be believed and of course Indy Car's
    announcement of the event before any deals had been formalized, etc.

It is funny because I had just run across an article earlier in the week touting how the
    event was 100% "on" and how an Indy Car show car was on display at local events such
    as Red Sox and Celtics games, all this.

The whole thing just never made sense.

Now, they're in spin mode, looking to replace the date with another event. Maybe that hot
    bed of American open-wheeled racing, Providence, R.I.? Dunno guys, how does Indy Car
    pull their head out of their ass on this one?

BHW

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think that "everything's OK" press release was Wednesday....

they either need to go to Loudon or the Glen. of course, late summer is when those two tracks have their coveted NASCAR dates so I doubt that's gonna happen.

3. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

Watkins Glen sounds like the no-brainer of the group to me. Which means they'll probably create an all new race in Buffalo or Pittsburg.

Here's an idea. Maybe throw it waaaay back and have a race out at Bridgehampton?!? ;)

4. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Does anything these people do make any sense????? As for pulling one's head out of their ass..........they haven't done it in 21 years....why stop now!!! :D

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The ISC kicked Indy Car out of most of their tracks.

Now, they're out of Fontana but back in at Phoenix.

Unlikely that they'd allow Indy Car back in at Watkins Glen.

Loudon is a possibility but whatever happened to the Nazareth track? That
    track used to produce some incredible races.

Anyway, it's too bad. Indy Car seems to be its own worst enemy.

BHW

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    among other issues, there's now a tree in the middle of the backstretch of Nazareth :(

I love short oval IndyCar racing, I miss Nazareth, Richmond, Gateway, Milwaukee...

7. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003

Boston politics 101- so many agencies had something to say and not enough money to appease them

8. GRahal09

GRahal09 Rookie

Nov 28, 2011
    ISC didn't kick IndyCar out of any of their tracks. It was IndyCars choice to not go to any ISC tracks, and I would see this issue dissolving with Jay Frye at the helm.

We never had a great relationship with ISC tracks in the first place, but this seems to be coming to an end and I would think you will see us back at more of those tracks.

Boston never had a hope due to the locals being stubborn about it, and never giving it a chance. However thats fine, we will fill it with a great event, and something that can truly grow for the future.

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :)

10. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    That is why they make chain saws!!!! Problem solved!!! :D

I agree on short ovals. Lots of fun and plenty of action. Best stuff was years ago. Watching a Sneva-Bobby U dual at Milwaukee was one. Same at Trenton. Nothing beats an outside pass when you are going three wide into the dog leg!! But now we see.......none of the above. Oh well......resume boredom.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    At the beginning of the season, Indy Car officialdom was pointing to Boston as being
    a new breakout event on the east coast. They were practically banking on it.

All this, even though the event itself was in question. Those close to the situation stated that
    the event had been announced and put on the calendar despite the fact that the event
    was by no means a done deal and hoops remained to be jumped through.

Someone put the cart before the horse, either the promoter or Indy Car. And even though
    there was optimism, reports kept coming out that the City of Boston that local residents
    were up in arms about it and politicos were being kept in the dark.

At one time or another Indy Car raced on ISC tracks Homestead, Richmond, Watkins Glen,
    Michigan, Kansas, Fontana and/or Phoenix. And today, only one of these tracks remains
    on the Indy Car schedule. While "kicked out" may be a strong term, perhaps "not invited
    back" would be more suitable. Whichever, the ISC's message was clear.

There are plenty of other venues in the country where Indy Car has strong history, the already
    mentioned northeast ovals and others such as Laguna Seca and Portland come to mind.
    They've gotten venues like Road America and Pocono back on the schedule, why not add
    a few more like these without having to build a new tradition from Square One?

Someone better get their arms around Indy Car and fast.

BHW

12. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Someone like Joe Cloutier comes to mind. Ruled Indy with an iron hand and made sure that anyone could race the 500 or any other USAC Indy car event. Brought up the prize money and gave many people a chance at glory. He kept a lid on the reckless spending and made sure the playing field was level. Bring someone like that forward and you will have all of what Indy was. Different engines, chassis, transmissions and innovation. Kept the sport exciting and fresh. Sadly missed by those that raced at Indy in an earlier time.

13. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    There was the ISC marriage to Tony George, which brought nascar racing to Indy.

Face it, guys, 'Indy Car' racing as we knew it has been dead for many
    years, and will NEVER be back, ever. And I LOVED Indy Car racing until
    the CART split, then I gave it a few years to right itself, then determined it
    was DOA, and now I don't watch it more than maybe 20 minutes TOTAL
    a year. Just to see if anything has changed. It has - for the worst.

14. embraer

embraer Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2012
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Mike
    im still into it. it really does keep my interest more than F1.

15. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    True....but it doesn't need to be that way. Like you i simply turn off the tv off altogether and place it on ignore. My thoughts will always be of the great racing that was. You simply can not replace the 1982 500 or the 89 500 or any of the other truly great races from the 60's-90's. One can not "manage" great racing. It simply comes on its own. 33 of the same old is not racing. It is a parade and nothing more.

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The Paul Newman quote sums it up - "you can't go where people don't want you". Street races are a show, but outside of Long Beach, do they REALLY work?

I like having them, but why not do like they used to do at the Meadowlands in NJ (parking lot)? It's a "street race", but out of the traffic and doesn't impact much. Having been to Meadowlands - never a great course, but a fun time, albeit in the CART heyday.

The bigger issue is breaking away from the ISC / SMI duopoly, and unfortunately, street races help that.

18. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    How can you fix stupid? You can't. The only thing it can do is hit the reset button and move back to a rule book similar to USAC/CART pre 1994. We seem to forget that before all the big sponsor dollars showed up, we had a pretty nice mix of cars/engines/drivers. The money can return if the powers figure out that they are the real problem. Sometimes the hardest pill to swallow is the one you know you have to. In Indy Cars case.......their own pride. Both side made the mess......no both have to fix it. Not the rest of the world kneeling to them. As the saying goes......"pride goeth before a fall". The have fallen very hard.......clean it up !

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Street races are a show. A show case for sponsors to put their banners up everywhere,
    to block views of the track for spectators and photographers.

Don't get me wrong, there are some really good street races (Long Beach and St. Petersburg)
    where, if done right, they may have a successful business model working closely with
    local governments.

But, most of the time, these street courses are a shambles. Spectators get to see the cars
    for about two seconds before they disappear around a bend so they're not friendly for
    the ticket buying public.

The Miami Grand Prix of the Americas was such a case. When started, the promoters took a $4M
    loan from the City of Miami to move the event forward. In the first year of the event (2002?),
    the circuit was not ready for the first practice sessions. The place was like a construction zone,
    one of my photo colleagues had severely cut his hand on some loose fencing and he had to make
    his way back for medical attention.

Everywhere we went, there were construction materials to negotiate, all this with thousands
    of dollars worth of camera equipment in tow, it reminiscent of a military obstacle course.

Naturally, the loan that the promoters received from the City was not repaid. The combined
    ALMS/Champ Car event went on none the less for a second year before folding. This, in a
    city with a long history of motorsport involvement.

Just read that Watkins Glen and Gateway are on Indy Car's radar. Let's see how this plays
    out. My hunch is, both go nowhere.

BHW

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Gateway is owned by one guy who can make decisions independently and really wants IndyCar to be there; IMO if that race doesn't happen, it's probably IndyCar's fault. early September is a great time of year in St Louis too, weather wise.

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    In violent agreement, I just think that Tony George is so inept that he couldn't outmaneuver France and Bruton Smith. The street race - other than independent tracks - is all they have. And as a business man, I'm confident I know why some independent tracks remain independent.

If the product is strong, people will come. Right now, the product is garbage - it's really in a death spiral, but it's so slow it's painful.

22. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    I agree! The series has become so boring and basically it's no longer on anyone's radar except the hardcore fans. The cars are ugly, the drivers stale except for a few and the tracks are ho -hum except for the old time tested locations. Although the owners before the split were heading down the wrong road, what Tony George did to this series was nothing more than the result of ego and selfishness, which usually go together.

Get rid of the ugly cars, relax the rules, increase the horsepower and get someone in charge who doesn't have to kiss Penske, Gannassi and others butt to keep their job! maybe Bobby Rahal could lead this group and hive him a five year contract with such a large buyout penalty that he'll stay in power the duration of his contract etc....Who knows??? I just know the current direction is the same course the Titanic was taking on her maiden voyage....Rant over...Peace out!

23. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    IMS announces reserved seating 100% sold out.

Is the 100th running of the 500 a big enough drawing card to completely sell out
    reserved seating? Perhaps.

The distinction may be in the term "reserved" seating. Does IMS have general admission
    seating as well? What sort of packages are they offering this year?

IMS confirms 100th Indy 500 reserved seats are sold out ? MotorSportsTalk

BHW

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I believe general admission is infield only (including the infamous "snake pit").

100th anniversary is a big deal but the 500 has been an amazing show for five or six years in a row-lets give them credit for that. I think 3 of the 5 fastest 500s ever have been since 2011, we've seen photo finishes, people stuffing the car in a battle for the lead on the last lap, just some epic stuff. that draws a crowd.

25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    For their sake, hope you're right.

BHW