News

2017 California T leather deforming

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Jonathan Gross, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Jonathan Gross

Feb 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gross
    Purchased a 2017 California T last year, and I noticed the roll bar covers and the driver dash leather are loosening up and getting ripples. Has anyone had the same problems? The car is currently at the dealer for service, I have extended warranty and free maintenance. Does the fix include new material, or reapplication of glue?

whatheheck and SAFE4NOW like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. vjd3

vjd3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    There was a post recently commenting that this occurs because Ferrari only uses glue to put the leather on instead of glue and staples, so the glue loosens up with heat over time. When they repair it, they should staple it down so it will hold better.

I do not believe this would be covered under the extended New Power warranty but if you extended the original new car warranty with two additional years before it expired, it probably would be. Or, if you're servicing it at the dealership where you bought it, they might give you some goodwill on it.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve F
    Roll bar covers are not terribly expensive to have recovered. The dash would be a few thousand dollars plus R&R time. Depending on your dash colors, sometimes straight black can be a little less expensive than two tone. Then again, pay a little more and get a one of one done... if you are doing it anyways!

Could be covered under warranty extension like vjd3 mentioned, but not under new power warranty.

S

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I have a post here about that.

It's a common issue on Cali T.

Mine is a 2016 Cali T and my roll bar covers are warped too due to leather shrinkage, heat from sun.
    I am now applying 303 Leather Treatment with UV protection to protect the interior leather from UV rays.

I will be removing mine and have it recovered by a local leather car guy. I'm estimating around $200.00 parts and labor.