Sold - 2017 Ferrari California T HS - 800 miles $199k | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sold 2017 Ferrari California T HS - 800 miles $199k

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by rob lay, Jul 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jennie says thanks! :)

2. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    We need at least another 25 pictures! You never can have too many pictures! I'd have fun taking them too!

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Boardwalk has 25+ photos on link I posted later.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jennie's car is one featured in the video Jack did.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoqQN24rqb8[/ame]

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If anyone has a true interest with this car, send me a PM and I can tell you what the dealer is authorized to drop down to. There have been offers, but we've been patient so far the first month.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Heads up Jennie and I have taken the car back from the dealer. They had it for almost 3 months and no action. As I found out it is difficult to consign a car with a dealer because all the used cars they own they can Ferrari Certify, but they can't do that for consigned cars. The dealer also undercut me all their owned cars they priced below ours. So between not being Ferrari Certified and priced higher than those cars, it was a difficult situation.

We have decided to hold on to the car, I think we've already eaten most of the depreciation and we do love the car. My goal 3 months ago was to get out before most of that depreciation, but too late. We'll still consider offers and trades, also helps we don't have to pay consignment fee, so can work with price more.

Dropped now to $205k. Still one of the nicest and lowest mile 2017 T HS out there.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So we have the car back in the garage. We've pretty much decided to keep the car, but I will still leave it out here to consider any trades or offers. These are still being listed dealers $210-230k, but they're all selling less than $210k. We can offer ours $199k since no commission any more. Send a message if questions. Thanks.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I told the sponsors, but forgot to add in here also interested in trades, on my short list...

1) Ferrari 612/550/575 6-speed

2) Murcielago 6-speed

3) McLaren MP4-12C

4) Porsche 991 Carrera S/Turbo S/GT3/RS

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    #2 on your list would be awesome!
    Did the Portofolio unvail impact the resale prices on the Cali that quick? Seems like a deal.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think they took a big hit even without it, but that added to it. The T's listed $210-230k are dreaming. I think there's some good floor support $190k in the next year, it might slip a little, but most of the hit already taken by first owners. Poor Jennie's bank acoount. :D

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    TRADED! Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale was awesome! They were the easiest to work with had me a trade offer within a day and offered much more than anyone else! I highly recommend working with the team there Hank, Ronnie, etc. I will have a more detailed thread about my experience buying a new Ferrari, working with the local dealer, and then trading it out. Many lessons learned and insights to the process, it is slimy, but I guess that doesn't surprise anyone the Ferrari game and used cars. :D

uhn2000 likes this.
  12. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami

Congrats on the trade.
    Regarding "the process" it doesn't have to be that way. Ferrari dealers try to get away with as much BS as they can and ultimately it's the buyers that empower them to do it.
    Ferrari is the only business model I know of that works that way.

uhn2000 likes this.
  13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Whaaat? You've traded for another car but dont tell us what you got,
    I bet its a 550
    congrats

14. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Hey Rob,

Not sure if you're willing to share this information, but do you know how much purchasing the California T helped your "allocation game" with the dealership?

Is there a reason you went with a new California over a used 458 or F12?

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm going to write an entire thread/article about my experience. The short answer is not really. Part of it I'm just able to use Boardwalk as don't have a residence any other region. Out of every dealership in United States unfortunately Boardwalk would probably do the least amount for me except for their awesome service department (SAFE4NOW). I don't know why they hate me so much, might go back to when I was FCA DFW president and they took the FCA DFW Car Show out from me or maybe petty conflicts I had with Nathan on FerrariChat or maybe my outspoken disdain for Scott Tucker. I have bought 2 cars from that dealership before 2016 and last year bought the 2013 Cali immediately ordering a new 2017 Cali T and promising them the trade. They gave us fair trade value on the 2013 and we received the 2017 in February, all was good then. It then went downhill when time to trade the 2017 they offered low value and only wanted me to take a new FF/Lusso type car. They also couldn't tell me exactly when I could hit on the 812, but sounded to me like 3+ years if at all. I brought them several trade deals, but they don't want to work with any other dealer and they didn't want to do some trades for cars they had in inventory because they were consignments (how does that make consignment people feel?). I found that after I agreed to let them consign the car. I was the first 2017 Cali T they had. Then all of a sudden there were two more and they undercut my price $5k and they were Ferrari Approved. I asked them how to get Ferrari Approved and they can only do that for owned cars, they won't do that for consigned cars. Yes the Cali T market was soft plus the new model was announced, but I went from bad to worse situation competing against two dealer owned cars less price and Ferrari Approved. When you then agree to lower asking and sales price, the contract resets the "exclusive" time period they have. To give Brian Benjamin credit we talked on phone after 10 weeks no offers and he let me pull the car although still a couple weeks left in exclusive period. FYI I told Brian in person everything I said above and he was nice about it, but had no explanations or apologizes, he basically could only leave it at "that's the way it is" with the Ferrari game. The happy ending to the story I called one of the best Ferrari salesman in the country and FerrariChat user Hank Carpenter at Ft. Lauderdale. Within 12 hours he gave me trade value on the Cali T $18k higher than any other dealer (Boardwalk wouldn't even do offer at that point as they didn't want car) and said go pick any of our 497 cars in inventory for trade (no limitations!). Best and easiest dealer transaction I've ever had. Cali T left home this morning and should have the traded car within couple days. Now I see why Hank and Ft. Lauderdale have such positive reviews on FerrariChat.

I think the "allocation game" is still OK for some, but the problem is in reality it is only for 5% of Ferrari dealer customers, when the "marketing" of it makes people believe it is for 50%. For one I don't think new Ferrari allocations are as hard to get as "marketed". The hard to get allocations are the first 1 or 2 of any common model, maybe first 5 of 2-seat 12's, and then all the special editions. Most of those cars already taken, so people are playing the game for end of year 1 or year 2 allocations when it just doesn't make cents. For example you can already buy 488's at MSRP on open market. Was playing the game really worth it? I was offered a dealer 812 #2 car (not Boardwalk!) for $20k over MSRP, that is in comparison to figuring with Boardwalk I would lose $150k to maybe get a year 2 or 3 year allocation. Also if you play the game for a special edition you have to keep your numbers tight, if I was out $150k for a 812, think how much someone would be out for a special edition? Then at that point you get the car how much profit can you clear and then never be able to do something with dealer again or sell it back to dealer at MSRP to get next allocation and still be out your sunk costs? If you are 5% then the game is worth it! I told Brian I hope to someday be back and in that situation. I'm going to buy a warehouse for 8 cars by dealership and put $2,500,000 into account giving them power of attorney and all rights. They just buy, sell, trade, store whatever frickn cars they want and I'll go play around Corse Clienti and Challenge too.

yes, I wanted to see the game first hand myself. I'm not interested in a 458 at this moment, but am interested in used F12's. I think they have a little more to go down especially with 812 coming out. I bet we'll see 812's at MSRP within 1 year too. The 2-seat 12's start off a higher premium, but they also have the most abrupt and biggest swing down on backend.

uhn2000, iloveferrari, nickmb and 2 others like this.
  16. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I’m pretty sure that if you want to be on “the list,” you’ve got to be buying cars (plural). The guys I see getting early deliveries of new models are buying more than one new car a year in all model ranges. I’m guessing I could go down to Ferrari of Newport Beach today, buy a new Cali T and a 488, and still wouldn’t be able to get an 812 for a over a year. I don’t like it, but it is what it is...supply vs. demand.

Robtheheat and anunakki like this.
  17. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Man what a racket this dealer game is. Makes me happy to be a lowly bottom feeder playing with the Ferrari's the dealer does not care about any more :D

Looking forward to seeing what the new trade is although I have a pretty good idea it is British and has funky doors. Must have been fun being able to choose from 497 cars.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's true to get a first year 812. they would like you get 12's too in order to be on list for 812 (FF & F12). that's why I estimated your out of pocket loss on cars would be about $150k to get a 812 maybe even not the first year. How much will they sell over MSRP the first year? I was offered a dealer #2 car for $20k over.

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Better to buy slightly over MSRP, I concur.

(ps - aren't we violating the rules for classifieds by having this discussion here?)

20. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Not when it's with the HMFIC! :)

HardTen and dustman like this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed