2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 24 | FerrariChat

2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Check the video of Villeneuve vs Arnoux in Dijon, 1979.

Classic battle, and lots of wheel bumping.

But that was "gentleman racing", not road rage. ;)

2. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    This incident will be handled by the British press exactly as the one with the hat and Rosberg.
    Back then you only saw Rosberg throwing "back" the hat but not what Lewis did before...Here you will most likely only see Seb playing bumper car but never what made him that angry.
    It will be another proof that you can tell exactly the story you want with Video and Photos...you do not even have to fake something, you only have to be creative by cutting or choosing the angle.

3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    #578 Tackleberry, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Or Hungary 2007, all instigated by Lewis dishonouring team orders.

Funny how 3 instances all involve one and the same person, eh?

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Never admit fault. #Lawyerspeak

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Lol

7. 'Been there...done that...but it was just a racing incident, not intentional, so it worked out fine 'twixt us. ;)

8. Very good!!! :)

9. I remember well. See my sig. below.

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end...."

lorenzobandini

10. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Details, details.

Gentleman racing, road rage, rugby, street scuffles, what have you, it's all the same thing.

BTW, I heard SV is dating Merkel and she's giving him some pointers in european diplomacy.

11. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Check out the Black Flag song, Loose Nut, on youtube.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Seb was lucky that Hamilton had the headrest problem. I expected a 10-second penalty, but even though the incident took place at safety-car speed, I think a 30-second penalty might have been more appropriate.

Is there any chance the FIA could give Seb an additional penalty (like a grid-spot penalty) for the next race?

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    nope

14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I don't know if you guys have heard this but it is classic Kimi. Video of him wanting his

steering wheel during the red flag intermission.....ROTFL!!!

https://streamable.com/3857v

15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I don't know if you guys have heard this but it is classic Kimi. Video of him wanting his

steering wheel during the red flag intermission.....ROTFL!!!

16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    sorry about doubling ^^^ up but I'm in Houston airport headed to D.C. and the WI-FI hear is somewhat dodgey.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #592 Bas, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson

Exactly.

19. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    The safety car was barely in sight when Hamilton slowed so abrubtly. And right after a curve.

Still you cannot ram another driver. Foolish. Be interesting if this costs him the championship.

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I posted it yesterday but it's ****ing funny, worth a repost :D

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mercedes said at time of slowing down it was 150 meters difference, so around 30 car lengths.

22. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Sir Jackie making himself look irrelevant again...

The FIA published a separate explanation of why Hamilton wasn't penalized for that safety car restart process, and they explained that restart #2 (with the Seb incident) was managed by Hamilton EXACTLY the same as restart #1, he slowed the same both times in Turn 15 to allow the gap to the safety car. Mercedes actually warned Hamilton that he cut it too close (didn't leave enough gap to the SC) in restart #1, but Hamilton disagreed.

The problem with Baku is that the rule when under a safety car requires the leading driver to maintain a gap to the SC of under 10 seconds until a certain point on the restart lap, at which point the lead driver has to control the gap so that the cars will not pass the safety car before the SC line. Because the main straight at Baku is so long, the gap to the SC has to be much greater than at other tracks, so the leader has to create that bigger gap in a short period - requiring that leader to slow down significantly for a period.

In other words, not Hamilton's fault, and he didn't actually brake check Seb on that lap compared to each of the other restarts.

23. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Exactly, Vettel knew that Lewis was going to have a problem with his headrest which would then put him in the lead.;)

More realistically, given how fragile these cars seem to be at times, it was a stupid move that could have knocked him (Seb) out of the race. Further Seb should have considered that a penalty would remove him from any battle at the front.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Read what he says again. He says he's never seen anyone come of the throttle that quickly.

If it was his intention to leave enough room to the SC, he shouldn't have gone near the throttle in the first place, just keep on rolling then nail it.

On one hand we have FIA saying that Lewis didn't brake check, but on the other they say Lewis braked on the same spot (so acceleration zone) in the previous SC. The latter, and the video evidence, leads me to believe that he did in fact brake, just on both restarts. Saying he did it on both restarts doesn't make it right.

Elton is not as innocent as he makes himself out to be...again.

25. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Thank you :)

So the FIA claims that Hamilton was not in violation, because :

1. He did the same thing previously :rolleyes: (i'll try that on the street next time i'm pulled over for speeding)
    2. He didn't lift ... ENTIRELY

So this is, now, the interpretation of the "no erratic acceleration or braking nor any other maneuver which is likely to endanger other drivers" rule? You can abruptly slow-down in an acceleration zone, as long as you keep 1% throttle?

Are you allowed to STEER as erratically as you like, as long as you don't go FULL LOCK on the wheel? Or is that only OK, if you did it once before? Or is it only OK, if you did it once before ... and your first name is "Lewis"?