2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 25 | FerrariChat

2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Now that was worth the entire race! I guess Kimi was panicking because he thought he might have to drive the remainder of the race like Nuvolari—without a steering wheel!

2. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    I haven't seen anything official, but maybe.....

From Sky Sports:

So may Vettel not yet be off the hook?

The FIA has the scope to hand down further punishment should they determine the initial ruling not sufficient.

Any actions deemed to have brought the sport into disrepute can be dealt with under Article 151c of the International Sporting Code, and this provides an almost limitless range of punishment.

3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Jackie does not like Hamilton...doesn't like his attitude and refers to him as "the little ballerina".

It was clear that Hamilton was making moves to disrupt the cars behind him on the restart. Because the straight is so long, you don't want to have another car get a clean run out and able to draft for the pass. So, yes, his motions were intentionally herky-jerky...nobody (maybe Stroll) is going to take off from that position with everyone having a clean look at drafting into T1. From that end, Hamilton (imo) did intend to bunch the field up by lifting and then just take off. SV was already ready to take off after him and we see what happened. With this track configuration, that was foreseeable on a restart.

What happened next went over the line. Seb needs to learn to keep his red mist in check. He loses it too often over the past couple of years.

4. Denman_Honda

Denman_Honda Karting

Sep 3, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Denman
    I know guessing at motive is speculative, but I do think Seb was so close to LH because of the prior restart. Seb lost contact with LH and was actually getting pressured badly from behind (FI iirc?). I bet he was super anxious for that second restart and got tunnel vision with that Merc gearbox.

Can't blame him for wanting to be close. I was p.o.'ed when he fumbled the first restart.

5. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Assault? LOL. The outrage over this is pretty funny, but it is exacerbated by the fact that Vettel actually gained ground on Hamilton int he WDC standings in this race despite the penalty. The British fans/press are crazy butthurt over this.

Was Vettel wrong? Yes. Was it stupid? YES. I do find irony in the fact that Hamilton was complaining about how "dangerous" it was for the safety car to be going to slowly then when the ball is in his court he's going 40 kph just so he can jump the field. Hilarious.

6. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    See :43 ....looks pretty damn obvious to me that Hamilton braked hard after coming around the corner.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baWod-0Pui0[/ame]

7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So he is not allowed to tell his opinion on that???

8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #608 Terra, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    So doing 60km/h at the apex and slowing down to 48km/h on exit just after the beginning of the straight, and then very quickly slightly accelerating up to 55km/h (i.e. which was Hamilton's speed the one-and-only time his in-car braking broadcast graphic appears on the straight, and ALSO seems to be the EXACT MOMENT Seb hip-checked Lewis), constitutes "abruptly slowing down?"

https://my.mixtape.moe/slropm.mp4

9. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Apparently, no ... as long as you don't lift "ENTIRELY", the speed change itself is irrelevant :rolleyes:

According to the FIA (now) ... "erratic behavior" requires FULL lift, FULL steering lock, etc (well, providing you did the same thing once before on a re-start, anyway ... and providing your name is Lewis)

:)

10. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    #610 lagunacc, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  11. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    To be fair both Vettel and Hamilton act like spoiled children at times, Seb was silly with his response but Hamilton is hardly a role model when it comes to F1 standards.

12. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    An incident with Hamilton and the word "disgraced" in the same sentence and for once it is not about Lewis...must be a first ;)
    But I am curious how this will go on in the British "press"...as every one has to put one on top I guess we are talking about "attempted murdering" in a few days :D

13. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Exactly...so it would have been in his own interest to simply keep his mouth shut after the race and for once the sympathies would have been on his side...but he had educate the world how a multiple WDC should behave and made a complete fool out of himself by doing so ;)

14. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Lewis Hamilton is branding Vettel a disgrace to the the sport and to himself after this 25mph bump, and let's be totally honest, Seb has let himself down with his stupid reaction in the race!

So now I'm curious as to Hamilton's opinion of his beloved Ayrton Senna and his pre-meditated attack on Alain Prost at Suzuka in 1990, when he deliberately rammed Prost off the track at a much higher speed, and in a much more dangerous manner, in order to win the WDC that year.

How can he say that he now has no respect for Vettel, and yet profess a love for a driver who deliberately smashed a rival off the track? :confused:

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Both men walked away with something this weekend.

Vettel increased his lead in the championship by finishing in front of Lewis. But how many championship points did Vettel pay in penalty for losing his temper and thus not winning the race overall like he should have?

Lewis moved to second on the all-time F1 pole position list so not a bad weekend for him.

16. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    So Hamilton goes around a blind turn and deliberately gets off the gas knowing full well that Seb is right behind him, coming around the corner... to me that was a deliberate move to unbalance Seb. As far as ramming, if I were Seb I would have simply said when he pulled up next to him, the wheel slipped out his hand as he waved. Ham was looking to cause drama as he usually does, and then down plays it like he's the superior sportsman. He showed his true colors telling the team to have Bottas jeopardize his own position.

17. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    LOL

18. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +1

19. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Well deserved, good on vettel for showing he won't put up with hamy's bs. I'm in full support of vettels actions against hambones idiot move.

20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #44 fans. can't. compute. smoke. coming. from. ears. shutting. down.
    Eeeeeeehhhhh

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 except I think that Seb should have acknowledged hitting Lewis. I can understand his rage but his reaction cost him a win. What about Bottas and Kimi, no foul?

22. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That was a chicken *** move on Elton's part. SV handled it far better than I would have.

23. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Yup and it's important elton learns his boundaries with vettle. Will be helpful later in the season for vet, when elton second guess's himself/antics.

Well played, Vettle, well played

24. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Daniel Riccardo's thoughts on the Vettel/Hamilton incident in talking to the BBC: Sebastian Vettel-Lewis Hamilton Debacle: Who's Right, Who's Wrong

On Vettel: “Seb probably sometimes doesn’t think before he acts. It’s probably driven through passion and hunger. He’s kind of just got to put a lid on it sometimes. I respect Seb a lot for his grit and his love for the sport, which turns into a lot of passion and sometimes aggression. I respect and like that about him. ”

“But today you have seen — whether it’s over the radio, sometimes he will just go crazy. It is probably — what’s the word? — spur of the moment? There’s a better word.”

On Hamilton: “Look, whether Lewis slowed down or not, he has every right to dictate the pace. He’s the leader, and it was too early for him to accelerate. You’re not going to make the restart out of Turn 15. Seb was probably just a little bit over-excited.”