2017 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX: RACE DAY *** SPOILERS *** | Page 9 | FerrariChat

2017 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX: RACE DAY *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I overslept so I missed the start, I turned on the race at about 35 laps in. When I saw who was leading I knew Ferrari was done, at least we got a podium, until next season.

Forza Ferrari 2018

stavura likes this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I fully understand the situation that has prompted his new contract for next year. Im also not at all blind to his actual place in F1. He has alot of hype but the numbers are not there and he was fired. He was also beaten by Massa and would have been 2 out of 3 years had Felipe not been injured. Massa was ahead of him already in Budapest up to that point. FA put a spotlight on Kimi and his capability when he again joined Ferrari. He has minor impact to me.

3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    F1 now has the logo it deserves.

WJHMH and lagunacc like this.
  4. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Anyone else having trouble finding the replay on NBCSports app or their website? It was there and then it was gone right as I sat down to watch it.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Thank heavens this season is over. What a year to forget.

It's nice to see Lance Stroll do so well in bringing up last place. :)

WJHMH and DF1 like this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Solid 8.5 no?

;)

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    After this performance the guys at NBC upgraded him to a 9! :)

DF1, Bas and daytona355 like this.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sorry to see Hobbs go. The other two guys -- time to go on a diet! :)

375+ likes this.
  9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Great week, great race venue, and great to meet fchatter Subirg at the circuit today. This was my favorite race venue yet.

DF1 and Bas like this.
  10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J

Psssst....... Kimi didn't really say it! ;)

I suspect though that the comment I posted is exactly how he feels about Ricciardo's opinion.

By the same token, I suspect it's also his attitude to people who have anything negative about him - He genuinely doesn't give a s#!% ;)

11. DF1

He cares to the point he avoids the press. Kimi is classic it bothers him so much he avoids talking about it because he does care and deeply. He knows exactly how little he matters now. The record of his negative performance is well known and hard to miss. He is a waste of a seat. Negative press is part of real life for any driver. He is not special.

12. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    First race I’ve missed in quite a while. Knew it was on but couldn’t watch, similar to NASCAR. Doesn’t read I missed much judging from the comments. Dirt track cages next year will keep me away in 2018, hope Liberty listens to the fans throughout the season. We’ll see in 2019, but I do know I’ve had all I can take until a 26 car field returns with pre-qualifying, closer racing and prettier cars.

13. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    That says a lot.

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Is the entire NBC crew on The Stroll Dole? What fawning BS, any respect I had for Matchett is gone with that comment.

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Race was boring! and NBC all the talk after commercial about the dicing going on? we missed it!
    NBC has to be the worst ever, glad there gone!

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    NBC's love affair with McLaren also ends -- thankfully

"Zak Brown-- is it fantastic to see your car challenging for 11th place!"

17. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Another exciting F1 Race - not!!!

daytona355 likes this.
  18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Had a great steak with a baked potato,complete with Bacon Bits n sour cream etc:D,plus a few adult beverages,then settled down on the sofa with my babes for the 'race' .

I can vaguely remember the start,and Stroll having a bit of a dust up with Grosjean,i woke up 2 laps from the end.Then fell asleep again watching Bottas on the podium looking kinda fed up as usual.Did i miss anything?

This is the first time in 40+ yrs i fell asleep during a race...they need a bit more than the new logo for 2018.:rolleyes:

Jeronimo GTO, stavura and daytona355 like this.
  19. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
  20. DF1

21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    NEP likes this.
  22. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

NOVEMBER 27, 2017

Drivers not keen on new F1 logo

Top F1 drivers have reacted coolly to the unveiling of the sport's new logo.

Although the full F1 rebranding won't be launched until the start of next season, the world got a peek at the new logo on the podium of the 2017 finale in Abu Dhabi.

"We wanted to present it now in order to help our partners look into how they will use it," F1 commercial boss Sean Bratches is quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport.

But Sebastian Vettel, referring to the iconic 'flying 1' logo that was introduced in the Bernie Ecclestone era in 1993, said: "I liked the old one better."

Liberty Media's new F1 trademark is a stylised F and 1, similar to the red Espn logo.

"It feels like the new owners want to prove themselves by abandoning what was done before," Igor Yermilin, a Russian motor racing official, told Sportbox.

"But the new logo is incomprehensible, uninteresting, cheap and primitive," he argued.

Abu Dhabi winner Valtteri Bottas added: "What was wrong with the old one?"

And world champion Lewis Hamilton said: "I think the one we had already was iconic. Just imagine Ferrari or Mercedes changing their logos."

F1 commercial boss Sean Bratches explains: "Many people never realised that there was an invisible 1 between the F and the 1 in the old logo. The new logo is clearer.

"It was also difficult to embroider the impression of speed in the old logo on shirts, etc.

"In the digital era, big brands like Starbucks and Coca-Cola have simplified their logos for clarity, and that's the case for us as well."

As for the criticism, Bratches said: "Every time a brand is changed, and especially a brand that arouses so much passion, you have to expect these reactions.

"It's normal that people do not like change, but I think that's good because it shows that people care about the brand," he added.

FIA president Jean Todt said the sport's governing body approves of the new logo.

"It's up to the rights holders to introduce a new logo if they want to," he said in Abu Dhabi.

"People should be positive about change. The people at Liberty are very talented and have proven their qualities in other sports. I trust their judgement."

23. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Well done Kimi.

No wins, yet still took 4th place.

24. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

NOVEMBER 27, 2017

Tilke defends Abu Dhabi layout after dull finale

Hermann Tilke has defended the Abu Dhabi layout after a processional 2017 finale.

Red Bull's Dr Helmut Marko said after Sunday's race: "It was one of the worst races I can remember.

"Hamilton was probably faster than Bottas and Max was faster than Raikkonen, but as soon as they got close they could not follow anymore.

"We have to think about the layout of the tracks," he is quoted by Germany's Sport1.

Also to blame are the faster cars of 2017 featuring more downforce, but world champion Lewis Hamilton agreed: "I think they've got to change this track."

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff agrees: "The race was not very spectacular.

"The championship is over and that plays a role, but with the new regulations, these cars are incredibly difficult to overtake."

When faced with the criticisms, track designer Tilke said adopting Marko and Hamilton's suggestions and changing the track "would not have changed anything".

"In this race, the faster cars were ahead of the slower ones so there is no overtaking. But that's certainly not the fault of the track."

However, he said he is open to talking about how Abu Dhabi might be tweaked so that overtaking is easier.

"We will certainly discuss this further," he said.

"I already have a small idea about changing one corner that will probably have a big effect."

25. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Not according to my research... :)