2018/2019 Silly season | Page 12 | FerrariChat

2018/2019 Silly season

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Mar 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    just some bits of info:

[Autobild] Günther Steiner (Haas) about Spec 3: "The engine is again a real step forward."

[Autobild] Vettel: "We still have lots of things in the pipeline. I can only blame myself for the point deficit."

Before the summer break for 2018

Ferrari still has "a lot to unleash" with 2018 car - Vettel

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/v...leash/3153028/

and

Toto Wolff wants SPEC 3 to be better then Ferrari (could be delayed for SPA) + had meetings with Charlie about rules governing engine power.

So Mercedes Spec 3 engine + Toto and Charlie about engine power = [Charlie] "Sure, Toto just for you!" "Ferrari won't know what him em!" :D

stavura, DF1, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm willing to bet that the lithium they go through on both the engines in use and on the test beds in the factory is far more damaging to the planet than a bit of extra fuel will ever be. ;)

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    See this is why I HATE Mercedes. They've had a significant power advantage since 2014, until about Canada. Now that they've been matched, suddenly they want a rule that limits engine power? And the FIA entertain this.

For years, teams and fans have complained about trying to fix this significant issue. It was a no go. Watch mercedes' wish being granted. Pathetic.

ago car nut and stavura like this.
  4. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    OMG...

Another issue is becoming a Mercedes conspiracy theory. This might come as a surprise, but RENAULT asked for an engine freeze...BACK IN MARCH! The FIA has been ‘considering’ it since then...

Let’s beat them on the track instead of twisting facts to make excuses.

william likes this.
  5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Yes, I've always admired the Hulk's abilities behind the wheel. It should be a strong team.

stavura, 375+ and DF1 like this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Idon't hate Mercedes; they are role models in F1.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  7. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    One has nothing to do with the other. Why do the actions of Renault have anything to do with Mercedes? And did Mercedes call for a freeze back then or was it only after Ferrari had the better pu? And I suppose Mercedes called for investigations of Renault and Honda's engine and associated parts too, because they just do it as a matter of course and It isn't targeted at Ferrari at all. And Mercedes only subtly accuses others of cheating for the good of the sport.

Bas likes this.
  8. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Mercedes gets concessions and Ferrari money to keep them in F1. Mercedes pr obviously only works when they win titles and Ferrari has enough to show as long as the are the oldest and longest serving team in F1 with a lot of heritage. They have bluffed too often that they might leave and nobody believes them anymore. Maybe the new management is their last chance to turn that around when they are able to convince FIA and liberty that they do not necessarily need F1 in their future plans for the company....

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

375+ likes this.
  9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Time for Ferrari to do an Enzo and get serious about another series. Remember when he built an IndyCar? Today, all we get are thin threats with no susbatnace. No one believes Ferrari will really leave.

william likes this.
  10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yes! Completely agree. Well said! Ferrari will do well in or out of F1. This is the truth

william likes this.
  11. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    True but they're finally in the hunt with a solid chance at a WDC/WCC, now's not the time to pull out or make veiled threats. Its time to double down and push like crazy, work harder than ever and clinch the titles. They can do it, they just need to pull their strategists heads outta their collective you know what's and get it done. Suck watching them blow it time and time again when its in the bag.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

OK, but what series do you have in mind? Indy is out now: it's a specs series.

Create another world series outside F1 ? Ferrari would have to convince a lot of people to follow them down that path.

I think Marchionne's outburst was an empty threat.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Red Bull would follow. Ferrari heritage + Red Bull marketing, offer teams an NFL business model where teams control the sport. It's not that hard to dream up a set of rules for the sport that's hugely entertaining for fans, makes sense cost-wise yet still be the (joint) fastest car around a track. Force India, Williams, (Mclaren soon) are all on their arse. Sauber would follow the Ferrari money.

I expect strong teams such as ART, DAMS and Prema to be interested and in a legitimate position to raise the money needed to join the ''GP1'' table.

Tell me what the fans would watch? The best drivers racing as pure as sensibly possible at high speed, possibility of overtakes and so on, presumably a very entertaining engine formula....or an absolute nerd fest where cars are more than likely to play follow the leader? Right now F1 fans don't have an alternative. If there was one, and it's as described....I'd go watch that much rather than whatever F1 is these days. I want to be entertained.

Terra likes this.
  14. DF1

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't think he's afraid of Sainz. No reason for it either....Easily beat him in 2015. Just about the only times Sainz beat him in races was when Max had an issue during the race or took a big grid penalty for engine reasons. I think on pure pace Sainz has beat him once.

Sainz got quite vocal about his dislike of Verstappen when Max's popularity soared. Why bring that same environment to Red Bull?

375+ likes this.
  17. DF1

Look's like a Red Bull problem lol :)

Bas likes this.
  18. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I agree. Indy is a waste of time, but WEC looks quite interesting especially as they have opened it up to Hypercars and got rid of the stupid expensive LMP1 Hybrid formula... Perfect fit for Ferrari's halo hyper car models.

19. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
  20. DF1

More great news for half the grid LOL :) - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137924/teams-income-drops-23m-as-f1-revenue-falls

The Formula One Group's revenue fell in the second quarter of 2018 compared to the previous year, meaning all 10 teams' income will again drop as a result.

Overall revenue for the group fell 5% in April-June compared with the same period last year, from $616million to $588m.

The slice of the pie shared by the 10 teams fell 7% from $330m to $307m, meaning they earned $23m less between them during the quarter.

F1's operating income was also down 69% from $45m to $14m.

There was no change in the number of races held in the quarter, with both 2017 and '18 featuring seven grands prix, but Liberty said one reason for the revenue fall is that last year the quarter's broadcasting fees represented a 7/20 share of the annual total, while this year, with an extra race, it is one third.

In addition last year the second quarter included one extra flyaway race, Russia, and such events are typically more lucrative than races travelled to by road. However, that was "partially offset by fee inflation in underlying contracts".

Liberty said income was boosted by a change in the way revenues from official partners and suppliers is recorded.

It noted that: "These fee elements were previously recognised pro-rata with the race calendar, but the majority are now being recognised evenly over the calendar year, and others over a smaller number of specific events.

"This change provided a modest tailwind to advertising and sponsorship revenue in the second quarter of 2018 but will be neutral on a full calendar year basis."

21. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Meanwhile Mercedes is working on their 2019 race strategy :D
    [​IMG]

stavura, 444sp, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  22. DF1

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL :)

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    william likes this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Endurance isn't substitute for GP, IMO.
    WEC and WDC/WCC are 2 different environments
    Beside, people seem to want open-wheels and open-cockpit single seater.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I will believe all that when I see it, not before.
    I deal in reality, not in fantasy.

I know you would like a Ferrari-led "back to basics" pirate formula with V12 atmo engines to show the FIA it got it all wrong with hybrid cars.
    I bet that's never going to happen for plenty of reason already discused here.
    The world tends to go forwards and not backwards; it's as simple as that!

Even Ferrari is going hybrid with its road cars, and they are even studying electric full electric power; it's that or face extinction.
    The "fans" don't dictate F1; it has to serve other interests too, like sponsors, constructors, and be a technical challenge, as well as a drivers' competition.

We may as well kill F1 altogether and run the WDC to F2 rules; it has already been done in the past (1952/1953).
    That would keep you entertained enough maybe?