2018/2019 Silly season | Page 6 | FerrariChat

2018/2019 Silly season

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Mar 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes. Nice one. Although Daniel Ricciardo has said time and again that his decision will be taken on one consideration only: the competitiveness of the car.
    So, betting on McLaren might be even more audacious than betting on Honda...

Rgds

Igor Ound, tomc and william like this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's a hell of a gamble, which ever way.
    At McLaren-Renault, the chassis is far from being top notch.
    At Red Bull-Honda, the engine is still unknown quantity.

But at McLaren, Ricciardo would be Number One, probably, and it would be up to him to motivate the team to work for him to develop a winning car. We know about the engine; it can win (from time to time).

At Red Bull, Max is the preferred choice, and in spite of a very good chassis (the best), adopting the Honda unit is a bit of a step backwards, for the moment.

But what happened to the Ferrari and Mercedes opportunities the journos speculated on?

3. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    How much were McLaren paying Alonso? Ricciardo should be offended.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I heard in the region of $30M, when Honda was still on board.

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I understand, from what I read in "Motorsport Magazine" under the pen of Mark Hughes, that Ferrari and Ricciardo have signed an option that expires on June 30th, and it seems (seems...) that the option is at Ferrari's free initiative: they are supposed to be paying him some money during the period of time between the signing and the option's expiration, this for him not to sign anywhere else. If Ferrari doesn't "close the option" by offering him a firm contract before June 30th, then he will be "his own free man" after that date.
    Rgds

william and 375+ like this.
  6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    They are suggesting Ricciardo has a Renault offer too and McLaren are looking at Sainz if he says no

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I believe that Red Bull has an option on Sainz and can recall him if needed.

9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I predict:
    Leclerc will replace Raikkonen at Ferrari (I don't think they will keep Raikkonen and I think they will decide Ricciardo might destabilize the team whereas Leclerc is looking good at Sauber and could be the man to lead the team in the future).

Bottas is doing just enough to stay at Mercedes alongside Hamilton

Ricciardo will stay at Red Bull as will Newey. I can't see Newey deciding that Renault would be a good change for him although if he did then I could see Ricciardo going there too.

I expect Alonso will stop F1 as I don't think he really has faith in McLaren doing very much better next year than this and I can't see any other options for him although, and I haven't see it suggested anywhere, I wouldn't be totally shocked if he ended up at Renault for a last fling. Having said that, I don't think he wants to stop and that he would continue if he thought he could get himself a good enough car. I suppose that would leave McLaren with Vandoorne and Norris which doesn't seem like a very McLaren-ish combination whereas Ricciardo / Norris (established star plus rookie) much more clearly fits with where McLaren see themselves - but I don't see Ricciardo going there and who else is available (and willing)?

Jonathan

375+ likes this.
  10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I could see Alonso taking one last shot, Renault might be the only possibility. He will need to take a significant pay cut and perhaps would race on a bonus system for points scored. It worked for Nelson Piquet, Sr. in his last season.

11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

20mil per season is a nice package when you have no titles. I think I could get a place in Monaco for that and still eat out on occasion :)

NEP likes this.
  12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ricciardo says moving to a team like McLaren or Renault and building it around him Hamilton/Mercedes-style has "some appeal" for his F1 future.

william likes this.
  13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Carlos Goshn, Renault's CEO, seems to have ruled that out a few days ago. He said that Renault's aim is to come back to the top in 2020 on a "controled budget", which means no silly expenses to hire a big star driver.
    Rgds

william likes this.
  14. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Or in other words, "I've got all those other options so Red Bull need to pay more to keep me".

Maybe. Or maybe it means "Alonso would be an option if we can agree on not too silly a fee for him".

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Goshn himself has one of the highest salaries in France, perhaps even the highest. Said to be in the region of 15 million Euros, not taking into account what he gets from Nissan. The State still has a 15% stake in the company, and the State representative at the board is said to choke each year when the remuneration is voted. So his remark about a "controled budget" should be taken with a pinch of salt..
    Perhaps he should give some to Fernando?
    Rgds

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In some teams, the drivers retainers are not part of the operating budget account, but are from another account.
    What drivers get is often influenced by the sponsors. The negotiations are between the 3 parties team-sponsors-drivers.
    In other teams, the sponsors have a say in who gets recruited to drive.
    Sometime the main sponsor can decide one driver, as part of its contract with the team.
    The drivers' market is very complex.

17. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    According to motorsport, Leclerc is the favorite for the second Ferrari seat next year.

18. DF1

Ferrari are report to not want Ricci due to cost when considering Vettel's salary

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Maybe that the reason they put forward.

But I can see another: Vettel and Ricciardo used to be team mates at Red Bull, etc...

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

As understudy to Number One Vettel; that makes sense.

21. DF1

Sergio is financially driven. This reason has merit given the corporate structure Ferrari live under now.

22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Mclaren will not be anywhere as competitive and I don’t think he’ll be able to dominate Hulkenberg at Renault so don’t think the Mercedes analogy is too fitting

JStone414 and 375+ like this.
  23. DF1

He dominated Vettel. Hulk is not nearly as good either. Ricci would do well against Hulk. Hulk is no Ricci at all.

jmillard308 and william like this.
  24. DF1

Will Ferrari move LeClerc early and let him drive a Ferrari this year???

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Autosport has the story this morning, which means it is serious. The decision is not yet taken, but would be the prefered option. Leclerc would be hired starting in 2019, not before. Ricciardo with Vettel would be too much of salary expenses.
    Rgds