488 - 2018 488 Mystery Misfire | FerrariChat

488 2018 488 Mystery Misfire

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Builderbob, Sep 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Builderbob

Builderbob Rookie

May 14, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I have my 2018 488 (only owned it 2 months) in with the local dealer at the moment, stop&start failure + ECS failure. Misfiring and loss of power.

Was in a month ago for the same issues + catalyst not plausable or something? Which turned out to be coilpack/spark plug. Was misfiring and had low power output. Drove great for the last month.

This time though, despite the error codes, they cant figure out whats wrong with it! Anyone have any ideas or experience like this?

They're going back to Ferrari for assistance, but I just have a sinking feeling I wont be seeing it again this side of xmas.

2. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    coilpack and spark plugs is generally the cause here. In my 488, the spark plug tip was justttt broken at the ti[, and causing the same error codes. $15 part, but a nightmare to diagnose I guess.

3. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep, misfiring and loss of power is usually coil pack. The question is did they replace all of them or just one? In other cars I have always bitten the bullet and replaced all coil packs when one goes

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    We have one in with the exact same issue. We put plugs and coils in it..thinking it was a no brainer but no..it did not fix the issue. It's a tricky one because it comes and goes.

We have narrowed it down to the ion module (basicly this guy is responsible for spark control). This will be the first one we have seen. Speaking with the dealer..they have changed 3 in the last little while. Another 488 issue seems to be croping up..

5. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    I would identify what cylinder is miss firing and would swap this specific coil with the adjacent. If error does not appear on the latter, would swap plug as well with the same target.

When a coil is gone, it’s gone.

Anyway I would replace only the first one, but If a second knocks on the door again, replace all.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando FerrariChat

6. Builderbob

Builderbob Rookie

May 14, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Sorry for slow response but they seem to have fixed the issue, was just told it was a sensor in the end. I'm in the north as well so I'll laugh if its my car you were talking about, red with factory black roof and black rims?.

Althought that being said, I did take her out today, and got "system not programmed" which went away after turning her off and on again, but feels a bit juddery in low gears...so feels like something is brewing.

I also notice standing behind that one exhaust has a bit of a rougher sound than the other, but possibly reading too much into that.

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The engine should have no burbling sounds from the exhaust. Just a smooth even exhaust note. I fear you may find yourself back in the shop in short order. Be sure to have it fixed because a misfire can cause catalyst damage

8. Builderbob

Builderbob Rookie

May 14, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks for the response, its hard for me to say as a very new entry into the supercar owners world, if I heard either in isolation I wouldnt question it, its just one side sounds different than the other.

Will a light come on to warn me if this develops into a problem? Or do you need to be bringing these things in even if you only suspect an issue?

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It should turn on a light. Misfires are very closely monitored by the engine ECU. I'm curious to know what sensor they replaced.

10. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Are 488's equipped with what I believe was referred to as an ionization module. I know someone that had a similar problem with a Pista. After much back and forth, the ionization module solved the problem.

11. Builderbob

Builderbob Rookie

May 14, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I'll ask them and come back to you, I do know that about 2 weeks prior they replaced the coil packs and spark plugs, and that to diagnose this they had to send readings back to the factory in italy. I have in the back of my head somewhere something like a NOX or nitrates sensor? It was causing it to misfire almost identially to if a coilpack was gone.

I did just take it out again and other than running at 1500rpm in neutral for a minute or 2 when I first started it, it seemed fine.