2018 Engine Rule Change | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2018 Engine Rule Change

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Sep 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

Because the rules will not be written to please one or several constructors like the present ones with the token system and the limit on engine development, rumoured to have been "inspired" by Mercedes.

2. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

Many expressed hope of a return to a simpler atmospheric engine formula, if only on the ground of cost.

3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    yep. Brawn and many others have heavily criticized the grid penalties. they are terrible for fans and offer nothing to increase the quality of competition. so do we lighten or eliminate them?

hello no! this is F1 we're talking about. Let's make them tougher!

Lol what a clown show.

Bas likes this.
  4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I can dream haha

5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    NOVEMBER 7, 2017

Toro Rosso not worried about Honda switch

Franz Tost says he is looking forward to Toro Rosso's switch to works Honda power for 2018.

McLaren has dumped the Japanese engine manufacturer after a failed three-year collaboration, switching instead to the customer Renault deal enjoyed currently by Toro Rosso.

But Tost, the Toro Rosso team boss, says the Faenza based team is actually not enjoying its current situation with Renault.

"We can't have more problems anyway, because we are changing the power unit every weekend," said the Austrian.

Indeed, Tost claims Toro Rosso even went to great lengths to end the Renault contract, offering Carlos Sainz to the French carmaker as compensation.

"To terminate the contract we had to give something to Renault," he said.

"The compensation was Carlos and because of his speed, we are well aware that he is a big threat for us because he scored most of our points and on the other side, he is now with Renault."

But Toro Rosso is happy with its all-new and motivated driver lineup of sportscar champion Brendon Hartley and GP2 champion Pierre Gasly.

And Tost said he is not even worried about being stuck in neutral with McLaren's rejected engine partner Honda next year.

"They have another winter time where they will have the possibility to sort out the problems that they have currently," he said.

"As Toro Rosso, we are the only team that will be working together with them which I think will become a big advantage.

"All the meetings we have had so far are quite promising," Tost added.

"I'm more than convinced that this power unit will help Toro Rosso next year to become a very strong and competitive team."

6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Oh goodie, we have another V6 formula coming in 2021, and it will still be, "power units." Not a sport I'm interested in anymore.

Bas likes this.
  7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    They'll be showing us how putting the cars on little sleds that slot into grooves on the track will be safer soon, and fans will be able to use a fake scalectrix controller on their phones to control them all. The more selfies you can take, the higher the car is up the grid that you control, and the more likes you get during the race, the more 'super boosty turbo leccy ' power you have on the special loop de loop section.

FIA and Liberty will turn this into a bloody kids circus soon, and there's nothing anyone is doing to stop them

8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    They already have the Honda PU at Faenza,and working on matching it up with the chassis.

9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    They will need all the time they can get, but presumably with the Honda unit being, alledgedly, much smaller than the rest, I would hope they can come up with a reasonably good solution for balance, and we all know the toro Rosso chassis is pretty good, and they can call on the big brother team to help if they need it. Red bull themselves are likely having as much to do with it as they can too, because if they can get the Honda unit to work well, they can take over as works team and start winning again

10. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Poor TR. guaranteed tail end Charlie's, 2018.

Of course they will be optimistic following early conversations with the Japanese Honda team. This just shows how culturally unaware they are. Prepare for many TR tears in the near future, starting with the first pre season test in Feb.

11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I fear you will be right, but it would be a good thing to see the Honda start to work, if only to guarantee they don’t pull the plug on their efforts before they get any decent results for it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

subirg likes this.
  12. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Last time Honda pulled the plug, they won the world championship renamed as Brawn... They aren't lucky in this sport and have Alonso-esque timing skills.

vinuneuro and daytona355 like this.
  13. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    But needed a Mercedes engine to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    True. And Brawn had hardly any time to engineer the swap from Honda to Merc power. See the similarities? :)

15. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Totally, it would be fun wouldn't it if toro rosso suddenly jumped up to challenge.... one thing they are missing though - Ross Brawn...... priceless

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  16. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    NOVEMBER 15, 2017

New rules to make F1 like driving a bus says Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton says next year's cars will be like driving "a bus".

The quadruple world champion is referring to the rule change from four engines per driver to just three next year, and the mandatory addition of heavy 'Halo' devices.

Already, Hamilton's Mercedes boss Niki Lauda told La Gazzetta dello Sport this week that Halo is akin to "protecting the drivers as though they are babies".

And Hamilton said he is ruing the rule change that will require drivers to be even more careful with engine mileage in 2018.

"It will definitely be worse," he is quoted as saying by Tuttosport. "We will be forced to drive like endurance drivers.

"Already we have all of this fuel, then with the arrival of Halo it will be like driving a bus.

"The cars will be as heavy as a Nascar, the braking distances will be longer, it's certainly not what we want as drivers. That's not how to make the most of our potential," Hamilton added.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Fully agree with Elton.

What more does the FIA need? Fans hate it, drivers hate it, their most prestigious team hates it...basically everyone hates it except 2 huge manufacturers...It really is time to let the sport be entertaining again.

18. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Limiting how many engines you can do limits R&D opportunity.

With open engines, new parts every race.

With three engines, well....

The problem is like the banning of testing, the top teams will spend mega on virtualization programmers and operators. The budget gap remains.

Bas likes this.
  19. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Would like to see Honda be competitive for a change! New rules suck big time. WTF are FIA thinking>

Bas likes this.
  20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What do they do if, in some race, everyone has to start at the back of the grid ?!?

21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Imagine where Honda would be without banned testing??? They certainly have the cash to burn.

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The manufacturing of these engines is incredibly expensive.....but I think with more open development there would be much smaller gap between engines and cost would be the same if not less. With more open development, but say max fuel at current levels (the 105KG) there'd be more ways to get competitive power out of the engine instead of being limited everywhere.

Back near the end of the V10 era an engine would cost around £180-250K for the entire unit. Development was allowed back then, 4 more cylinders etc...I have some ideas for what I think would be a cheaper and more entertaining way than whatever **** they got going now.

1) 3.5 -4 liter V10/12 NA direct injection, rev limit to say 17500 rpm.
    2) 3.5-4 liter V10/12 NA Direct Injection, rev limit free but a good old fashioned intake restrictor. It would always be in the best interest of a team to make an engine use less fuel, the less weight you carry the faster you go.

Restrict certain materials, have a reasonable way of dealing with testing new parts...Lets say for a season you can introduce 4 different spec engines. You can test them at free will in any practice session but use either in quali or race, that counts towards using one in a "timed session", so to say. 4 of them and all good, any more and a simple grid penalty (monetary fines simply do no work, only the poor get hurt). Engines to last 3 races or so.

Add a Kers unit, simply bolt on and X MJ per lap.

Current engines cost upwards of 2 million per unit (the entire thing). My (educated) guess is that these engines above will be far cheaper than that. The likes of Cosworth can re-enter the sport as it'll be cost-effective for them (even a conglomerate like Honda struggles to build an engine, having spend well over 100m in developing their piss poor engines and are still absolutely nowhere, what does that tell you), and supply the poorer teams. Will some teams (I'm looking at you, Mercedes and maybe Renault) be upset? Maybe. Will they leave? Maybe. Maybe not. Mclaren, Red Bull, Cosworth...all will be able to develop an engine and sell their engine to others. Problem solved. And other teams can and will take the place of the teams that have left. Ever single other team besides Mercedes and Renault (if they're actually that upset) will much prefer this as a) it'll be much cheaper to run a team b) the noise, closer racing et all is likely to bring fans back instead of turning back on the sport c) with the return of viewers, and cheaper costs, sponsors will be more interested again.

As for the fans, yes a small percentage of ultra techies might be a little bit upset and may leave. I've no doubt about this. But why don't they just watch ''how to build a space ship'' on youtube? I bet that's complicated.

Finlander likes this.
  23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I didn't say with more engines they can do more R&D. I'm saying freeze the current design of each team's engine, but let them build as many as they please throughout the season instead of forcing them to last X number of races where they have back off the throttle to preserve it toward the end. Let them have a new engine each race and go flat out. The variable cost in building a new engine can't be that much. It's probably raw materials and some small random things at that point. The labor is likely salaried and they already own the equipment to build the engine.

They could have the teams manufacture the engines before the season under the frozen rules and held by the FIA/F1 and then they get their engine prior to each race. That would ensure no development took place in the interval and the teams could run flatout for that race and not worry about 5 races from now. There's no way it costs that much more per engine once it's designed and just needs raw material to make.

24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Dear Santa :All i want for Christmas is a new Cossie in the back of my pedal car,and while your at it make if effing loud too.

25. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    An engine freeze for an entire season would only be watchable if you had a spec engine. At that point Ferrari might as well exit the sport entirely.