2018 Formula One Season ***Possible Spoilers*** | Page 18 | FerrariChat

2018 Formula One Season ***Possible Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Jan 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Meaningless or important?

Ultrasoft long run average times Vettel – 1:38.9 Hamilton – 1:39.14 Bottas – 1:39.17 Ricciardo - 1:39.17

2. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    They need to **** him off and back bring Murray back out of retirement! :D

4. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  5. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Some classics in there, right at the start I love it when Brundle told Horner it was a shame he wasn't fast enough to get to Formula 1! :D:D

6. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    I would have thought fairly significant - where were Kimi & Bottles?

7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Bottas was third, dear.

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Who?

9. Its328

Its328 F1 Rookie

May 31, 2017
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I loved Murray but he was getting a bit sketchy towards the end of his career

10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    15 deg at track in china!!

11. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    That was the best part when he was making mistakes and Brundle would correct him :D

BRING BACK MURRAY WALKER :D

12. Its328

Its328 F1 Rookie

May 31, 2017
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Kim
  13. Its328

Its328 F1 Rookie

May 31, 2017
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Kim
    How much bad luck can Daniel have sheesh!!!!!

14. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  16. Its328

Its328 F1 Rookie

May 31, 2017
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Sticking my neck out for a Kimmi pole ;)

17. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  18. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Nice recovery by Ricci.

Ferrari 1-2!

19. Its328

Its328 F1 Rookie

May 31, 2017
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Kim
    And I was getting ready to gloat :oops:
    Great result though

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  21. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Sebastian Vettel claimed his 52nd career pole position ahead of team-mate Kimi Raikkonen in the dying moments of an intriguing qualifying hour at the Shanghai International Circuit.

As in Bahrain, but on a very different type of circuit, Mercedes once again struggled to get the softer tyres to work on a single lap; this time the ultrasofts. They could not find the grip that Ferrari could.

It is a potentially very significant outcome for the championship, as Mercedes clearly have a problem that requires an urgent solution.

While neither Ferrari nor Mercedes are offering any concrete explanations for the half second difference in pace, it’s clear that it relates to keeping the softer tyres in the correct temperature range. Both teams will start the race on the soft compound tyres and Mercedes looked very fast on those.

The result means that the current championship leader has secured back-to-back pole positions for the first time since 2013, with Ferrari taking consecutive front-row lockouts for the first time since 2006.

In addition to this, reigning champion Lewis Hamilton could only qualify his Mercedes in fourth place, behind team-mate Valtteri Bottas, and will face an early race threat from the two Red Bulls of Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo, especially as both will be fast off the line on the ultrasoft tyres. That is worth an estimated 7 metres at the start in Shanghai.

Against that, Shanghai is one of the top three easiest tracks of the season for overtaking, thanks to a 1.2km straight and powerful DRS effect. But Hamilton looks out of sorts and is up against it.

“I knew that on the first lap I had some mistakes,” said Vettel, “I lost the rear at Turn 3 at the exit of the low-speed, and then 6 again, so I was a bit beaten up, but then I knew that if I got a tidy lap and I have a little bit of margin then I could push.

“The last lap in Q3 I knew I could step it up.”

“It was OK, but not good enough,” bemoaned Raikkonen.

“Obviously it’s going to be a long race. We need to stay out of issues and go from there and see what it brings.”

Renault’s Nico Hulkenberg lead the midfield battle with a solid seventh place, ahead of a much-improved Force India of Sergio Perez and team-mate Carlos Sainz. Romain Grosjean ensured Haas appeared in their third Q3 appearance of the season.

[​IMG]

Qualifying session 1

The final free practice session turned into a disaster for Daniel Ricciardo; his Red Bull suffered an engine failure and left his mechanics with a race against time to swap power units in time for the qualifying hour.

His side of the garage were still scrambling to get the car ready as the first part of qualifying began, but with around three minutes of Q1 to go, the Australian was sent out to set his one-and-only time of the session.

Ricciardo had only managed four laps on Saturday morning, and his lack of earlier running was evident in the missed apexes of his flying lap. Nonetheless his sole flying lap was marginally fast enough to progress into Q2.

The two Williams and Saubers were eliminated from the first part of qualifying, along with Bahrain Grand Prix hero Pierre Gasly, who was brought back down to earth with a seventeenth place result.

Charles Leclerc out-qualified his more experienced team-mate Marcus Ericsson for the first time this season, despite earlier losing control of his Sauber on the exit of the final corner and narrowly keeping his car out of the barrier before the pit wall.

[​IMG]

Qualifying session 2

Attentions turned to the front and, more specifically, which tyres were going to be used by Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.

Pirelli had brought an even softer qualifying tyre with them to the Shanghai circuit. Therefore, with any Q3 teams regulated to start the race on their Q2 tyres, there was an additional strategic headache for the top teams.

Both Ferrari and Mercedes chose to send their drivers out on the soft tyres, with Red Bull choosing to progress with the ultrasoft tyre.

Ferrari were safely through to Q3, despite toying with the idea of making a last-minute switch to the ultrasofts, whilst Mercedes elected to complete additional laps on the softs to secure their place in the final part of qualifying.

Kevin Magnussen ended his early-season Q3 streak by being edged out of the top ten in the final moments of the session, ahead of Force India’s Esteban Ocon.

McLaren continued their 2018 form of only reaching Q2, with Fernando Alonso thirteenth and Stoffel Vandoorne fourteenth, ahead of Toro Rosso’s Brendon Hartley.

[​IMG]

Qualifying session 3

Just as they did in free practice three, Ferrari demonstrated a devastating turn of pace in the final part of qualifying; Raikkonen topped the time sheets ahead of team-mate Vettel after the first runs, with Mercedes seemingly unable to provide an answer to their pace.

The Finn had looked strong all weekend and, just as he looked on course to secure his first pole position of the season, a poor final sector opened the door for Vettel to steal pole position by less than one tenth of a second, an even smaller margin than his Bahrain qualifying triumph.

Bottas pipped Hamilton to third place, whilst the Red Bulls of Verstappen and Ricciardo were unable to get in amongst the top four.

The Mercedes drivers now face the prospect of having to defend against a pair of feisty Red Bull drivers on ultrasoft tyres in the first stint of the race, and race strategy could depend on how well the Red Bulls can survive on those softer tyres.

22. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Sorry Darling, I meant Max :(

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  24. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very good Quali!! Looking forward to the race today, hopefully a 1-2 for Ferrari! :D

Steve355F1 likes this.
  25. Nintendo64

Nintendo64 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2016
    Of course if i was running Ferrari i would be leaning on fellow Italian Pirelli to make tyres that totally suit our home team and bugger the rest of them.

Ferrari simply don't have the desire and lengths i would go to, to win.

Anyway good job guys, S/V is still 2nd for W/C in 2018, i have plonked a bet on him, i recommend you do too

https://www.oddschecker.com/au/motorsport/formula-one

FORZA FERRARI!