2018 Formula One Season ***Possible Spoilers*** | Page 32 | FerrariChat

2018 Formula One Season ***Possible Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Jan 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    He's not good, crashed all on his own like that dickhead Grosean

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    POSTED BY: LUKE MURPHY | 22 MAY 2018 | 10:32 AM GMT | 1 COMMENT
    Mercedes F1 driver Valtteri Bottas believes that he has been eliminating the poor performances that hampered his 2017 season.

The Finn joined Mercedes for the start of 2017 and, after taking three wins and four pole positions in his first season with the team, earned himself a one-year extension to his contract, taking him into 2018.

Despite the flashes of pace, Bottas rarely threatened in last year’s championship challenge, something which he is hoping to address through executing a more consistent season.

Speaking after the Spanish Grand Prix, Bottas said that he believed he has so far eliminated the weekends where he was “way off the pace”.

“I think this year I have been meeting more or less my targets with the performance for the beginning of the year,” said Bottas.

“I think I’ve been able to really continue good performances from the end of last year.

“And there have been no weekends that I have been way off the pace, like there were a few last year. So I feel I have learned from those, and need to continue my development.

“There are never things that you can’t learn more, so I still hope I keep improving. I think there’s been quite mixed races, and the end results haven’t been really I feel sometimes quite there, that I feel would have been possible with the pace we’ve had.”

On face value, Bottas’ first five races of this season could be viewed as being less successful than his first five from 2017; at this stage last year, he had one win and 63 points to his name, whereas this year he has 58 points and is yet to win a race.

As is often the case in Formula One, the results don’t tell the full story.

[​IMG]

Questions may have been asked following his self-inflicted crash (and subsequent gearbox change) during qualifying for the first race in Australia, but since then his performances have generally been the match of his reigning world champion team-mate Lewis Hamilton.

In Bahrain he gave a much-needed display of speed. He out-qualified and out-raced Hamilton – although the latter was aided by Hamilton’s gearbox penalty – but some critics still had question marks over his performance due to his inability to make a late-race overtaking attempt on Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel.

He was then hit by by some poor fortune that potentially denied him two victories.

The timing of the safety car in the Chinese Grand Prix mean that Red Bull were able to make the switch onto the faster tyres and fight through to take the win in Shanghai, with Bottas finishing second despite completing arguably his strongest race of the year so far.

Whilst the virtual safety car initially gave Bottas the chance to win in Baku, a cruel puncture eliminated him from the race lead with just a handful of kilometres to go.

He might’ve been out-performed by Hamilton in Spain, but his time deficit is partly-attributed to the high levels of wear experienced on a mammoth 47-lap stint on the medium tyres.

After Spain, Bottas is 37 points behind current championship leader Hamilton, but he insists that his approach is very much “race-by-race”.

“It’s pretty much the same. We’re so early on in the season, and I hope that I have had my bad luck for the year. At least for us we got a good edge on Ferrari this weekend with the points, but also early days.

“And at least I got closer to Sebastian [Vettel] in the points, ahead of Kimi [Raikkonen], so that’s good. But it’s still early on, so I don’t really want to think about the points, I just really want to focus race-by-race.”

Bottas will be well aware that a challenge for the championship – as well as maintaining a good relationship with the team – would do wonders for his efforts to secure another contract extension with Mercedes.

He refused to rule out accepting another one-year deal, but he stated that his preference would be for “at least” a two-year deal.

[​IMG]

“I would like to stay with this team, hopefully for a long time,” he told Motorsport. “That is my target. As long as I keep performing like I’ve been performing this year so far, naturally it should be OK, all good.”

“I always kind of had one-year deals, so I would naturally like to know at least for the next two years what I’m going to do.”

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff added that he had seen a noticeable improvement from Bottas over the first few races of the season, which he believes is vindicating the decision to keep him for 2018.

“Valtteri has been upping his game through the last races and has been very solid indeed,” said Wolff.

“And that proves us right with our decision back in the day. And having the two drivers close to each other in terms of performance levels, and equally respecting each other and racing each other fair is the best case.”

All images: Motorsport Images

3. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  4. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  5. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    remember...thursday, not friday

Monaco / 27 May
    SCHEDULE YOUR TIMELOCAL TIME
    1st Free practice Thu 24 May 19:00 - 20:30
    2nd Free practice Thu 24 May 23:00 - 00:30
    3rd Free practice Sat 26 May 20:00 - 21:00
    1st Qualifying Sat 26 May 23:00 - 23:18
    2nd Qualifying Sat 26 May 23:25 - 23:40
    3rd Qualifying Sat 26 May 23:48 - 00:00
    Race Sun 27 May 23:10 - 01:10

6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Rosey likes this.
  7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I've got to work Monday morning...............might have to blow it. :p

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Not that line again!....but if gets you off work, do it to him!

Maranello550 likes this.
  10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  11. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  12. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Alonso 17th, 2.5 sec off the pace and only 15 laps.

Gee he must be happy he left Ferrari!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    He probably doesn't care, although he MIGHT have won the WDC last year in the Ferrari as Vettel should have if he hadn't had his melt down.

14. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  17. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  18. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  19. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Can we go back to the old European session start times. :confused::confused::confused:

Rosey likes this.
  20. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Yeah this start time is ridiculous, I'll be asleep before the grid walk :(

21. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    THREE bloody hours to go !!!

I think I'll watch the 2007 season again on dvd, I still hope Kimi wins it ............. I keep seeing him miles behind until the final 2 races :p

22. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    At least Kimi won a title with Ferrari. :p

23. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Vettel never will ............. he's a hot head ..... he blew last year's title race

Is it any wonder Dan fancies his chances beating him in a Ferrari :p