2018 Indy Car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2018 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Oct 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Spin what? It was only possible because of their Honda relationship last season. Now that they're with Renault it won't happen.

tifoso2728 and GuyIncognito like this.
  3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes, obviously with the new aero and electronics, there is more of a reason for testing.

Hope you're wrong about next year though as surely they're seeing the benefit of having test sessions
    for the teams throughout the off-season.

BHW

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  5. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Hopefully, they'll come to their senses and listen to feedback as they have with the stupid
    "aero kits" and open things up to multiple chassis manufactures.

BHW

7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Not a huge Indy Car fan, but I do watch the 500 when I can. The McLaren "surprise" last May was very interesting. Too bad the motor broke.

I do like the looks of the Indy Cars better than F1. This 2018 concept rendering is quite nice.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Hopefully? In the 20 plus years of this nonsense do you really expect more than one? They can't even find a third engine manufacturer let alone chassis. As for them coming to their senses.....I am leaning toward that when "hell freezes over" thing. Or that " I will be 6 feet under" thing of Edesel Ford on both counts.

rdefabri likes this.
  9. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Hopefully they keep to their senses and not go the open chassis route. Indy car has been on a tremendous up swing over the last 5 years and is now a great series with true world class drivers again with some of the best on track action out there. In today's post tobacco money environment where the more and more people see cars as an evil necessity rather than an aspirational possession, the big money just isn't there. If you open it up to free or multiple chassis manufacturers again you'll instantly drive half the field into bankruptcy and loose the momentum the series has. There is a tremendous amount of freedom for what is a spec series that makes a massive difference between the Penske's and the back of the grid. People keep saying the aero kits were a bad idea because they were ugly and expensive. That's only a fraction of the cost, complexity etc of what an open formula would bring. Maybe once it's re-established itself as the true pinnacle of North American Motorsport again over (a fading) NASCAR and the sponsor base is will to fund teams to the tune of $20-50mil rather then than the $1-15mil today they could consider it. But right now open chassis would kill it instantly. Also an open formula, if it were sustainable, would probably instantly drive dirty aero that is already the bane of F1. Right now Indy car dictate a universal aero package that makes following the car in front, and thus create passing opportunities, possible. Even with the limited aero kits we had over the last two years we were starting down the harder to pass route.

No I dont' see this as a chicken and egg situation where open chassis would foster more interest. That only accounts for the hard core fans. Paint all the F1 grid the same and 90% of fans couldn't differentiate and Ferrari from a Williams today.

The series has a long way to go, but it's very much in the ascendancy which is more than I can say for F1 or NASCAR.

Devilsolsi and RWatters like this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  11. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    500 mile snowmobile race? Why not !

12. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Absolutely! Gilles started in snowmobile racing, right?

13. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Yes he
    Yes he did along with his brother Jacque. They raced several brands but he got notice when help build and pilot the twin track Alouette in 73. He won the World Snowmobile championship also. His real deal came in 75 when he went on a tear with the Kawasaki/Skiroule. It was the first fully independent front suspension snowmobile that worked. He ate up the competition. It help level his way thru Formula Ford and then to F1. I knew him when he raced sleds. I ran against him in the NY State Championships in 1975. He had tremendous talent ad did his brother.

14. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Turbopanzer-- When did mfrs. start using the same riders from race to race? I had college friends from Rhinelander WI, one of them was recruited for the local race by one of the mfrs....late '60s. Don't know if I heard the whole story about this....

15. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    You need to get this book....https://www.amazon.com/Warriors-winter-previously-history-snowmobile/dp/0930820010

It is an excellent read and even TP's home track gets mentioned. The book can tell the whole story. It is the truly history of why we race. I can assure you that it will be the best read you have had in a long time.

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Back to the subject at hand...

Indy Car racing staying in the news for the right reasons during the off season, teams testing
    again at Sebring this week.

This is what has been sorely missing from Indy Car the past few years. Off season testing news
    which during the CART era at least, was virtually as intriguing as the season itself and kept me
    busy as a photographer from the end of the season right to the start of the next season.

They're finally slowly coming around.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/jones-feeling-both-pressure-and-confidence-at-ganassi-994924/

BHW

17. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    This will last about 15 minutes. Once they determine the cars likes andb dislikes, they will "adjust" accordingly. You can't change anything else can you? So then we go back to looking at pretty colors and shiny bobbles.

18. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I am glad to see that Indycar seems to “get it”, and is heading in the right direction regarding that most important part of the experience, SOUND!

From an article about the future engine regulations: “Everybody wants more power, so that's what we're working on giving our fans with this plan. 'Fast and loud,' brother, that's the thing we're going for."

Oh how I wish F1 could grasp that simple concept.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/146847-indycar-engine-development-agreement-new-formula-coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    In this regard, what teams must be doing a better job of is giving their sponsors ROI. That means keeping
    their logos in the public eye year round, not just from March until September.

There must be off-season testing to keep the teams and drivers in practice and, believe me, the sponsors
    are very keen about this as well. During the CART era, Sebring International Raceway made more bank
    from testing than all the other track activities such was the amount of testing that went on from virtually the
    day after the season ended right up to the first race the next season.

For far too long, the complete lack of off-season testing or any sort of news coming from Indy Car was rather
    curious. The best way to stay in the news is to have cars on track turning laps and finally Indy Car seems
    to be grasping this.

BHW

nathandarby67 likes this.
  20. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
  21. ryanro24

ryanro24 Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    NW Indiana
    Testing from Sebring a few weeks ago,

22. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  23. PMW2018

PMW2018 Karting

Feb 8, 2018
    France
    Full Name:
    Kitemona
    The windscreen is way more aesthetic but the halo is more safer.

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It would be better to go canopy like some of the top fuel. It at least could be made to look good even though it loses the open cockpit purpose. The halo and windshield are half-ass. Either go full canopy or go nothing imo.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.