2018 Season - Mercedes knocking on the door of 1000hp Engine | FerrariChat

2018 Season - Mercedes knocking on the door of 1000hp Engine

Discussion in 'F1' started by F2003-GA, Dec 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  2. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Kind of weird to say that in a time where power levels are guarded. I'm going to assume if they say they are close to 1,000hp then they probably already make more than that.

3. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Yes they are boosting kind of early

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I think that they are trying to psych out the competition and trick them into going hyper stupid with there up grades and have a rash of failures.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Some said that Mercedes had around 1000hp already in 2016, so I guess that now everybody (well, maybe not Honda) has more than that.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    makes sense

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Nice. So this confirms I don't need to watch the 2018 F1 season as the result is already known.

8. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I think they said it just to bug Ferrari fans...get us to create a thread about it.

jcurry and F2003-GA like this.
  9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Most watch just to see how the rest get on, I for one only have interest in the ferraris, couldn’t care less where anyone else finishes and have no expectations of championships until the rules are amended to take away Mercedes built in cheats.

stavura, Bas and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  10. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I see the sower grapes are bountiful today...

Keep the faith. Ferrari will make a step next year, no question. So will Renault.

Here’s fact. The longer there is formula stability, the more performance of the top team converge to the optimal. I am fully expecting a tighter race for the title in 2018 and we know that Ham cracks under intense competitive pressure. Bring it on!

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    :D

shawdut likes this.
  12. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I'm with you on most of this but who is going to give competition to Hamilton? 2017 proved that it was Vettel who cracks under pressure..badly. Hamilton drove pretty well this year for the most part. The #2 driver isn't great either. Ferrari should be concerned about their long-term viability with current driver line up.

kraftwerk, YorkieV12 and 375+ like this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Kimi will be replaced with either Ricciardo or Leclerc in 2019 IMO.

shawdut and Bas like this.
  14. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I hope it's Ricciardo. An inexperienced driver at Ferrari would quickly be relegated to a support role. 3 drivers in WDC contention would be more fun to watch, but I'm sure Marchionne will go for the cheaper option.

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I'm not so sure. Ferrari tends to pay-up for driving talent--over pay in some cases.

16. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I remember that too, but can't find those stories. Any ideas?

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Last year they were "closing in on" 1000 HP, maybe 50 shy (in qualifying trim).
    So this reported breaktrough is at the 5% level which generally translates to DIV 3 gains on the track 5%/3 = 1.6% faster lap times.

18. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Renault made big gains as well. And that was with the entire season Renault not able to get their 2017 spec turbo to work. Red Bull had to machine components for Renault to fit the 2016 turbo, and their MGU was a mess, yet they still made gains. I remain hopeful for Renault

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Depends on how good leclerc really is, look at what max did against ricci! If he's quicker than seb, no one will make him go slower....

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    That's the spirit!

21. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    ^^^ This.

22. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I thought they were already there?

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  23. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Well to be fair Vettel had to work with less. Their car wasn't as good and he needed to take more risks than Hamilton did. It's easy to remain calm when you have the best car year after year after year. Vettel's only real bonehead move was Baku. The Singpore start was a racing incident and he can't help it if the car kept breaking the second half. Again that was down to Ferrari pushing too hard trying to catch a faster car...

P.Singhof, 375+ and daytona355 like this.
  24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133660/mercedes-aimed-for-90%25-car-in-2017 - This plus more power.....I hope Ferrari are working over the holidays :)

Mercedes aimed to produce what it has described as "a 90% car" for the 2017 Formula 1 season, as it was the first year of a new set of technical regulations.

The dominant team of the V6 hybrid engine era managed to win the drivers' and constructors' championship double for the fourth year running, but it admits that it did not want to aim too high with its first car built to the new rules.

Speaking exclusively to F1 Racing magazine about the Mercedes W08, chief designer John Owen said the car had more flexibility factored into its design than the previous year's W07.

"I set the objective to build a 90% car for 2017," said Owen.

"It might seem strange not to aim for 100%, but the problem you face in any new set of rules is that you can't be certain of the challenges you'll face along the way - how the rules evolve, whether the tyres behave differently from how you expected.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Why Mercedes was so confused by its diva

"There's a lot of unknowns there, so you aim for a car that can cover as many different circumstances as possible, and accept that it might not be the pinnacle of optimisation.

"We built a lot of adjustment into the car, the capability to react to things we saw.

"Unfortunately, most of the things we had to adapt to we hadn't seen coming.

"So we carried a lot of compromise through the year for things that didn't need to be changed and we struggled a bit with those that did."

Owen added that greater optimisation of a car concept "tends to come in the second or third year of regulation stability", and that one late change the team faced on the eve of the season would have been far more problematic if it had happened the year before.

"What I mean [by a 90% car] is that it's quite spacious in places," he said.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"The reason for that was to enable us to react during the design process and move things round.

"We didn't know where the aerodynamic development would take us, to some extent - what areas of the car we'd need to find more space on for aero performance, what areas were safe zones where you don't find any aero.

"If you can move things around in the car and not have to reinvent every part of it with every new development, it's quite wise.

"We did have a very late change to one aspect of the power unit, and because of our philosophy we could accommodate it reasonably well.

"If that had happened on our 2016 car it would literally have been a case of tearing up the design and starting again.

"It was nice to have that little bit of breathing space, whereas for the next car we can afford to be a lot more aggressive."

25. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133793/mercedes-2018-engine-pretty-much-all-new

Mercedes' Formula 1 engine for the 2018 season will be "pretty much all new", according to its engine boss Andy Cowell.

Mercedes has been F1's benchmark since the turbo V6 hybrid rules were introduced in 2014 with the team winning four successive double world championships.

Ferrari provided a sterner challenge during this campaign, with Red Bull emerging as a strong threat in the closing stages of the season.

Mercedes is pushing on all fronts to maintain its advantage and is planning extensive updates to the engine.

"Pretty much all new," Cowell told Autosport regarding the expectations for next year's engine. "It is just because we're in the 20th race with this model.