2019 Canadian: Pre-Race News | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2019 Canadian: Pre-Race News

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It is a street circuit of some sort. One of our drivers hasn't exactly got a good record around those this year! And the other 50/50 at best!

daytona355 likes this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    daytona355 and Bas like this.
  3. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Weather has been awful, overcast and rainy almost all spring, they’re due for a decent week.

jcurry and Bas like this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    daytona355 and Nembo1777 like this.
  5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    worst is they don't even use a simulator for it?! They use a game best described as ''sim-cade''...definitely leaning to arcade.

G. Pepper and daytona355 like this.
  6. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    He sounds more and more like the head of Williams

daytona355, william and crinoid like this.
  7. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Is there a revenue stream with that, or is it an expense?

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think a marginal expense. Pay some young kid that can drive about on the arcade well enough some basic expenses and a janitors salary.

daytona355 likes this.
  9. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm just not seeing what's in it for Ferrari, I guess.

daytona355 likes this.
  10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    me neither. I guess they'll finally have a chance at winning something?

daytona355 and G. Pepper like this.
  11. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Would that be private business janitor or Federal Government janitor salary??

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/143786/current-engines-too-incredible-for-formula-1

Racing Point technical director Andy Green believes the current Formula 1 engines are "too incredible" and reckons F1 could benefit from a simpler power unit.

The current hybrid V6s, introduced in 2015, have been labelled as an "incredible piece of engineering" and the Mercedes powerunit became the most efficient engine ever by passing 50% thermal efficiency.

The normally-aspirated F1 engines that preceded the current formula had a reported 29% efficiency.

But Green, whose team runs Mercedes engines, feels the technology of the current power plants is too sophisticated.

"What we have now is an incredible piece of engineering in the back of the car. But it could just be too incredible," said Green.

"What we have is potentially something where the technology bar of the power unit is just way too high and I think I would like to see something that is just slightly simpler. That's my view.

"I'd never say no to more horsepower. The sport can't have enough horsepower. We need to make the cars harder to drive. More power; a simpler power unit. That's where I would be going."

daytona355, jgonzalesm6, Bas and 2 others like this.
  13. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    I remember a French-language newspaper running a front page photo of a bewildered rodent in the middle of the track. A wonderful race and an even better city. Great memories and some I wish I could remember.

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Good question

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    For sure he's definitely not wrong! No denying how incredibly sophisticated these engines are but good for the sport? No.

Whilst NA V10/12 is a dream (for now), I still say a good alternative will be the current base V6 paired with 2 conventional turbos and all the hybrid crap removed. Up the boost, enlarge fuel tanks to 150KG an let them run.

The base V6 really doesn't cost much at all. it's the hybrid stuff and ancillaries which cost a ridiculous amount of money. Make the base V6 last 3-4 races but they'll be able to be pushed. Cost will go down immensely and power disparity will be much less. Allow the turbo's to be swapped after each weekend (cost 10K all in).

daytona355, DF1 and 375+ like this.
  16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's not the engines that are expensive (their cost is limited), but the bloody aero.
    The engineers are just barking up the wrong tree.

What Andy Green is saying is "I can't win, so let's try another formula."
    Racing Point has in fact the best engine, a Mercedes one !!!

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mercedes spends 250 annually on top of their usual F1 business. I'd say engines are pretty ****ing expensive.

The aero obviously is another point.

These engines are a huge expense to customer teams, also. Due to their complexity and cost to develop. Even with Mercedes selling them at a huge loss, it's a huge expense to customer teams (when promised engine cost would be reduced, in fact they more than doubled despite receiving 3x fewer engines per season!).

When a customer team receiving the best engine is complaining, doesn't that wake you up?

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Nope.

The Cosworth DFV was available to 80% of the grid, but only a few teams were winning with it, if you remember.
    There is more to a car than the engine. Look at Williams !

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The engine is unnecessarily expensive and complicated. It has zero road relevancy (not that that matters, as it's a pointless thing in a single seater formula, but the reason Mercedes/Renault wanted these engines was for that). Why does it need to be expensive and complicated when it doesn't make the racing any better? in fact the very opposite? Go to a simple engine and simple aero and let the teams race for once.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

As far as I know, all the teams agreed with this formula. If they don't like it, they can leave.
    "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!"

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Under the promise of cheaper engines, yes they agreed.

Is that what you want? Ok then, lets Mercedes introduce a new formula that will be so cost prohibitive that only Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull can partake.

Sounds like a recipe for success!

daytona355, stavura and 375+ like this.
  22. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    At least one can argue about the road relevancy of the pu hybrid tech; the aero is not applicable to normal driving and have made the cars ugly with those goofy front wings.

william and RobertJRB like this.
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    And why does F1 need to be relevant to road cars?

24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    A good question. For us fans, it needn't be. But, for Honda, Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari (witness Ferrari's latest offering), it probably has to be.

william and classic308 like this.
  25. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Training ground for future engineers. That said, the semi a
    Trickle down tech to road cars(semi auto gearboxes) etc. training ground for engineers, etc

william likes this.