2019 Cavallino Classic | Page 9 | FerrariChat

2019 Cavallino Classic

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Nov 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Although I agree that the newer cars also belong to the history of the marque and therefor should be part of the Cavallino Classic one should mention that the amount of people on the lower half of the field was a fraction of those visiting the field of the vintage cars... So obviously people care much more about the older ones.
    I am sure that it is important to many owners of the new cars to get their cars judged by a capable jury but I guess spectators are not paying the ticket price to see cars they can see on the Palm Beach shopping mile every day for free.
    But you do not see those 12-cylinder race cars like 250 TR, 410 Sport or 335 S on a cars and coffee meeting and this is what people pay for. I do not see any other chances to see those apart from Pebble Beach in a Ferrari year and prices there (ticket, hotel....) are much more expensive at the end.
    The only thing that is really going down are the track days but this is not the organizers fault but the owners fault if they do not want to drive their cars anymore...

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Peter - I completely agree with you, but one can’t take that for granted. I’m one that undertakes the great time and expense to show my cars at Cavallino because the show is very important to me. Aside from participating, the highlight for me is seeing the incredible vintage cars that can only be seen at Cavallino, as you stated. Still, I wouldn’t assume that crowd will always be there. The show needs to appeal to a broader set of enthusiasts for its long term health. It would be fabulous to see a dozen LaFerrari’s, Enzo’s, etc. in addition to all the amazing cars from the 50’s and 60’s. I don’t think anyone would ever grow tired of that. Even those who love the vintage greats all seem to agree that the modern super cars are a sight to behold. And, I don’t agree that the Barnes’s don’t care about the modern classes. They may not personally have a passion for them but they are happy to include them in the show and there are judging classifications for them. It all goes the viability of the concours for the up and coming fans. All business need to nurture and grow.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Again, your way of thinking may not be their way. There are many dinosaurs who think new cars should not be judged. After all, what's to judge?

Ps. Why not make them an offer to buy it? I've heard rumors about them wanting to sell. Go for it.

Jack-the-lad, Dave rocks and HotShoe like this.
  4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Paul Russell used to give us these laminated "cards" for each car. They are a simple schematic describing what each knob controls and the recommended order for starting the car or running basic systems.

A true professional, he ensures nothing is left to chance during the judging process. Perfection down to the most minute detail. It eases the owner's mind and takes the stress out of the situation to have your very own little "cheat sheet". Worked like a charm on the Bugatti and 212. Actually saved our butts at Amelia one cold morning with the Bugatti as it was very temperamental when started cold. If you got it wrong it wouldn't start to save it's life.

Dave rocks and Texas Forever like this.
  5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    And what is old and what is new? IMO, anything post Dino/Daytona is too new. Opinions, of course, vary.

BlackBird007 and Texas Forever like this.
  6. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thank you. Very cool. Glad Paul does this. Like many, I’ve always wondered what some of the knobs and buttons do.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Paul is smart and has been at it a long time. He understands very well it isn't a great advertisement when one of his cars doesn't start on command. He also understands it isn't great for client relations either. Vintage cars can be very idiosyncratic and once a procedure is established recording it is a very good system.

9. hammergb

hammergb Rookie

Sep 2, 2017
    Westminster, MD
    Cavallino rain is different than ordinary rain

Sent from my SM-G930V

Wade, MalteseVA and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Again about the discussion for the younger cars, think not so bad for a car from the 90s

Platinum and two (!) major awards:

-Platin Status (99.5 points, more then all others)
    -Ferrari Spirit Cup
    -Ferrari Competition Cup

But, also dont know why, in the same class as all the other Competition Cars, but not displayed with them...

And in many reports (Peter?) not noticed...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Heinz.... our report was done in a hurry on Saturday night after the show to get it online. It is only the report accompanying the preview, there is a lot missing and the final report will be longer in a few days....Remember one has to sort all the mages, do the descriptions and write an article...all that after returning to the hotel in the late evening!

12. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    I know Peter, I know...

Sorry, I know what you are working. See you in Paris, first beer is on me ;-)

13. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    which S/N was the california?

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I agree that the people that show up for Cavallino these days are definitely more interested in the vintage cars. My comment was in regards to making the event sustainable / valuable to a wider audience. The dwindling entry and attendance over the past 10 years indicate this to be headed out to pasture in the future without the inclusion of today's movers and shakers. It is fine, but in 20-30 years the event will likely be 5 or 6 cars being looked at by a couple dozen octogenarians at a price of $5,000 per spectator.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    1685gt

16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Who is the owner of the ex-Pininfarina 275GTB? Sorry, I don't know the chassis number.

Thanks.

17. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    06437 entered by Lee Herrington

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you, Peter.

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    They had a California on the lawn at Cavallino? Oh wait a minute. Are you talking about a real California? My bad. :rolleyes:

20. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Paul (on the right) at the judges meeting Sunday morning at Mar-a-Lago.

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    MalteseVA likes this.
  22. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    MalteseVA and Texas Forever like this.