2019 Indy Car | Page 11 | FerrariChat

2019 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Mar 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael

I had to chuckle when Paul Tracy made the same comment on the broadcast considering how many cars he wrote off in his early years with Penske.

RWatters and GuyIncognito like this.
  2. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    At least he lived the story!

3. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    If racing is so good, why was the Road America 2018 race a parade? Will it be again? Circumstances changed, so I've been/will be there...but....
    Unless it's a nasty day, I don't watch afternoon TV. I record it, but never watch it......

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Texas race tonight. usually a good show :eek:

5. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Good show? We shall see. With the recent articles pertaining to one driver and the speed of ovals, I am expecting a posted speed limit of 60 mph as to avoid any injuries to man or machine.

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    huh?

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Probably the race I look forward to the most honestly. It really shows how fast these cars on with this short oval. Gives viewers a real good sensation of speed like a video game.

Sato is flying...

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  10. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I knew this would get you all fired up. Enjoy the race Guy! ;)

GuyIncognito likes this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Well his pit crew guy ended up flying. Literally. He looks ok though.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  12. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Dammit. I am in Central American VPN hell. I want to watch this race. Grrrr.

Gator likes this.
  13. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Herta was fun to watch with the passes he was making. Ultimately paid for it and not surprising the risks caught up with him.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    great race between Newgarden and Rossi! good show.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  15. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Another 2nd place by Rossi...he's gotta be furious.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    good points night for him. especially with Dixon's crash and Power being nowhere tonight

17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Those of us who watched it on NBCSP missed it, too.
    The critical move of the race -- Newgarden's lead-to-lead pit stop -- was without even side-by-side coverage.
    TV blanked out for commercials.

Sure, they replayed the stationary time in the box, but nothing on pit-in or pit-out.

Poor Sato. The pit boxes are a bit tight, he had to maneuver around an occupied pit right behind him, and he came in hot, with not enough grip to turn tight and stop at that pace. I wonder if he was trying to get into his box before they released the car from the box behind him -- which also could have been a disaster waiting to happen.

Nortonious likes this.
  18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Remembering back to when Champ Car ran at Texas and the drivers were reporting being
    dizzy from the high speeds and they eventually had to cancel the race to today where they
    run there seemingly with no problem.

What is the difference today? Was it the downforce Champ Cars were allowed to run?

Entertaining race, amazing no one seriously hurt (or worse) in the Sato pit incident. It was funny,
    when they put the camera on him as he entered the pits, I was thinking "He looks way too fast".
    They judged him to be 20MPH over the pit lane speed limit and brought him back in for stop & go.
    Lucky that wasn't IMSA that would have been like a 5 minute stop in the penalty box.

Indy Car definitely on the up with great races and unpredictable results which is more than may
    be said about F1 lately.

BHW

Nortonious likes this.
  19. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Ooof. That has been my biggest gripe with IndyCar right now. The racing product itself is great, but the commercial interruptions greatly downgrade the experience. They really need to attract viewers/fans and the racing is good enough to do that. I wish it were feasible to absorb a short-term profit loss (no commercials) to really draw in viewers, help grow the fanbase, would be good for motorsports overall...take advantage of the quality racing in the midst of the large US market....but then again perhaps the PC-green world just can't stomach those non-hybrid non-EV cars.

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If NBCS can get a single sponsor to step up and cover the costs of a full race a-la Mother's
    does for the ESPN F1 broadcasts, then maybe.

Not sure about the nature of NBCS' arrangement with Indy Car but when they have 500 mile
    races which may take upward of three to four hours to complete, then that becomes a pretty
    heavy burden vs. F1 where races are done in an hour and a half to two hours max which is
    a bit more manageable.

Given the financial shellacking NBC takes on broadcasting the Olympics for example, going
    commercial free during Indy Car broadcasts may not be a workable model for them.

But, yes, the timing of their commercials always seems to be off which is the only real complaint
    in otherwise good shows. Notice how Bell and Tracy keep fan-boy Diffey from venturing off into
    story telling land as he's prone to do, they manage him a lot better than Hobbs and Matchett did.

BHW

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    They should try and save the commercial breaks for the yellow-flag periods, but after the initial flurry of pit stops that occur under yellow. There are usually several more laps run under yellow before they resume green-flag racing; that would be the ideal time for commercials.

DGS likes this.
  22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Sato won the pole this weekend at 220mph. race pace was 215-217.

when Champ Car ran there in 2001, pole (before they cancelled the race) was 233, and Tracy ran a draft lap in practice at 236.

that's a pretty big gap-almost the same gap between the current IndyCar and Monster Energy Cup cars.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  23. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Thanks...

At the time, Patrick Carpentier told me that he was so dizzy he threw up in his helmet.

BHW

24. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I've heard that complaint about the "Iowa Soup Bowl" race on the short oval. ;)

But that's my complaint about the coverage: With such a short lap, how did Newgarden manage a full tires and fuel pit stop without losing the lead?
    Especially as that pit exit is pretty long.

How hot did Newgarden hit his pit box? :p

But there seems to be a concerted effort to drive people away from "cable" channels and onto "streaming media" (pay-per-channel).