2019 Mercedes E Class vs S Class | FerrariChat

2019 Mercedes E Class vs S Class

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Smiles, Dec 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I posted something along the lines in Silver Subscribed, but I thought I should open the question to everyone.

The E sedan starts at $53,500. Fully loaded in an AMG convertible it gets to just under $100k.

The S sedan starts at $91,250. The similar loaded AMG convertible pushes $200k.

But they are surprisingly similar. Both have the huge dual screens, both can be had with massage chairs, scented HVAC, soft-close doors and so on. All the hi-tech stuff is available (and often standard) in either car: Distronic, lane keeping, smart everything..

The S is dimensionally larger than the E, but not as much as the previous S Class.

Can you guys justify the price of the S over the E? Or is the S the pinnacle of Mercedes ownership still?

Matt

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I don’t own one but watch the prices. You can get a used 2016 S 550 with less than 30 k miles for half the new price.

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well Matt, you got me thinking (which is always dangerous so I'm told) about this from your other thread, so I did some research. The S class design though refreshed a couple years ago is over 5 years old, which is a lifetime in the case of a luxury car. The new S class I'm sure will put the E class back in its proper place, which is much like the 5 is to the 7 in the BMW world. The E is a more sporty car the S is a floating boat, its driver and passengers more isolated, and it just has a feel of solid quality that the E class just does not quite have. I think it depends on what you are expecting from a car and how you plan to use it, my S class get used about 20 times a year (between Nov-April) when my girlfriend and I go out and need to give a car to the Valet. It does its job perfectly. I don't think you you can go wrong either way, though the member that posted before me is right, if you want and S buy a CPO car that is a couple years old, that is the best way to own one.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Great point in the age difference between the two, Morrie.

The E is brand new.

Matt

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ditto on picking one up a couple years used. Can still get a Merc extended warranty and cut your cost by 40%.

Other than that, you tell me, do YOU think it's worth twice as much? Seems pretty clear from your post you don't. ;)

D

6. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    I saw an E coupe the other day. Think Mercedes is really dropping the ball - I thought it was an S until I saw the badging. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice car, but they’ve brought their product lines too closely together. I liked it when they all stood out from each other. Even the C can be mistaken for an S from behind and that’s by me, someone who knows cars.

Anyway, enough whining, if it were me I’d go cpo S solely because CPO E is not going to really be available yet and won’t have taken tooo much of a hit

Smiles likes this.
  7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm a little different because I want a sporting AMG convertible with the latest technology and... 4Matic for Pittsburgh winters. So the E is the only choice.

I'm just trying to justify it!

:)

Matt

8. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

My last Mercedes CPO had a better warranty than my new Mercedes has. I doubt I will ever buy a brand new Mercedes again. Just beware, my 2016 has had a LOT of warranty issues where the 2014 had none. In fact my car is at the dealer again for the 5th time this year for various issues. I don't know if the newer models have these items fixed or not. I will be trading my car before the warranty runs out.

9. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Watch out for those dodgy door locks .............

Smiles likes this.
  10. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I had an S65 and its the greatest car ever made. If the depreciation wasn't so awful I would still have one. The S is significantly larger in the back for your passengers, the E is fine, but its cramped. In terms of power, the E63S is alot quicker than the S65 for a lot less money. I wouldn't be buying a 2019 S, im not sure when they're going to change it, but the car first came out in 2013, its almost time for a new S class, they usually go 7 years.

Im not sure if its true but I've read they don't sell aftermarket warranties on AMG cars anymore and lots of the independent companies wont give you extended warranties either.

I don't know what you know about the history of the brand, but in 2000 the S500 had 300 HP and the S55 in 2003 was 493 HP as the sporty version, the base S550 is like 450 hp today, thats more than enough. The 63 has a nicer exhaust than the 65 which really didn't have one. If it was me and I did again, I'd go for a S63 or E63S wagon just because of how rare it is.