2019 Pre Season thread: Developments, News etc | FerrariChat

2019 Pre Season thread: Developments, News etc

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Dec 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140560/mercedes-suffers-etback-with-2019-engine

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff says his team's new engine plans for 2019 have suffered a small "setback" and not delivered the performance gains that had been hoped for.

The team is chasing a sixth consecutive F1 championship double next year, but knows it is facing ever increasing pressure from main rivals Ferrari and Red Bull.

In response to speculation that others had made bigger than expected steps on the power front and in recouping downforce lost to the 2019 aerodynamic rule changes, Wolff has revealed that Mercedes recently set itself more ambitious targets for the progress it needs to make this winter.

But he said the expected gains from a new engine concept had not come through so far.

Speaking at a recent conference for team sponsor Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Wolff said about the progress with the 2019 car: "These rules have been changed, normally the downforce should be less but the rumours you hear from the paddock is that people have been able to recuperate lots of that.

"There is a tremendous development race that is happening as we speak in finding downforce, reducing drag.

"And of course the engine is a very important part, and adding more horsepower to the engine.

"So we are setting ourselves really ambitious targets.

"We have actually increased the targets six weeks ago because we heard some rumours that others were doing well, so we increased the final point for the first race where we need to be in absolute lap time. We are still on the slope.

"We've had some good weeks in the windtunnel, we've had a little bit of a setback on the engine side where we believed the new concept would deliver a little bit more."

Rockyrider likes this.
  2. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140557/red-bull-gasly-needs-discipline-for-2019-step

Red Bull will need to instil a bit of "discipline" into Pierre Gasly for his 2019 Formula 1 promotion, according to Helmut Marko.

Gasly will step up to the Red Bull senior team after one full season with its junior outfit Toro Rosso, having been picked to replace Renault-bound Daniel Ricciardo.

The 22-year-old had to wait to earn Red Bull's faith in F1 after being placed in Super Formula for 2017 following his '16 GP2 Series title success, but has now been fast-tracked to partner Max Verstappen in '19.

Red Bull motorsport advisor Dr Marko told Autosport that Gasly will be under scrutiny because "that's what F1 is like".

"In football if you're not performing, you're sitting on the bench," Marko warned.

"Gasly has shown speed, but of course we have to [instil] discipline a little bit.

"But also, the support from the team is a different one. We're confident that he can do it."

Gasly makes the step to the senior team with marginally more experience than most of his predecessors.

The Frenchman has started 26 grands prix with Toro Rosso, more than Sebastian Vettel (25 plus one with Sauber), Max Verstappen (23) and Daniil Kvyat (19) when they made the same move.

3. DF1

4. DF1

ESPN press staff debate 2019 developments/drivers - http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/25415982/way-too-early-predictions-2019-formula-one-season

The 2018 Formula One season is done and dusted. What can we expect from the next one?

Our F1 editors Laurence Edmondson and Nate Saunders join columnists Maurice Hamilton and Kate Walker in discussing some of the biggest talking points likely to dominate the 2019 season.

Can anyone stop Lewis Hamilton winning the title in 2019?
    LE: Yes. Had Sebastian Vettel not made a bunch of mistakes during the second half of this year, we would have had a very different season finale in Abu Dhabi. I don't see Ferrari dropping back relative to Mercedes over the winter, and now the Italian team has Charles Leclerc on board, it has two drivers capable of taking the fight to Hamilton.

NS: Only an error-free Ferrari campaign can. Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc should both have the car and do have the talent to do so, but we saw Hamilton reach a new and terrifying level in 2018. Ferrari cannot afford the sort of implosions that ruined their last two seasons.

MH: Given the way Hamilton has been driving with such speed and supreme confidence this year, if Mercedes do even a half a decent job, it's difficult to see anyone getting close.

KW: Only Lewis Hamilton can. If he continues the run of form he's shown this year, Lewis will be a driver at the peak of his powers and borderline unstoppable.

Who will score more points, Sebastian Vettel or Charles Leclerc?
    Xavier Bonilla/NurPhoto via Getty Images
    LE: I think it will be close, but I reckon Vettel's extra experience will give him the edge. Yes, Leclerc looked impressive in his debut year with Sauber, but let's not forget he was up against Marcus Ericsson and not a four-time world champion. Leclerc is clearly still learning in these early years of his career -- especially on the engineering side -- so I think Vettel will have what it takes to come out on top. But 2020 could be a different story...

NS: You know what, I'm putting my neck on the line -- Charles Leclerc. This year showed some glaring weaknesses in Vettel's race craft and temperament, and that was all alongside a fairly uncompetitive teammate (in comparison). Vettel struggled alongside Daniel Ricciardo in similar circumstances in 2014. I've been careful not to jump on board the Leclerc Hype Train, but he was super impressive this year and I can see him making an immediate impact.

MH: The romantic notion is to have Leclerc come in and blow Vettel's doors off -- similar to Ricciardo at Red Bull in 2014. The first half of the season will be critical. If Charles can take the pressure of being at Ferrari and gives Seb a hard time, it might be the final straw for Vettel after his various problems this year. If he doesn't score more points, it's Game Over for Vettel. And yeah, I know; I haven't answered the question...

KW: Probably Seb, because he's got the advantage of having been embedded with the team for several years now. But Charles has his Ferrari Driver Academy experience and relationships, so... What will make next season interesting at Ferrari is that Charles doesn't need to beat Seb to come out on top in the psychological battle -- he just needs to match him.

How many wins can Red Bull-Honda claim next year?
    LE: With a tweaked set of aero regulations, Max Verstappen at the wheel and more single-lap performance than they had this season, I would be surprised if they don't at least match this year's four wins. But I still think it will be track dependent, with Monaco, Hungary, Singapore and Mexico the obvious targets for victory.

NS: Probably not quite enough to challenge for the championship, but I can see Verstappen doubling his career tally next year with another five. Any more than that in the first year with Honda will be a big ask. 2020 is a different story, though...

MH: Tempting to wonder if Max was asking himself that as oil sprayed from the back of Pierre Gasly's Toro Rosso during the closing laps on Sunday. Honda aren't there yet, but a Newey chassis will be ready and able, as will Verstappen. Four wins; same as this year.

KW: Seven. No reason, I just like the number.

Will Daniel Ricciardo visit the podium at any point in the year with Renault?
    It might be a while until we see another of Daniel Ricciardo's famous 'shoeys.' Dan Istitene/Getty Images
    LE: We saw in China this year how he can steal a win from nowhere, so I'd back him to take a podium with Renault. But I can't see it coming without some failures among the top three teams.

NS: I don't think so. Renault and the midfield pack really aren't fighting in the same championship as the top three, so, barring a freak result, I think it's going to be a while until we see another "shoey" from up high. I'd love to be very wrong on this, but I can't see the gap getting smaller next year.

MH: Bit by bit, Renault are getting there, and it would be nice to think a podium is not out of the question on a day when one or two of the top six drivers have a problem.

KW: Yes. Daniel is a driver who's more than capable of maximizing every opportunity he gets on track -- the honey badger is a fair fighter, but he pounces, and when he pounces, he often wins unexpectedly.

Which team will be the best in the midfield fight?
    LE: Now Force India has stable financial backing, I think they are going to produce the best car of the midfield next year. However, I see Lance Stroll as the weak link and I can imagine Renault grinding out more points by the end of the season with Nico Hulkenberg and Daniel Ricciardo behind the wheel.

NS: Renault looks to be comfortably the best in that battle now. The addition of Daniel Ricciardo only strengthens its place there.

MH: Renault.

KW: Renault. Force India will be stymied by the extra cash, so used to squeezing everything they can out of their budget that the Stroll money will confuse them with an excess of potential development paths.

What will be the most lopsided teammate battle?
    LE: I think Kimi Raikkonen's move to Sauber will see him rediscover the kind of form he had with Lotus in 2012 and 2013. If that's the case, then Antonio Giovinazzi is going to have a hard time keeping pace with him, especially if the car initially proves difficult to understand like this year's C37.

NS: I feel like everyone is going to say Sergio Perez > Lance Stroll, so I'm going with Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly. Gasly is talented, but if Verstappen can carry his current form into 2019, he'll be difficult to beat in equal machinery.

MH: Force India, assuming Lance Stroll gets the last available seat.

KW: Perez-Stroll.

Who will be the breakout star of the year?
    F2 champion George Russell will contest 2019 with Williams. Eric Alonso/Action Plus via Getty Images
    LE: It might not look that impressive from the outside due to the performance of the car and the quality of his teammate, but I can see George Russell getting some very strong results next year. He showed maturity, intelligence and very impressive pace in Formula 2 this year, and I think signing him was Williams' best decision since it bolted a Mercedes engine to its car in 2014.

NS: Alexander Albon at Toro Rosso. Former rivals speak very highly of him indeed, and he should have less pressure on him compared with fellow rookies George Russell and Lando Norris, both at struggling teams with famous names. Albon is also up against the returning Daniil Kvyat, who I'm not really convinced will be much better in F1 at the third time of asking.

MH: George Russell -- and that's no disrespect to Robert Kubica.

KW: Can Charles Leclerc be considered a breakout star when he has already done an excellent job of showing us just how good he is? Of the incoming pack, George Russell was exceptional to watch in F2, but I don't think Williams will have the car to do it. Toro just might deliver, in which case Alexander Albon -- the driver Russell called the most underrated in F2 this year -- will be one to watch.

Who will be the biggest disappointment of the year?
    LE: Following on from my previous answer, I would say the Williams car. Everyone would love to see what Russell and Robert Kubica can do in competitive machinery, but after the exodus of technical staff during the year, I can't see how the team will turn it around in 2019. I sincerely hope I'm wrong as the drivers and legendary team name deserve more.

NS: I think this will be twofold, but both painted in papaya orange. I expect McLaren's dismal run to continue into 2019, and, given its appalling recent track record with young drivers, I can see Lando Norris struggling a lot in his rookie campaign.

MH: Lando Norris. He's going to find it very tough at McLaren, and that might be hard to take after the preseason F2 hype and comparative disappointment this year.

KW: Whichever team boss makes negotiating the next Concorde Agreement more complicated than it needs to be. F1 has a real opportunity for positive change, but it could be scuppered by self-interest.

And finally, will Valtteri Bottas still be driving for Mercedes at the end of 2019?
    Valtteri Bottas looked like a broken figure at certain points this season. Charles Coates/Getty Images
    LE: Without a doubt. Sure, Bottas has underperformed in terms of pure results this year, but nobody would have suggested getting rid of him midway through the season after the bad luck he had in the early rounds. What's more, it would be completely unfair to drop Esteban Ocon in a front-running car midway through the season and with minimal testing -- it simply wouldn't make sense for either driver or the team as a whole. However, to keep his drive in 2020, Bottas will need to do something very special next year, and I think only beating Hamilton -- or finishing a very close second with some bad luck along the way -- will be good enough
    NS: I'm not so sure. Laurence makes a fair point above, but if it's tight at the front again, can Mercedes really afford to keep an underperforming Bottas in the car next season? If he starts the year strongly, as he has done in both campaigns with Mercedes, it should be enough to keep his seat through the year, but if Bottas arrives in Melbourne as the same broken figure we saw in Abu Dhabi, Toto Wolff is surely going to have to consider whether he wants to keep an unchanged formula over a long and gruelling 21-race season.

MH: Really feel for Bottas because I don't think he could have done any more than anyone else when up against the phenomenal speed of Lewis Hamilton. Maybe Valtteri now regrets not throwing it down the inside of Vettel at Bahrain, given the bad luck he's had (and team orders denying a win in Russia). He makes no waves, keeps his head down, works hard. Mercedes would have to give a very good reason for moving him on.

KW: Yes. Will he still be a Mercedes driver at the start of 2020? Only if Lewis retires.

5. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    More sandbagging from Mercedes I bet. "We set a goal of 1100 HP and are only at 1090! Sure we are miles ahead of the others but it is a small setback"

jgonzalesm6, Nortonious and 375+ like this.
  6. DF1

Lets hope Ferrari have exceeded this already :)

Nortonious likes this.
  7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for posting all these. Some very interesting and poignant comments in there which I absolutely loved to hear:

- only Lewis can stop Hamilton from winning the next title
    - no podium for the Aussie, which means - thank God! - no more disgusting shoeys
    - If he doesn't score more points, it's Game Over for Vettel.
    - Lando Norris as the biggest disappointment of the year, wow

Plenty of canon fodder in these answers. :)

subirg and william like this.
  8. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140571/even-williams-a-threat-amid-loophole-fear--wolff

Even Williams an F1 2019 threat amid loophole fear - Mercedes boss

Toto Wolff says even a team such as Williams cannot be discounted from coming up with a Mercedes-beating 2019 Formula 1 car, amid fears of loopholes in the new regulations.

As teams work on honing their cars to new aero rules aimed at improving overtaking, Wolff has reiterated his belief that the order could be turned on its head by teams exploiting potential grey areas.

He thinks a repeat of 2009, when Brawn emerged from nowhere to triumph thanks to its double diffuser design, could be on the cards and that any team has the potential to come out on top.

"I think with the rule changes everything is possible," he said in Russia on Friday, ahead of the FIA Prize Gala.

"It is almost like 2009 where Brawn identified the double diffuser. I think there could be teams that have found loopholes, which others didn't spot, that could make the difference.

"So we are taking everybody seriously: whether it is Ferrari finishing second this year or Williams finishing 10th. All of them could come with a car that can outperform us.

"We are respecting all these teams and the effort they put into it and all of them are being seen as competitors."

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Not about the cars or drivers, but....What are the U.S. broadcast plans for 2019? ESPN doing its own broadcast or buying from Sky again? If so, commercial free? Streaming only?

10. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140578/sainz-leading-mclaren-feels-powerful - Interesting to see how he 'grows' into the role

Carlos Sainz says it feels "powerful" rather than daunting to know that McLaren will be relying on him to help lead the team in the 2019 Formula 1 season.

As he has much more experience than rookie team-mate Lando Norris, Sainz knows that McLaren will be relying more on him to help give it direction.

But rather than feeling wary about the extra responsibility he will have next year, Sainz says it is exciting and empowering.

"It feels good, it feels in a way powerful," he said, when asked by Autosport about if he felt daunted by the new role.

"I'm going to arrive at McLaren in my fifth year in Formula 1. I've gone through two teams, and I still have that World Series [Formula Renault 3.5] championship fresh in my mind.

"So I'm going in with that confidence and a lot of knowledge. When you work for two different teams, with very different characteristics of car balance, of set-up, like it was at Toro Rosso and Renault, I think I've been at the two extremes of car balance.

"Because of that I'm going to McLaren with a lot of knowledge and wanting to also lead, and follow a direction with them that is hopefully a good one."

11. DF1

Maybe the largest impact to racing for 2019 is the front wing designs - https://www.planetf1.com/news/lowe-new-front-wings-will-help-racing/

Williams chief technical officer Paddy Lowe believes that the changes being made to front wings will improve the racing in F1.

New regulations coming in for the 2019 season will force teams to use simpler designs and increase the width of the front wing to 200cm.

However, some teams have raised concerns that these changes will not achieve the goal of making racing better.

There is also another change next year which sees the maximum fuel limit rise from 105kg to 110kg, in an attempt to have less fuel-saving.

However, Lowe believes that the fuel maximum will have less of an impact on the racing than the new simplified front wings will.

“It seems to be popular to say the aerodynamic changes that we’re making won’t make any difference,” Lowe said.

“But I can tell you for sure it’ll make a lot more difference than the fuel limit.”

The Williams man believes that the fuel limit will have no effect, as teams will continue with the same strategies for each race.

“I don’t believe it’s going to make any difference to anything,” he added.

“You put in fuel that makes sense for your race. That’s always been done and it always involves a bit of fuel saving.

“Cars are often doing what we call ‘lift and coast’. They do it for tyres more than fuel as well.

“There might be the odd race where it makes a little bit of difference.”

12. DF1

So Austin might be more popular than ever now??

https://www.planetf1.com/news/award-winning-mexican-gp-now-in-doubt/

The Mexican Grand Prix is now under threat, despite winning the Best Promoter award at the FIA Prize-giving gala on Friday.

It won the prize for the fourth year in succession, taking the spoils every year since its return to the calendar in 2015.

The Autodromo Hermanes Rodriguez includes a section through the Foro Sol baseball stadium, where the podium takes place.
    The race-track also host a round of the Formula E championship, and will host the Race of Champions in January.

However, despite the success of the event, a new national president could see the race scrapped from the F1 calendar.

Andes Manuel Lopez Obrador became president this week and has hinted that the Mexican government will not support an extension to the race’s contract with the FIA.

The new president has already announced an austerity programme which includes selling superfluous properties.

One of the cost-saving measures could be an end to the Grand Prix, with Ana Gabriela Guevara of the Mexican National Sports Commission speaking this week.

“We need to find out how we can solve this situation but it is not the intention that tax money will be released to keep this event in,” Guevara said.

“In Mexico, there are worse things going on as a large part of the population lives below the poverty line.

“The corruption in this country has caused the Grand Prix to return to Mexico.

“A lot of bribes were paid to bring this event to the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez.”

Along with the Mexican GP being in doubt, both Silverstone and Monza could see their positions on the calendar come under scrutiny.

Liberty Media have already announced a Vietnam GP for the 2020 season, and Miami is still expected to be announced in the future.

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That is bad news in my book .

14. DF1

it cannot be a surprise given what country it is and the problems faced. Liberty must have some insight with their analysts and data readily available about the economy and politics. This is not at all 'rocket science'.

15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's not rocket science, but selecting tracks is still way above their pay grade. Look at the horrible track designs for Vietnam and Miami to see proof of this. Their viewership is still in decline, and boring tracks in dumb places isn't going to fix it.

Finlander, jmillard308 and daytona355 like this.
  16. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Funny how the new Mexican government is stating the GP happened because of bribes...... they really are new aren’t they, everyone knows EVERYTHING good that happens in Mexico happens because of bribes doesn’t it? With the majority of the ‘new’ tracks, I thought they were all in place due to financial influences in their favour, why would Mexico have been any different. There are plenty of rich people in Mexico, maybe they will take up the reins and keep it going independent of tax money...? Liberty could always lower the costs to run GPs to save those on the edge .............hehehehe, like that would ever happen....., they’ll just add another pointless country to the roster that wants one

17. DF1

Liberty continue to say they have more interest than their are current venues. Mostly street circuits I would assume!

daytona355 likes this.
  18. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    There seem to be so many rookies in the 2019 grid. Is this the new normal?

I hope Ferrari realise the biggest improvement they can make is to sack their entire strategy team. If they can do that, then we have to be in with a good chance.

Would be nice, for nostalgic reasons, to see Williams and McLaren do better.

And surely the award for most unhappy driver on the grid will go to..... Max Verstappen after a series of race leads go up in expensive titanium alloy smoke as his Honda engines explode over and over and over again..!

daytona355 likes this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  20. DF1

Needless complexity for tires in 2019. Good nothing has changed LOL

J.K.P, subirg and 375+ like this.
  21. DF1

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12475/11570729/f1-news-red-bull-encouraged-by-honda-for-2019-season

Red Bull have been "really encouraged" by the recent progress of their 2019 engine partners Honda.

The team will adopt a different approach to their relationship with Honda compared to the style of McLaren.

Honda supplied McLaren for three years between 2014 and 2016 before becoming Toro Rosso's exclusive power providers last season. In 2019, they will return to the sharp end of the grid with Red Bull, who are determined not to follow McLaren's perceived manner of micromanaging Honda.

"We have done the diverse opposite to McLaren," Red Bull boss Christian Horner told Sky F1. "We've said 'go and build the best engine you can, and then tell us what size radiators you want and we will make it fit'.

"We want Honda to go for power over packaging."
    Red Bull have dropped Renault to switch to Honda, convinced their new partners have greater potential to deliver as much engine power as enjoyed by Ferrari and Mercedes.

"We see an awful lot of encouraging progress being made," added Horner.

"Month by month, they are definitely closing the gap to Mercedes and Ferrari. What we are really encouraged by is the progress Honda are making.

"It's positive for F1."

Red Bull will run a Honda engine for the first time during pre-season testing at Barcelona, with the first test starting on February 18.

Finlander likes this.
  22. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

There’s a long way to fall if they don’t get it right.... they are playing with fire with that Honda, I don’t think even Honda themselves believe they can build a good engine anymore.... but best of luck to them, I want to see more of Maxine mixing it at the front, hopefully behind the Ferrari’s who have had the best winter in a while and come with the best car by half a second, and alongside the Mercedes who will be shivering about which of them he ‘does’ first...hehehehehe

23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Shows how boring F1 has become when the tyre supplier has to make announcements about what colour they are painting the tyres next year....... I remember in the good old days, we didn’t give a **** other than if the team were supplied by Goodyear, Bridgestone or Michelin..... tyre choice was to discuss seconds before they were put on the car, not debated and hyped three months before the start of the season. If I was Pirelli, I’d be more concerned with making tyres that work properly and don’t need nursing for ten laps at a time rather than painting them pretty colours

Nortonious, stever, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  24. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    They are doubling down on stupid. Tires being the primary cause as to why the racing sucks as much as it does. Now they are making it worse.

25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..wich is pretty consistent with f.1 history...they always manage to make thing worse...i must say it's not easy so Kudos to the FIA!