2019 Pre Season thread: Developments, News etc | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2019 Pre Season thread: Developments, News etc

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Dec 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    So...why can’t the teams decide what tyres to run? Why is Pirelli dictating what combinations need to be run each race? (Other than maybe logistics/manufacturing numbers)

Can’t they just get back to racing?

william likes this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #27 jgonzalesm6, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    "Arrivabene just confirmed that the 2019 F1 car will be unveiled on February 15."

Arrivabene today: "Yes, I saw it (2019 car) only two weeks ago. The engineers were very busy before moving on to production and I was more committed to budget and concord agreement than anything else in the last month. Binotto and the team are doing a great job."

also

Gazzetta dello Sport reports that the 2019 Ferrari car would have already outperformed the SF71H in terms of performance (it’s virtually faster) despite the new rule changes for 2019. The 2019 car will contain innovative solutions directed by Mattia Binotto. It is said that power, reliability and driveability would have been further increased, guaranteeing a car package and power unit that offers a better performance overall. The article also says that people in the paddock don‘t expect any overtaking gain through the new rules

blkfxstc, stavura, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I think the process goes like this::
    a) venue announces that they would like to host a F1 race
    b) venue finds a source of funds to pay for the F1 race
    c) if the track can pas safety inspection it goes on calendar.

They (Liberty) does not pick F1 venues,
    When an F1 venues coughs up enough money, they get a race.

4. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I love it when computer generated designs are bragged about...when in fact the car hasn't turned a wheel. At least let the teams have unlimited testing before the season begins.

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

They didnt have such luck with the floor in the later part of the season. Nothing will be confirmed until February. Hopefully the progess shown later with reverting back to the previous configuration will continue in testing on the real track.

6. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140654/ferrari-reveals-2019-car-launch-date

Ferrari has announced that its 2019 Formula 1 car, codenamed internally 670, will be revealed on February 15.

Team principal Maurizio Arrivabene revealed the news during the Autosprint award ceremony of Caschi d'oro, which was held on Thursday evening in Milan at Garage Italia.

The unveiling of the 2019 Ferrari will take place three days before pre-season testing begins at Barcelona in Spain.

In the absence of the traditional Christmas lunch that Ferrari usually held for F1 journalists, Arrivabene took advantage of the prestigious event of the Conti Editore to reveal the launch date.

"The group led by [technical director] Mattia Binotto has been working on next year's single-seater for months now," said Arrivabene, who was accompanied at the ceremony by new signing Charles Leclerc.

"The engines are already running on the test benches and there are parts of the car that are already in production.

"The parts more related to the performance will arrive at the last moment, even if the tension increases because the time is less and less.

"On February 15 we will present the car and everything must be ready for that day.

"Of course it is early to give an overall picture of the car. Simulations are being done and we are working on the simulator, but the real test bench is only the track.

"That's where you confront yourself, comparing the data you've collected during the winter period, and especially where you confront yourself with others.

"The technicians are working hard to complete the car by February 15. We have some information from the guys who work on the simulator, but it's still too early to talk about performance."

Ferrari is the first F1 team to indicate when its 2019 car will be unveiled.

It mounted its strongest championship challenge of the turbo hybrid era in 2018, but still lost out to Mercedes with a late-season slump and did not win a race after the Belgian Grand Prix at the end of the summer break.

Mercedes motorsport chief Toto Wolff recently gave an update on his team's 2019 design that revealed early targets for engine performance had not been achieved.

blkfxstc, stavura and daytona355 like this.
  7. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140661/f1-will-step-up-overtaking-plans-if-2019-ideas-fail

Formula 1 will escalate efforts to improve overtaking in the future if revised aerodynamic rules for the 2019 season do not pay off.

Amid concerns about the difficulties drivers have had following each other with the current generation of F1 cars, a raft of new regulations have been introduced for next year to help the situation.

Wider front wings, revised rear wings plus simpler brake ducts and bargeboards are all aimed at reducing the aero sensitivity of the cars so they can race each other better.

F1's managing director of motorsport Ross Brawn is aware there have been reservations about how much impact the changes will make, but he said the championship will respond with more aggressive ideas for the major 2021 rules overhaul if teams have found ways to work around the new limitations.

"What we learn from this aero programme will be very important for the next bigger step, in 2021," said Brawn in an interview on the official F1 website.

"The point to stress is it's a philosophy and a culture, not just a one-stop solution.

"If we don't achieve everything we want to achieve with these changes, we'll learn from it, press on and carry on with the next phase of changes and we'll keep doing that until we get the cars in a form when they can race each other much more effectively, which they can't at the moment.

"It's useful to see if the teams have been able to evolve and take different directions because we don't want to discover that in 2021."

Brawn is convinced there will be some improvements, despite the scepticism from some teams.

"Until the cars run, we don't know what solutions they have made, but from predictions, we're achieving about 20% improvement," he said.

"So we're about a quarter of the way there to where we think we could be. But it's not a one-stop shop in the sense that you do this and then you don't touch it anymore."

blkfxstc likes this.
  8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    So engine manufacturers are to share their idea's with new entrants should they join in the fray and going forward with the 2021 engine rules; which will remain the same.

This would've helped Honda back in 2015 but oh well.

Jeronimo GTO and 375+ like this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    We are stuck with some version of this engine formula until the end of the ICE in F1--and the manufacturers will make that call. Wonderful.

jgonzalesm6 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  10. DF1

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Quoting myself:eek:
    Instead of ". . . the manufacturers will make that call" I should have said "until the manufacturers pull(or insert) the plug"

12. DF1

13. DF1

14. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    DF1 likes this.
  15. DF1

I think I was believing for about 1.5second lol

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    daytona355 and DF1 like this.
  17. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My concern for next year is that LeClerc will just win enough races to steal enough points from Vettel. Merc have put Bottas in his place and I’m sure they’ll continue to force him solely into a support role. Merc are merciless when it comes to winning... they stop at nothing and I just don’t get the feeling that Ferrari will rise to that level of blind ambition.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

At this point in the conjoncture, I don't see any need to "build castles in the sky" and start speculating about what Leclerc will do against Vettel.

I mean, we don't even know if he will be able to win a GP next year !!

19. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Perhaps. But I think that kid is the real deal and will be competitive. If it weren't for the keystone cops on the pit wall ruining qually and races for Kimi far too many times, I think he had a good chance to win more races. How many? I don't know. I see no reason, however, that given good strategy that Chuck can't pull out a couple or so wins under the right conditions. If Vettel is the dominant driver, than every win hurts this WDC, which is why Merc relegated Bottas to blocker any time he managed to get out of his own way and actually have a decent race.

All this of course depends on if Merc don't just come back with another ultra dominant car. It seems that whenever Toto says they're having issues, it somehow ultimately translates into "we actually found another 2 tenths".

stavura, sammysaber and daytona355 like this.
  20. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Hamiltons seat fitting in the 2019 car.

Love the guys sweater-->John Mclane, Nakatomi Plaza, Hans Gruber.......yippie ki yay [explicative]

[​IMG]

Nortonious likes this.
  21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Technically when the lights go out on the first race, both Max and Gasly will have the same number of points.
    It is likely Max will be 5-8 grid places in front of Gasly..........

william and DF1 like this.
  22. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Gas is an aggressive driver. Max is... well “aggressive” too I guess. Ita going to be interesting to see what happens when these guys are lined up on the grid next to each other.

23. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thinking about the sound for next year... are we going to night RPMs now that there’s more fuel? I think that couldn’t hurt. I was watching some old races from 2010 and 2011 and it reminded me just how much F1 has lost out on the overall spectacle of it all.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I gather that Uncle Marko will soon tell Gasly that one aggressive driver in the script is enough and Max is having that role !!!

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, Max is Number One at Red Bull, and Gasly has the supporting role.