2019 ROAD & TRACK PERFORMANCE CAR OF THE YEAR | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2019 ROAD & TRACK PERFORMANCE CAR OF THE YEAR

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dilusha, Sep 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    After two straights and two corners the speeds read as follows:

Ferrari; 127, 56,101, 43
    Porsche; 122, 47, 99, 53

I couldn’t be bothered to do the rest but even after 2 corners it is very confusing. Pista much quicker on the straight and 9mph quicker on bend one but 10mph slower on turn 2. I think these laps will not be representative other than to say the Pista is very very quick. There is just too much driver impact on the laptime given the conditions.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Im not one to get all riled up by these track comparisons but I would have thought the Pista would have fared better.

I mean you named your car Pista- track in Italian. And it can’t beat a German rival?

Hopefully the car lives up to all the hype.

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I dont think it matters most Ferrari owners care more about subjective things such as "emotion" vs all out performance. We've been through this. For the Pista and most Ferraris they will never see the track anyways, it's just bragging rights.

I would take the Pista every time hands down regardless of the time. There are already more than a few GT2RSs for sale and sitting, I doubt you see the same for Pista for quite some time.

4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Very true and I’m one of these emotion guys as I love my Gt3rs. Lots of emotion. Love the 488, lots of emotion. And yes we have debated the 488 vs 720 thing as naseum.

But the excuse with the 488 losing to the 720 in all our speed was that 720 was newer model. The Posts is supposed to change that. It’s the latest and greatest and while I’m not one to track my cars- just have never done it, I would be disappointed if Pista didn’t win. That’s not a good coming out party for the the brands latest and greatest.

greg328, Jo Sta7 and of2worlds like this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    ? more like swan song of an old platform. And even if the Pista is faster the 7xx LT will destroy it. So what. Then Ferrari comes out with the 488 replacement. And then ....................................................

6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Its still the latest and greatest in terms of their model. thats what I meant to say. And yes 7xxLT will destroy it and then we will have the 588 from Ferrari and then the 8xx from Mclaren and then the 688 from Ferrari. Its never ending.

Automoblog, Ash Patel and BJK like this.
  7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I think we are very close to the point where we are splitting hairs. Even the Senna barely improves on the P1 and for some comparisons the 720.

SoCal to az likes this.
  8. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
    How can it be 9MPH faster around the first corner then 10MPH slower on the next ??
    Something seems wrong here.

9. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Yes, that’s my point. Unless the conditions give so much driver variance, which means we are pre-judging something that is probably irrelevant.

10. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Doubt it was a serious test. People don't use Harry's Lap Timer if it was a serious test. The internal GPS can give skewed results in speed. One has to use external GPS if they want to get accurate speed results with Harry's Lap Timer.

the lap time would be accurate but not the speeds, etc.

nmcclure likes this.
  11. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I think we have to keep in mind that these test laps were simply some practice runs for it makes no sense that they would get their final times in a semi-wet track condition.

We need to wait to see what the final results on the lap times are before we can make any sort of conclusion. My guess is that the GT2 and the Pista will be within a few tenths of a second of each other which is a pretty good results either way. The Senna will be at least two seconds a lap quicker and it should be considering the price. Final results should be out within the week.

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and nmcclure like this.
  12. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Did they have the track for more then one day? It would be a real bummer if they were only able to test in semi-wet conditions.

13. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    All cars in one shot! ;)

[​IMG]

Afonsolaw, Gh21631, Jo Sta7 and 3 others like this.
  14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    This is the conclusion from a 6 car mega-test from a highly respected UK magazine. Final order was Pista, RS, Senna, Alpine, Vantage, M2.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What were the lap times for the Pista, 2RS and Senna?

16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I looked and unbelievably they don’t seem to be given. The venue was an old French F1 track called Charade. Top Gear also recently did their PCOTY for 2018 there with some of the same competitors too. The Alpine won that but I don’t know about the other places or laptimes.

17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Shadowfax, stavura and of2worlds like this.
  18. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Lets not get carried away. This is Car magazine in the UK. They don't bother with the stopwatch, it's all touchy feely stuff. While that has its place, we have to wait for a proper comparison from another magazine.

nmcclure likes this.
  19. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Someone kind enough to get the Car magazine and post those test results here? :)

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    LoL at the reviewers who proved that the Senna destroys on track yet they pick it third.

Juvendude, Ash Patel and nmcclure like this.
  21. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Didn't Top gear have any numbers? :)

22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    So what, you would buy it if it felt terrible but beat the RS by 0.1s around a track driven by a driver who is either a professional and you couldn’t repeat his time or is not a professional and is therefore unrepresentative? This is not getting carried away, this is exactly what people should make a decision on. The only question is whether CAR’s view would coincide with me or anyone else considering buying one.

stavura, Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  23. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Haven’t bought the magazine just googled the result. Maybe someone else saw the full article?

24. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Perhaps the fact that it is three times the price, has zero luggage space, is a much more track-focused and less road-focused car and as they said is less ‘playful’ due to being more dedicated to laptime only. No one doubts the Senna laptime will be the best by a good way. Doesn’t mean we should all want one though I personally would not blame anyone who did. Seems a better idea for a car than even the P1, though nowhere near as good to look at.

Seems to me there are a lot of contributors here who would be rather pleased for the Pista to be declared inferior to its peers. In which case a long-established, professional magazine, who have actually driven all the cars in question is a far better source for me than those people.

Zlaatan, stavura, fil and 1 other person like this.
  25. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have an electronic version and they don’t give laptimes. Maybe they figured it is not relevant (and they would be correct) in comparing an Alpine with 250bhp and a Senna with nearly 800.