2020 F40 Icona ...Its Coming, Get Excited!!!! | Page 20 | FerrariChat

2020 F40 Icona ...Its Coming, Get Excited!!!!

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by FerrariFR33458, Mar 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    The T50 makes perfect sense and that sold out. A manual V12 mid engine Ferrari would in my view be no different. For all we know this car might not be hybrid at all!

I am sure any Icona series car is very profitable!

elmadi, babgh, jpalmito and 1 other person like this.
  2. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    What about the engine then? Surely it is F140 series. But is it LaFerrari size (6.3 l) or 812 size (6.5 l). Has the engine block external dimension remained the same? I'm aware that bore got increased from Enzo to LaFerrari by 2 mm and then the stroke from LaFerrari to 812 by 2.8 mm.

3. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    And don’t forget the F50 transmission had to handle at least 300 less than the new Icona

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JagShergill, F2003-GA and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I also miss the choke... those were the times.

Tenney likes this.
  5. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    It is much cheaper for Gordon Murray to engineer a manual gearbox to T50 than going for automated one. It also serves his minimum weight concept. Ferrari, on the other hand, has a highly sophisticated automatic gearbox available. Why would they engineer a manual one then?

elmadi and ingegnere like this.
  6. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I guess the nail in the coffin for Ferrari was spending € 10m to develop a manual gearbox for the '08/'09 California and only two customers ordered one with such transmission. Lack of demand by the clientele and the desider to deliver the maximum performance led to the demise of manual gearboxes. They're not coming back.

There was also an old joke by Montezemolo (can't seem to find the article or video online, right now)..but he met a friend who ordered a manual 599 GTB and he asked him "Why on earth would you order a manual over a DCT?!"...obviously hinting at the fact that the F1 gearbox, even back in the day, was already superior in terms of performance, accuracy and usability.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    It's no stop/start, but kinda miss it, too ...

8. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  9. 611LW

611LW Karting

Feb 26, 2020
    Bavaria, Germany
    Definitely sounds like it has an 812 engine in the video. And that's no LaFerrari steering wheel either

10. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Alright so assume they are using using a 812 engine the development cost of which has probably been recouped ages ago, likewise the gearbox so why not offer a manual for those who want it, if I were spending the type money this Icona is likely to cost it would be nice to have an option of a manual.

Sure they have a highly sophisticated double clutch gearbox but I then have to ask why bother calling these cars "Icona" when one the principle driving characteristics of the cars they apparently pay homage to is not present? I am not saying only offer the manual but at this price level surely it could be offered as an option?

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    A manual would decompose the whole experience and engineering work. These are sophisticated supercars, a manual would be like putting a turboprop engine to a fighter plane; previous century tech.

Senad and perrinnation like this.
  12. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    812 still has the same engine block as Enzo, but bore and stroke have been enlarged to maximum. I think this more or less confirms that new Icona will use the latest 6.5 litre version. Not quite sure which gearbox will be used. LaFerrari gearbox is one option and can certainly handle the increased power of ICE if hybrid system is removed.

13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Ferrari have bought lots of gearboxes from Graziano over the years - they make the 7 speed manual for Aston which has similar power so why not use this or a 5 speed variation (to match the invite gift) - the margin on these cars will cover a lot of re-engineering/development

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Cause we don't live in 1997.

Romaihi, Senad and ingegnere like this.
  15. Lcawley

Lcawley Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Lance C. Cawley
    I think it will be unveiled to the public on Saturday night at the world final awards ceremony. Invitations have been sent to eligible buyers earlier in the week as Marcel indicated.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Agreed. Besides, isn’t the Huayra replacement expected to offer an optional manual transmission? If Pagani with substantially less resources can do it, why can’t Ferrari?

17. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I think you will find this is the LaFerrari replacement mute not the icona

18. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    How do you work that out when the cost of the manual T50 box has to be recovered across only 100 examples, where as there will be far more Icona's and other derivatives to spread the similar cost across. The other fly in the ointment of your reasoning is that the track version o the T50 of which only 15 will be made has a bespoke fully automated gearbox so they are hardly on a budget as you seem to suggest,, cost is hardly an issue at these levels

Xtrac build both for GMD and have done in the past for Ferrari so could do again.

Clearly the market wants the option once more, even if it is seen by those that wont even be buying an example, as a retrograde step.

We shall see soon enough anyway.

jpalmito likes this.
  19. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    How would it?

20. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I'm not sure if we should compare Ferrari to these smaller companies and what makes sense for them. But still, after having a second though, I have to admit that perhaps you are right and manual could be an option for the new Icona after all.

I originally thought this more from the point that previous Icona's were really using the existing tech (although they did update the engine). That said, it appears the new Icona will get more extensive changes due to removal of hybrid system. Manual would be highly unlikely if hybrid system was retained. And what I have understood, Ferrari will need to add hybrid system for its standard V12 lineup too.

But surely, by sending those gear shift gates to selected customers, Ferrari is making a strong statement. How could they have came up with such an idea if manual was not an option? Ferrari should know what customers start to think when receiving such an item.

jpalmito likes this.
  21. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    From emissions point of view this may be the last change to introduce manual gearbox before the full model range hybridization and electrification takes place. Perhaps Ferrari wants to take this step now while they still can and create an iconic collectible.

Tenney likes this.
  22. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Yes. And yet it is well within brand character as the crazy hot chick of car companies to do exactly this, and then drop a "not possible" on three-pedals at the reveal ...

of2worlds likes this.
  23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    A state of the art engine and control electronics, only to be hindered by a slow and clunky manual box, that cannot keep up with the rest of the car. The H pattern memorabilia they sent will be justified by something like this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud, Senad and F140C like this.
  24. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Or the fact it will be a modern take on the P4?