2020 F40 Icona ...Its Coming, Get Excited!!!! | Page 21 | FerrariChat

2020 F40 Icona ...Its Coming, Get Excited!!!!

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by FerrariFR33458, Mar 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    They know it's a market but the problem is parts, labor and maintenance. It would cost them a small fortune to use to different platforms.

2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The camo mule has paddles as posted earlier so debate over. In the end most modern owners would not want or be able to drive a manual with an 850 hp F140 in it even if barely delivery miles. Mention heel-toe and probably think your talking about shoes and not transmissions. :)

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    With respect, a proper manual is not clunky, spend some time driving a 355 and tell me if you think that gearbox is clunky? The level of interaction offered by a manual to me fits perfectly with this supposed "Icona" nature of these cars. Honestly did anyone buy a Monza as a track day car, does anyone really care what its 0-60 time is?

Ferrari in my view have a opportunity to further differentiate these Icona cars from the regular range by at least offering a manual as an option. As for that gimmick "gate" in the Roma and SF90, it reminds me of an old Chrysler which had gearshift buttons on the console.

elmadi, 444sp and jpalmito like this.
  4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    'Clunky' thy name is 599 :D

As noted in another thread Ferrari did a poor job of designing the electronics for the 599 3 pedal version model. The revs dropped TOO MUCH between gear changes.
    For Ferrari the manual transmission experience is now in the past. There are other manufacturers that will sell you a new car with 3 pedals; just not Ferrari.

5. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013

That has now been rectified in the updated ecu software that is available for the 599 manual conversions taking shape

6. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Exactly, it will just be a bottleneck.

Also, developing a reliable manual transmission that can handle 800+ HP and 700+ Nm of torque is no easy task for any manufacturer.

Senad and REALZEUS like this.
  7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The transmission exists eg Graziano for Aston and the sophistication of the software doesn't matter as the cars will just sit in collections with a few turning up at local C&C on very rare occasions

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    A Ferrari has to drive well. BTW, the auto in Astons is much preferable to the manual.

9. Cenzoooo

Cenzoooo Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    Queens, NY
    Full Name:
    Vincent L
    FWIW tech has come a long way in manual transmissions. The last generation Corvette and Nissan Z both offered auto rev matching built in.
    Why can't a sp coal limited use Ferrari have a manual transmission that is easy to operate in day to day driving?

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The problem doesn't lie in day to day driving. Most daily cars in Europe have a manual anyway. The problem with manuals is that they disrupt the power delivery, hindering both performance and car control, on top of requiring to take one hand of the steering wheel. It's just an anachronism.

F140C likes this.
  11. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I love manuals but I fear this discussion is drifting into wishful thinking. Ferrari's ethos has always been forward looking and if it doesn't make the car go faster, don't bother. Their ticker symbol is RACE (not FUN, PLAY, or WEEE). The next Icona is a modern interpretation of a classic race car. Looking at all that, why would we think Ferrari is going to throw antiquated technology in a modern race car that goes against their ethos? I don't see how that makes sense.

Now having said all that, my personal dream would be a truly analog racer based on the P4 that feels like the Porsche Carrera GT. Manual, limited driver aids, light and raw. However, I know that's wishful thinking and what I might personally want isn't necessarily a match for reality.

F140C and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Plus, I'm sure Ferrari is thinking that if someone wants an analog manual, go buy a F355 or 550 (or whatever) with a manual. They exist and are going to be much less expensive than the upcoming Icona. That or I can always save my money for a real P4 AND pick up the next Icona. Best of both worlds! Now let me see... how much does a real P4 cost? Ooooh, right. I'll be saving for a while!

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    or you could just switch your allegiance to Aston Martin and make P4 ownership redundant... :(

14. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    The only original car from the Ferrari 330 P4 is owned by Lawrence Stroll (0856). If this car is ever up for sale, it could easily cost $ 70 million or more... :D

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I would love that too, but I m sure it won’t happen with this car. It will be lighter than a LaF as it won’t have batteries but there is no way Ferrari will re-engineer it into a manual

Still I am sure it will be an awesome machine
    November can’t come fast enough

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 and 456-boy like this.
  16. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yes, and the problem is not the engineering or finances it requires but rather the culture shift that would be needed within the company. Ferrari has always been about racing, not sporting and there's a reason you won't see an F1 car on the grid with the "latest manual transmission technology".

17. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I don't think any car could make owning a P4 redundant.

F140C and of2worlds like this.
  18. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    You may want to check your info.

NürScud, of2worlds and JagShergill like this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It's gone.

Marcel Massini

Boots, elmadi and of2worlds like this.
  20. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    One off Aston Martin Victor is probably one of the best modern car ever made !

21. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    One off Aston Martin Victor is probably one of the best modern car ever made !

of2worlds likes this.
  22. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    What about Victor ???

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    What about it?

24. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    what about f251 ? will it be a win-win formula ? please tell us how it looks.. is it beautiful ?